Best Area To Stay In Chiang Mai

SilentReader

Hi all, I am planning to visit CM in the next couple of weeks, up from Samui. Thought it was about time after having lived here for 15 years and never getting further north than BKK.

I have spoken to many people but of course I get varied responses as to where the best areas are to stay and what hotels are good. I have been looking at the Ratilanna Riverside Resort, Holiday Inn, Imperial Mae Ping and the Centara Duangtawan Hotel. I really would appreciate some advise as to what areas are best and what resorts are good. Is it a good idea to stay central or better to get out of the city and stay somewhere a little more with nature. Or is it easy to visit the outskirts from the city.

Also would be easier to rent a car for the 4 days I will be there or is the public transport adequate enough ?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I will be with my girlfriend and as she is a shopper I guess any advise on this would be good too. Best shopping areas.

Shopping? Sounds like the Night Market area to me. Recently stayed at the Centara Duangtawan Hotel which is conveniently located next to the night market. Its a nice inexpensive hotel with a great breakfast and fitness facilities. The downside is that you can hear your neighbors' sneeze (thin walls?) and the elevators are very slow. If you are a light sleeper and a type "A" personality, this place is not for you. Otherwise its a great deal. Agoda website had the deluxe rooms for a good price.

Try Royal Lanna on the night market great breakfast to.

Check in in the lobby by the lady where you can rent a car or do some daytrips,save's you for 2 night's 200 a night.

Montri Hotel or the Amora, both at Thapae Gate. Not as overwhelmingly touristy as the Night Market area and you can walk around the old town as well. The Night Market area is tedious during the day (and some would say at night too).

Interested, too, in recommendations for places to stay for visitors. Mid to upper range, centrally located/on the fringes for access to transport and restaurants (shopping not so important), as quiet as possible in that vicinity; pleasant gardens/views, good service.

Edited by WaiWai