Thanks For Sp2 Bill.....

Para

Well that will teach me.

After holding off putting SP2 on my laptop I finally (I have no idea why) decided to upgrade yesterday.

Needless to say my laptop became totally screwed up, the RPC service refused to start which stopped the XP Restore working.

No problem of course i had a current backup, did I ###### I work in IT these things happen to users not use.

Just spent the last I dont know how long rebuilding my laptop from the ground up. The problem I now have is I am back at the same point fully working but without SP2. Rumour is MS will do a forced download in 4 weeks for anyone who does not have SP2 on their machine.

Maybe I should learn Linux.....

Edited by Para

My recommendation to anyone planning to update to WindowsXP Service Pack 2 (SP2) is to do so only when/after you have done a complete re-install.

If you have been running XP for any considerable period of time, installing/deleting programs and updating periodically via the WindowsUpdate link, one can only imagine the dramatic changes made to various routines and drivers, but in particular, the registry. Remember, most SP2 updates involve "patches" to what were original known pieces of code. Frankly, I'm amazed any OS is able to run smoothly, after a major update, such as SP2.

Para.....that "forced download" from MS, went into effect this past Tuesday, April 12th.

========

cv...As you have gone back to Server 2003, were you aware MS just released SP1 (337MB) a couple of weeks ago? (Info here)

:o

My upgrade went as smooth as silk. And i have many programs installed on my computers. No virus and firewall software from certain brands that screws your computer up big time. (Norton comes to mind here).

Upgraded about 40 computers 1 day after the update became available.

Servers, clients, office workstations. all went great except an already unstable one.

My upgrade went smooth too ... One trip to Pantip and got Windows XP with integrated SP2 ..... 80 baht.

:o

I requested the SP2 CD from MS web site and they sent it to Thailand. It installed with no problems. (But I did make an image backup of my C: drive before I applied SP2 pack).

I tried to upgrade several times with various problems. Then, about six months ago, a new BIOS became available for my laptop. After installing the new BIOS SP2 installed without any problems at all.

Suggest you check your laptop manufacturers website for BIOS upgrades. Many computers will not work without a new BIOS that can handle SP2.

I had only rebuilt my laptop the week before so it was fairly 'new' but agree that anyone who has not installed SP2 yet should have at least a backup other than the Windows backup/restore.

I had installed the latest bios but have heard stories where an old biao version stopped an upgrade.

No big deal the rebulid only took 24hrs, not as if there is much else to do here in Pattaya.... :o