"upgrading" Exhaust Muffler

eljeque

I have a 5 year old, Wave 125, bired out to 150 and also has a new cam, etc., and a larger carb.

I want to change my exhaust and have read about a few options here/

1. Remove some of the interior of the exaust pipe.

2. Get a different pipe... From a Sonic or maybe a CBR 150

... any other ideas?

And, is it necessary to make changes to the intake box (changing it to drilling holes in it, etc.?)

Any other ideas?

Thanks

By the sounds of things you want to replace not just the muffler but the entire exhaust pipe with something of a larger diameter to allow the bike to breathe a little better.

Are you trying to tell us you carried out all those mods but still have the pea shooter exhaust system on the bike? Or did you buy the bike with the supposed mods?

You want to cruise around to a few of the smaller bike shops, plenty of places making larger pipes out of stainless etc at a small cost too, then its up to you whether you buy a new muffler or have a standard one cut and modified. Theres a few mobs around that make mufflers locally near bangkok, but the names escape me at the moment, i will post again when i remember.

Where do you live?

Did you enlarge the exhaust port.?

Lots of aftermarket pipes available about 1500 + baht. But they are not quiet :)

The inlet size will still be the same as they are built to match the port but the pipe itself gets progressivly larger. Endurance is one name. Stainless pipe with alloy muffler. Avaulable at most if not all small bike shops.

Make sure it says 125 on it, as then the brackets will fit. Also the 125 pipe is different from the 100 Wave. As the bends to clear the engine casing are different.Also the 100 Wave pipe rises higher and does bot attach to the footpeg bolt.

Examples

51327126_1.jpg

SP_carbneddle001.jpg

33988368_2.jpg

Edited by VocalNeal

Thanks for the information

Where do you live? Pattaya

Did you enlarge the exhaust port?

No.

I'm in BKK. My bike (100 then 115 Wave) project was in Indonesia with parts from Rayong. I did a DIY port job but eventually I installed a big valve head (from JKT) which had the port the same size as the exhaust.

Thanks. What would a real one cost? And, where would I find one? More important, is a super exhaust worth the cost versus the gains received.

The bike was 20,000. The motor (150 bore, can, valves, etc.) 4500. Carb = 2200

I am OK with an exhaust CBR or Sonic, how much? 1200 or so, and if 3,000 woudld be a big improvement, OK, but 15,000 for the Leovince...... I was surprised, to say the least.

I think the Sonic or CBR pipe and exhaust may be the most protical way to go about it

Thanks for everyone's advice

Thanks. The cops go nuts over anything.

What about using a CBR 150 or a Sonic muffler. These, I would guess, allow more through flow, but dot not sound appreciably louder.

What do you think?

And, where would you suggest?

Also, in order to appear standard, what about removing some of the baffles from the muffler instead? Just a little bit, or am I wasting time and asking for trouble.

Thanks. The cops go nuts over anything.

What about using a CBR 150 or a Sonic muffler. These, I would guess, allow more through flow, but dot not sound appreciably louder.

What do you think?

And, where would you suggest?

Also, in order to appear standard, what about removing some of the baffles from the muffler instead? Just a little bit, or am I wasting time and asking for trouble.

you will probably be ok with both of those ideas as they are reasonably subtle modifications.

• 1 month later...

The best mechanic, at least from what I am told by a friend with 50 rental bikes, at Mityon in Pattaya installed the muffler which goes to the new Honda Wave X.

It does make a difference, and it is quiet.

Just bored out my Wave 125i to 150, runs wonderfully, and will get the same muffler next week.

It's not worth to do it only you live in a rural environment 600 km NE of BKK.

I ended up paying 2,000 Baht, confiscated bike, need the original exhaust reinstalled, fine....and one day trashed.

For what?

If you like sound, you buy a real bike.

Cheers