What Is The Cost Of A 42" Or 48" Flat Screen Tv?

getithere328

Samsung is probably the biggest seller here, Numchai, Tesco, Big C, Carrefour they are stocked everywhere, prices vary with model and promotion - no worries about supply here!

There is also a dedicated Samsung service centre up by Bangkok Pattaya Hospital on Sukhumvit.

Edited by LennyW

the other poster is correct, they are all over and pricing can be keen

however you need to think about what might happen when it all goes wrong

where will Carrefore, Tesco be then?

for best after sales service i recommend Mr Ji at Thaiweechai Electromart in Naklua

038 222243 081 6369683

he will price match anyone else and gives the best service in town

Edited by timekeeper

We got a JVC 42 for 28k at carrefour last year v good picture and can use as PC monitor

Usual price was 39k so a v good deal

At 42 inch range is 25-50k depends on brand and dealer

48 inch I didnt research as too large for our furniture but around double 45-75k

You can check the big3 retailers in english online

They all have fortnightly brochure with deals same as put thru door

see bigC.com,LotusTesco.co.th Carrefour.com

theres also Makro but they didnt have big screen here in C Rai maybe poss Bangkok

PS sorry these websites are inboth thai and engish so google the name plus english

Edited by RubbaJohnny

It is not representative to just talk about size, it varies massively depending on the technology - plasma, LCD, LED?

Very rough price guide for 42" Samsung:

Plasma - 25-30k

LCD - 40-50k

LED - 70-80k

Mine came from Tesco Lotus about a year ago - never had a problem so can't comment on the after sales service.

My vote is for Numchai on Sukumvit across from Pattaya Klang for price and selection of all brands

I bought a little 19 inch SONY from them last year and just had the opportunity to use the HDMI input and it didn't work

Took it back to their Service Department (behind the main store) and they went into their records using my name and found my receipt and since it was under warranty shipped it off to Sony for me

Try that at Big C or Tesco Lotus

i picked up a 50" LG plasma for about 35k from powerbuy.

i prefer the plasma over lcd, better for motion and better blacks, 100,000 hour lifespan, they do run hot though.

i'll skip lcd and wait for the led /oled tv's to go into critial mass and cheaper before i buy one. crazy prices at the moment for them.

oh and FYI at powerbuy they have an inhouse service center, if they cant fix an issue inhouse, they'll ship it off to the manufacturer. and another FYI for 3% of the purchase cost you can purchase an extended warranty for the tv. the manufacturer offers 1 year, for that 3% cost powerbuy will cover it for 3 years, on top of that it's also insured against accidential damage and theft. not a bad deal.

Homeworks had 42" LG Gas Plasma last week for 19,000.

We saw the same price at another shop but can not remember which other shop, maybe Lotus.

I paid 49,000 in January this year :)

@syd: my 42 LG is 37' width of the screen, diagonal is 42' (just checked).

How deep? this 2 year old plasma is 4 inches deep. Samsung new serie 7 or 8, (LED?) is only 1 inch deep! Very sleek.

Tukcom, Powerbuy now sell LG 42 for 19.900.

Yes, I just got back from TukCom and saw the 42 LG for 19,900 I am tempted.

Could you do me a favour and re-measure the LG and give me the total width including the speakers and end bits. I want to check if it fits in my unit.

Thanks, :)

@syd: my 42 LG is 37' width of the screen, diagonal is 42' (just checked).

How deep? this 2 year old plasma is 4 inches deep. Samsung new serie 7 or 8, (LED?) is only 1 inch deep! Very sleek.

Tukcom, Powerbuy now sell LG 42 for 19.900.

Yes, I just got back from TukCom and saw the 42 LG for 19,900 I am tempted.

Could you do me a favour and re-measure the LG and give me the total width including the speakers and end bits. I want to check if it fits in my unit.

Thanks, :)

Buy it, you will not regret it, even at my 49k price I still enjoy it very much.

if it's any help, my LG 50" comes in at 56" with the outer edges. so an extra 6" or so, i doubt the 42 would be much different, probably an extra 5-6 inches of border around the screen itself.

if you check the LG website there will be full specs including dimensions.

Always good deals at Numchai. I bought almost all my electrical stuff there, as I do not trust any after sales service at Lotus, Carrefour or Homeworks or Homepro.

I remember having paid about 34,000 Bht for my 42 " Panasonic LCD in August. No Prob.

I recently bought a Sharp LCD 18 " (for CCTV at the office) for 6,990 Bht. Does anybody knows what sizes are available between 18/19 " and 32 " as I might need another screen for the 2nd bedroom.

Cheers

Plasma is getting almost dirt cheap. Few want them anymore because LCD is such a better option.

Prices really vary depending on brand and specs. If you want "true" HD, meaning 1080p, it will cost more than "half" HD at 768p. The half-HD screens are pretty cheap and since there's no HD in Thailand, even UBC/True is not, then it can be a bit of overkill.

Nonetheless, I bought a true-HD LG 42 inch for 35,000 baht at Numchai. It has the best specs of any TV in that price range. You want to look at contrast ratio and refresh time. The LG blows anything in the 30-40,000 range out of the water, 200,000-1 ratio and 2 ms refresh. Sony, Samsung, Phillips, Sharp and the thers are at best 70,000-1 and refresh times of 5-8 ms.

The LG also has bluetooth, usb and PC-VGA connections.

As for dimensions, use the calculator here (thee's another out there i used to get h/w, but i can't find it now)

http://www.nicetaco.com/tv.aspx#calculator

Are these Plasma screens able to be attached to the wall? Do they come with wall fittings?

Is Wall mounting advisable?

Our UK tv is a 48" Samsung plasma and has 4 fixing points on the back of it for a wall bracket. However, it is bloomin heavy, I would be very reluctant to hang it off the wall.

I wonder if a 48" LED would be lighter?

Plasma, LED, LCD :D Could anyone tell me what makes one better than the other?

I had, until recently, thought that plasma was the be all and end all.

Reading these replies to my original question makes me think I was wrong :) .

I am pleased with the UK samsung plasma that we have even if it does switch itself on and off every now and then, wife thinks its ghosts trying to contact us, yes you guessed it, she is Thai.

Change that to 'goats' trying to contact us, but I think I know what she is getting at, bless her :-).

Edited by getithere328

Plasma was the first HD and uses the most energy, puts out the most head and has a lifetime of about 2 years before it needs to have the plasma redone.

LED is the best but currently most expensive. Instant on (no warmup), the most energy efficent and the most vibrant colors. It's also half the thickness of LCD, so weighs the least.

Bring a big bankrool for it, though.

LCD is the happy medium between the two. Provided you get a very fast refresh time (3 ms or less) and high contrast (100,000-1 or more) you'll be quite happy.

Note through that LCDs are now getting very very affordable in smaller sizes. But get pricey quick in larger sizes. 37 inch can be had for about 25,000 baht, 42 inch for 35,000 baht but 47 inches -- just 5 inches more -- jumps to 60,000 baht.

Edited by Pattaya Diver

• 4 weeks later...
Bit small for the OP but Harbour mall in Laem Chabang have 32" (no idea of brand name i'll grab more details tomorrow) lcd's for 9,990b.

Sorry, it's been a while I know. But, I just saw Tesco's ad for a Samsung 32" promotion @ 12,990 baht through 27-December. Sounded pretty good, but I remembered and decided to re-read this post. 9,999...? Do you know if they're still selling those 32" tv's at Harbour Mall, Laem Chabang at that price? Thanks!

Bit small for the OP but Harbour mall in Laem Chabang have 32" (no idea of brand name i'll grab more details tomorrow) lcd's for 9,990b.

Sorry, it's been a while I know. But, I just saw Tesco's ad for a Samsung 32" promotion @ 12,990 baht through 27-December. Sounded pretty good, but I remembered and decided to re-read this post. 9,999...? Do you know if they're still selling those 32" tv's at Harbour Mall, Laem Chabang at that price? Thanks!

Im off work at the moment for holidays, i'll check when i head back to work but fwiw i saw the same advert (banner on the side of road) when i was up in Chanthaburi last week so its possible the promotion is still running at Laem Chabang (month long promotion maybe ??)

Are these Plasma screens able to be attached to the wall? Do they come with wall fittings?

Is Wall mounting advisable?

They are made for wall mounting, but due to the heat produced and limited ventilation it can shorten their life, advisable to vacuum air ducts weekly as they get dirty quickly.