Idiotic Tourist Acts I Have Seen Recently

DJ Pat

I say old bean, Jolly unfair of you to remonstrate with folks from Ol' Blighty. I rather thought we were considered gentlemen. typical Brits?? or typical of the place you experience such atrocities?

Khao sarn road destroys people and their preception of Thailand. They ought to chuck out all the sad farangs whom have lived there for years 'advising' newbies and start over.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say old bean, Jolly unfair of you to remonstrate with folks from Ol' Blighty. I rather thought we were considered gentlemen. typical Brits?? or typical of the place you experience such atrocities?

Khao sarn road destroys people and their preception of Thailand. They ought to chuck out all the sad farangs whom have lived there for years 'advising' newbies and start over.

then where would you go DJ Pat? :o

What the heck is Ol'blighty?

Is it a prison?

Ole Blighty = England (or maybe G. Britain)

It’s a relic of British India. It comes from a Hindi word bilayati, foreign, which is related to the Arabic wilayat, a kingdom or province. Sir Henry Yule and Arthur C Burnell explained in their Anglo-Indian dictionary, Hobson-Jobson, published in 1886, that the word was used in the names of several kinds of exotic foreign things, especially those that the British had brought into the country, such as the tomato (bilayati baingan) and especially to soda-water, which was commonly called bilayati pani, or foreign water.

Blighty was the inevitable British soldier’s corruption of it. But it only came into common use as a term for Britain at the beginning of the First World War in France about 1915. It turns up in popular songs There’s a ship that’s bound for Blighty, We wish we were in Blighty, and Take me back to dear old Blighty, put me on the train for London town, and in Wilfred Owen’s poems, as well as many other places.

In modern Australian usage, Old has been added, as in Old Country and Old Dart, as a sentimental reference to Britain.

What the heck is Ol'blighty?

Is it a prison?

Naw.......................................that's Autstralia

Funny, some of the rudest Brits I have met have been middle class and some of the nicest "working class proles" as you put it.

I'll add a story to the mix. We have some crazy balding older Australian guy staying in the area. He comes in for a coffee which one of our girls makes (freshly brewed, not nescafe). When he goes to pay she tells him 30 baht (it's on the menu too) which he refuses to pay and gives her 20 baht after arguing with her about the price. This is the same fool that wants to buy my husband's speedboat and take it around the peninsula, up the Andaman sea side and over to India. In a 14' speedboat! If he can't afford the ten baht for the coffee he surely can't afford the boat.

Talked to the owner of the bungalows he is staying at, he has scared off all his other guests and refuses to pay. Police time I think. Or just beat the crap out of him and toss him out. Either one works.

Seems he is mentally ill? (a 10,000 km sea voyage in a 14' speedboat indicates that). Given that, let the police sort it out. No need to thrash him physically....

Ole Blighty = England  (or maybe G. Britain)
It’s a relic of British India. It comes from a Hindi word bilayati, foreign, which is related to the Arabic wilayat, a kingdom or province. Sir Henry Yule and Arthur C Burnell explained in their Anglo-Indian dictionary, Hobson-Jobson, published in 1886, that the word was used in the names of several kinds of exotic foreign things, especially those that the British had brought into the country, such as the tomato (bilayati baingan) and especially to soda-water, which was commonly called bilayati pani, or foreign water.

Blighty was the inevitable British soldier’s corruption of it. But it only came into common use as a term for Britain at the beginning of the First World War in France about 1915. It turns up in popular songs There’s a ship that’s bound for Blighty, We wish we were in Blighty, and Take me back to dear old Blighty, put me on the train for London town, and in Wilfred Owen’s poems, as well as many other places.

In modern Australian usage, Old has been added, as in Old Country and Old Dart, as a sentimental reference to Britain.

I suppose that's where (India) "up the kyber" came from as well? :o

I have this vision of a North London dinner party sometime over the coming Summer. Gerry will be pouring Simon a lager.

'So Simon, tell us all about your trip to Thailand this Spring. How was it?'

'Oh it was a truly cultural experience Gerry. Picture the sight of ancient temple ruins resplendent in the sunlight, the steamy rainforest as seen from elephant-back, we had a real cultural insight'

'So did it all go without a hitch'

Yah, except when I got twatted on Khao San Road but it wasn't my fault. That place is such a tourist trap that someone must have pissed him off before I gave him a playful pat on the head...........'

Professor,I am not teasing this time but you are really so preoccupied with class that it distorts your judgement.In the anecdote above Gerry from North London banging on about picturesque Thailand is a rather silly though no doubt well meaning professional person, probably middle or upper middle class -right? It is completely inconceivable that the same Gerry in KSR would be such a thoughtless scumbag as illustrated in your anecdote.Let's face it while not impossible that such a creep would be of the educated middle class, its much more likely he would be a stereotypical modern British prole.So your anecdote doesn't really make any sense.Surely on reflection, because I can see you are no fool, you recognise I at least have a point.

Boris,here is some technical Thai Visa jargon:

1) A witty retort: a lot of people use this form of conversation to show their views in a light hearted manner.

2) A joke: Some of our more humerous writers use this instead of a witty retort.

3) Light hearted banter: Normally used between two or more people that know each other.

4) Take the p1ss: An outsider commenting on no.3

5) Tongue in cheek (not to be confused with tongue in arsch): A remark not to be taken too seriousl,but serious enough to provoke outbursts from the more touchy poster.(See 6)

6) A stupid pillock: Someone like you who can't understand no's 1-5

Difficult to know what point is being made here.Still being called a "stupid pillock" indicates strong feelings are involved.I therefore checked his website proudly displayed a photograph of the guy.Without wishing to be unkind,it told me all I needed to know.

I know him personally Bore-us.....and you're way out of line!

Mine works behind a desk in a classy hotel and still gets "offers" from these idiots.  :o 

so you must have been the first succesful one then :D

:D:D

It's so sad what these girls have to go through, when these w*nkers think they will be able to get these girls for money.

I am sure they should be briefed beforehand not to be too friendly to most male tourists who check in.

Last week coming back fromKrabi I was sitting at the departure lounge atKrabi airport watching these two brittish ######s in their tank tops covered in tattoos and looking pretty/sounding aggressive. Found myself thinking I hope I dont have to sit near them on the flight and listen to the <deleted> coming out of their gobs........sure enough.......smack behind the pair of them. All was ok until the food comes out......really just a snack for the one hour flight.......then they started complaining that is was'nt fit for pigs blah blah blah........they both had pretty dumpy looking girlfriends comlete with braided hair and overtanned look.........and you shoul dhave heard the tripe coming out of their mouths......it was embarrassing.

When they called for the boss to come so they could complain about the snack food, I thought ...poor guy......but to my surprise the Thai guy gave back as good as they could give out.......and these two gits just sat there gutless to do anymore. The Thai guy really put them in their place.......then they start asking for ID's of the flight staff and taking photos of the food......geesus....... why do people like this have to carry on like pork chops ?

Sad but true.

More sad is some agree.

Walking home one (not too late) evening i passed 2 israeli guys arguing with a BG over how much, trying to get her to drop the price. As they see me walk past they had the cheek to ask me if i wanted to go 3rds to make it cheaper for them? Huh! Not sure if thats stupid or just ###### ignorant. Told the Thai girl in Thai then repeated it in English for the benefit of the israeli tossers that she could do better than them, then carried on home... ALONE. Yuk still makes me shudder.  :o

Well obviously the quality Tourist TOT is looking for.

Oh if only the Pound was worth 20 baht...ya wouldnt see these scumbags.

Perhaps a flying chippy would help.

Last week coming back fromKrabi I was sitting at the departure lounge atKrabi airport watching these two brittish ######s in their tank tops covered in tattoos and looking pretty/sounding aggressive. Found myself thinking I hope I dont have to sit near them on the flight and listen to the <deleted> coming out of their gobs........sure enough.......smack behind the pair of them. All was ok until the food comes out......really just a snack for the one hour flight.......then they started complaining that is was'nt fit for pigs blah blah blah........they both had pretty dumpy looking girlfriends comlete with braided hair and overtanned look.........and you shoul dhave heard the tripe coming out of their mouths......it was embarrassing.

When they called for the boss to come so they could complain about the snack food, I thought ...poor guy......but to my surprise the Thai guy gave back as good as they could give out.......and these two gits just sat there gutless to do anymore. The Thai guy really put them in their place.......then they start asking for ID's of the flight staff and taking photos of the food......geesus....... why do people like this have to carry on like pork chops ?

This kind of tourist is getting all too common in Thailand, you see them strutting round tourist areas of Bangkok, acting like they're out on a Saturday night in Basildon.

This kind of tourist is getting all too common in Thailand, you see them strutting round tourist areas of Bangkok, acting like they're out on a Saturday night in Basildon.

Hahaha yeah Pat I remember that night in Basildon.........yours was a right minger if I recall correctly :o

I'm suffering from amnesia I'm afraid. I've never been to Basildon all I know is that Basildon gave us Depeche Mode, Alison Moyet and Erasure.

Back on topic I saw a bizarre sight. A little kid begging, about 5 years old. He's sitting on the street on Sukhumvit near a foorbridge.

A tourist, looks French or Spanish, bends over, "wai's" him really exaggeratedly, and gives him a 500 Baht note.

...Back on topic I saw a bizarre sight. A little kid begging, about 5 years old. He's sitting on the street on Sukhumvit near a foorbridge.

A tourist, looks French or Spanish, bends over, "wai's" him really exaggeratedly, and gives him a 500 Baht note.

Was the beggar crippled? If he was, they'll probably break his other leg and tell him to get 1,000 baht from the next moron tourist.

It was the wai-ing that I found sickening.

A culturally aware tourist for sure :D

My current boss wais BG's. :D

He's been here in Thailand now for just over 1 year, and still has no fcukin idea. :o

He's been here in Thailand now for just over 1 year, and still has no fcukin idea. :o

Well I have been here more than 20 years and would suggest your boss is more clued up than you.There are certain circumstances in which it would be perfectly appropriate to wai a BG.

Well I have been here more than 20 years and would suggest your boss is more clued up than you.There are certain circumstances in which it would be perfectly appropriate to wai a BG.

upon successful completion of a BJ?