Thai Army Call Up For My Son

palusa

Guys need some help here, my son half Thai half UK has been living in the UK for most of his life, his mother left us many years ago, he does not speak Thai.

I have just been informed from the ex's family that the army are looking for my son as he was called up but didnt appear and now he is wanted for arrest. I want him to be proud of his parentage but i have been told if he returns to Thailand he will be arrested at the airport and immeadiately imprisoned. Has any one had experience of this and if so what did they do.

Regards Palusa

No experience with same situation, but if he lived in UK most of his life he would not have Thai ID (available at 15 years) no school record in Thailand, not on house book, etc, so how does the army even know he exists? Sound like the start of a request to take care of the situation, but monies from your side would be needed........ How old is the boy? additional details to answer my intial questions may help in answering your questions.

This is a load of crap. As slapout pointed out, your son would not have had a Thai ID and would therefore not have been "on the books". Even if he is, he's exempt from any callup because he's presently living overseas. Additionally, the individual directly participates in the lottery to determine selection for compulsory service, which he could not reasonably be expected to attend.

Call their bluff, talk to the Army Attache.

There are hundreds if not thousands of half Thai kids living in the UK - UK citizens - who speak no thai and consider themselfs Brits. Do you really think that the Thai army could oblige these people to serve. Can you imagine all the Thai kids with ferang fathers who have spent most of their lives in Thailand being obliged to serve in some foreign army because their fathers nationality.

If he is not on a tabien bahn and does not have a Thai ID card, then there is no way the Army will be looking for him.

Neither do they go "looking for you" and I have never heard of anyone being arrested on the spot at the airport. I know Thais who are AWOL from active duty as well as Thais who didn't show up for the lottery draft and the Army doesn't even come looking for them and they are in the country!

Load of codswallop, my advice? ignore them

Re your question on call up,i am currently living in Australia,married to a thai lady,her son now aged 21,and living in Australia,has also been advised by his family in Thail,that he must return for the army,My wife advises he can pay a fee (brown paper bag style??) On arrival back to Thailand,and all will be exempt. However if he does not perform this,when he returns for Holls etc,he would be refused entry out of Thailand.

Hope this assists.

This is a load of crap. As slapout pointed out, your son would not have had a Thai ID and would therefore not have been "on the books". Even if he is, he's exempt from any callup because he's presently living overseas. Additionally, the individual directly participates in the lottery to determine selection for compulsory service, which he could not reasonably be expected to attend.

No its not crap, my ex's family are great guys, my son used to go to school in Thailand for about 5 years, he has a Tabien Bahn and ID card, he is now 18 years old. i have tried and tried to get advice from the Thai Embassy London but its like drawing teeth, i got a decent response from the consulate lady in Hull but it was not what i wanted to hear as she confirmed the probability of my sons arrest on arrival, even advising us on our return to go in on his UK passport

I will try again with the Attache theme but i must admit its the first ive heard about those guy existing, even my Thai freinds in the UK did not know. Thank you for all who tried to help i just hope i can get passed the press 3 option when i phone the Embassy again ( i could'nt all last week)

Re your question on call up,i am currently living in Australia,married to a thai lady,her son now aged 21,and living in Australia,has also been advised by his family in Thail,that he must return for the army,My wife advises he can pay a fee (brown paper bag style??) On arrival back to Thailand,and all will be exempt. However if he does not perform this,when he returns for Holls etc,he would be refused entry out of Thailand.

Hope this assists.

It does NOT "assist" because it's total nonsense.

If your son has a Thai Passport he CANNOT be refused entry into ("out of" ???? ) Thailand. He's a Thai Citizen and cannot be refused entry to his own Country.

Forget that scenario.

Nor "must he return for the army".

If he resides overseas then he is free of the obligation for Military Service until he returns to Thailand.

Patrick

my son used to go to school in Thailand for about 5 years, he has a Tabien Bahn and ID card, he is now 18 years old

many countries have rules (including mine), that children that have lived over a certain number of years in the country, or have dual citizenship for that country, MUST serve in the army of the country in which they have citizenship or years of residency, but usually there is a beurocratic procedure to get exempted.

the problem will arrise when and if he wants to marry overseas; my husband (thai) had to provide his exemption from army when he married me (in thailand, for the thai side of the marriage registration. i think also israel required it , as here, if he had served in his home army or was legally exempt in his home country, he would not have to serve here once he became a citizen. here, any male under a certain age must serve, even if its for a month, and even if its just making coffee for officers. he will not have to do any service here because he has the legal exemption. i suppose that in coutnries that dont have mandatory military service dont request permission for having served or been legally exempt form service for home country.

we had my husband's brother running around in bangkok while we were here at home (having already returned home from our marriage thingy there) with a power of attorney to get the paper translated to english and certified to be sent to israel for us.

not sure how other thai males who've married foreigners in 'foreignland' dealt with army papers/lack thereof, but better to take care of things if he is registered on a tabian baan.

maybe pm samram. he seems to know a lot about thsi sort of thing.

bina

israel

No its not crap, my ex's family are great guys, my son used to go to school in Thailand for about 5 years, he has a Tabien Bahn and ID card, he is now 18 years old. i have tried and tried to get advice from the Thai Embassy London but its like drawing teeth, i got a decent response from the consulate lady in Hull but it was not what i wanted to hear as she confirmed the probability of my sons arrest on arrival, even advising us on our return to go in on his UK passport

I will try again with the Attache theme but i must admit its the first ive heard about those guy existing, even my Thai freinds in the UK did not know. Thank you for all who tried to help i just hope i can get passed the press 3 option when i phone the Embassy again ( i could'nt all last week)

Has an official call up letter come? If not, then don't worry.

Being out of the country (and importantly, not having anyone to go and report in your place) is a perfectly valid excuse. When i finally reported (aged 29) I was required to pay a 200 baht fine, and that was it and they issued my release certificate for being too old. The max fine was 400 baht, but cause I volunteered to turn up, they lowered it to 200.

For broader information, check out a recent thread I wrote on the issue.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Militar...58#entry3157358

If they decide to REALLY chase him, then assuming he is in university education, then the embassy in London can issue a certificate certifying that is the case which will release him from that obligation while he is studying.

I came and went often from Thailand before I was 30 on a Thai passport and stayed for extended periods of time. Immigration and the Military don't talk to each other, so there is no problem for him to come back as often and as long as it is possible. But remember, if he does move back permanently, before 30, he is obliged to report.

Without giving blatant illegal advice, please be assured it is VERY common here for Thai conscription to be avoided via other means. :) At least 1/3 of my university students go this route. Just ask around (on another forum?) or perhaps any other Thai friends you may have.

Without giving blatant illegal advice, please be assured it is VERY common here for Thai conscription to be avoided via other means. :) At least 1/3 of my university students go this route. Just ask around (on another forum?) or perhaps any other Thai friends you may have.

How about a blatantly LEGAL means to avoid such a situation?

Can anyone confirm that if a Thai-born boy (100% Thai or 50%...!) volunteers for the Thai equivalent of the military cadet force AT SCHOOL he will never be faced with national service later........??

How about a blatantly LEGAL means to avoid such a situation?

Can anyone confirm that if a Thai-born boy (100% Thai or 50%...!) volunteers for the Thai equivalent of the military cadet force AT SCHOOL he will never be faced with national service later........??

As MCA said, they will not be drafted. But if it comes to a war, they are in the national reserve army and will be expected to serve and protect their country.

There is no such thing as 50% Thai. You are either Thai or you are not. You may have also another nationality, but you would still be Thai.

Yeah it's true about being exempted from service if you did cadets during your school years in LOS, but this won't help the OP's son who has been going to school in the UK. I think Thai kids just go to their regular school and do cadets in their free time and Saturday Sunday, think it's called 'Lor Dor'. The OP's kids won't have done this though.

"his mother left us many years ago"

"I have just been informed from the ex's family that the army are looking for my son as he was called up but didnt appear and now he is wanted for arrest"

It is kind of odd the mother left many years ago, yet the mothers family knows exactly how to get in touch with you?

How would the Army know to contact YOUR ex-family and not you or your son's mother directly?

Seems kind of odd in Thailand someone would go out of their way to find the son's name for military service, and then unable to track down the mother or father, yet can track down the mothers family? Who ever puts in this kind of effort, adding in there are probably a million kids in this same situation.

I suspect if they could not find you or your ex-wife, give up and move to next case. That is the Thai way.

I don't see how they would have a clue to tie your son to your ex-wives family but they would have a record of your son's passport and any movement in and out of the Kingdom

"his mother left us many years ago"

"I have just been informed from the ex's family that the army are looking for my son as he was called up but didnt appear and now he is wanted for arrest"

It is kind of odd the mother left many years ago, yet the mothers family knows exactly how to get in touch with you?

How would the Army know to contact YOUR ex-family and not you or your son's mother directly?

Seems kind of odd in Thailand someone would go out of their way to find the son's name for military service, and then unable to track down the mother or father, yet can track down the mothers family? Who ever puts in this kind of effort, adding in there are probably a million kids in this same situation.

I suspect if they could not find you or your ex-wife, give up and move to next case. That is the Thai way.

I don't see how they would have a clue to tie your son to your ex-wives family but they would have a record of your son's passport and any movement in and out of the Kingdom

Oh dear, poor lad dont you know about a certain document over here regarding families called Tabien Bahn, on it you have the people who domicile at the particular property along with all their details like sex age etc. Mate i only asked for advice, what is it on this site that makes the bitter amongst us become an amature Clouseau. I mean do you get your rocks off trying to be super sleuth, you know what you are doing Clouseau? you are putting people, genuine people, off from asking for help because you get sanctimonious grumpy types, conducting a unnecessary witch hunt and lop sided analysis and for what? Get something to do with your day and leave a potentialy good site with accumulated handy knowledge alone for people to enjoy and benefit from.

I would like to thank you guys who tried to help, i really appreciate it. Its a shame that some people have nothing better to do than sit by their PC's and publish their bitterness to fellow men on a site that is such a valuble tool where people can get help and advice. You the decent guys make this site, dont let the warped few put you off for the sakes of others that need you.

I am really appreciative. Palusa

My gut feeling is that your son's birth was registered in Thailand - I am assuming he was born in Thailand? From there it went onto the house papers.

ID card or not - he then would be in the "system"

He might be in the system, but if he is not currently registered on a tabien baan they can't call him. The call up is organised at the local amphur.

Has an official call up letter come? If not, then don't worry.

Being out of the country (and importantly, not having anyone to go and report in your place) is a perfectly valid excuse. When i finally reported (aged 29) I was required to pay a 200 baht fine, and that was it and they issued my release certificate for being too old. The max fine was 400 baht, but cause I volunteered to turn up, they lowered it to 200.

For broader information, check out a recent thread I wrote on the issue.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Militar...58#entry3157358

If they decide to REALLY chase him, then assuming he is in university education, then the embassy in London can issue a certificate certifying that is the case which will release him from that obligation while he is studying.

I came and went often from Thailand before I was 30 on a Thai passport and stayed for extended periods of time. Immigration and the Military don't talk to each other, so there is no problem for him to come back as often and as long as it is possible. But remember, if he does move back permanently, before 30, he is obliged to report.

200 baht Samran. Bloody good deal.

I would follow the advise of DR Pat Pong. Contact the Thai Army and find out. My guess is the Thai army is not " drafting" at this point in time. Too many of them lined up to join now, the Army has to turn them away. If mandatory service is required, then to protect his dignity and citizenship, he should respond. Then he can get his service responsibility out of the way before returning to school. Plus, maby he can teach them a thing or two. Plus, maby he will learn a thing or two. If you manage to gain an exemption of some kind ( preferable, since he doesn't even speak Thai), get something in writing.

I myself got the draft notice (was sent to my aunt's since I'm on her house registration) but since I was still studying in Australia I couldn't do anything about it. From that point on I've pretty much just ignored it. No problems so far, even brought a house earlier this year and got my own house registration book where I was put as 'chao baan' no problem whatsoever. Next year I turn 29, and unless there's a compelling reason for me to get the exemption letter (is there?) I'll just go on ignoring it :)