What Is The Cost Of A 42" Or 48" Flat Screen Tv?

getithere328

Can anyone please advise on the following query:

I will be buying in the near future 2 flat screen tv's,

one will broadcast UBC and needs to be 46 - 50 inch

The other will broadcast Sophon Cable and needs to be 42 - 46 inch.

My concern is which type of flat screen will give the better qaulity picture(LCD or Plasma) including response to motion considering the size of the screen and the analogue system that both these broadcasts use.

I'd appreciate responses from members that are actually using the above mentioned scenarios.

The problem with all these fancy new tv's that are available in the retailers is that they are designed for HD SIGNALS which are not available here in Thailand.

Much thanks in advance.

My concern is which type of flat screen will give the better qaulity picture(LCD or Plasma) including response to motion considering the size of the screen and the analogue system that both these broadcasts use.

I'd appreciate responses from members that are actually using the above mentioned scenarios.

The problem with all these fancy new tv's that are available in the retailers is that they are designed for HD SIGNALS which are not available here in Thailand.

Much thanks in advance.

I spent lots of money to buy 55" LED TV and it turned out big waste of money,

First of all, UBC signal is so poor for that matter picture quality on TV is really bad(fuzzy, not sharp at all).

Second, UBC don't have HD singal yet, over priced satellite TV service and lousy channel line up.

Thrid, Not easy to get a Blu-ray disk in Thailand, copy ones are poor and real ones are way over priced.

I download lots of movies (mostly 720P ones, about 4.5G per each movie), but since internet speed totally sucks in Thailand, it takes me about a day to download a movie to watch.

So here is my advice, if you want to buy BIG Screen TV in Thailand, save your money and get an old model, either LCD or Plasma(quality of picture will be both poor with Sophhon cable signal or with UBC)), Thailand is not ready yet for big fancy LED TV just yet(not even ready for LCD, Plasma). maybe within 5 or 10 years... maybe.

Hope it helps...

Edited by VTSVIEW

Plasma is getting almost dirt cheap. Few want them anymore because LCD is such a better option.

Prices really vary depending on brand and specs. If you want "true" HD, meaning 1080p, it will cost more than "half" HD at 768p. The half-HD screens are pretty cheap and since there's no HD in Thailand, even UBC/True is not, then it can be a bit of overkill.

Nonetheless, I bought a true-HD LG 42 inch for 35,000 baht at Numchai. It has the best specs of any TV in that price range. You want to look at contrast ratio and refresh time. The LG blows anything in the 30-40,000 range out of the water, 200,000-1 ratio and 2 ms refresh. Sony, Samsung, Phillips, Sharp and the thers are at best 70,000-1 and refresh times of 5-8 ms.

The LG also has bluetooth, usb and PC-VGA connections.

As for dimensions, use the calculator here (thee's another out there i used to get h/w, but i can't find it now)

I don't know why you would say LCD is such a better option. I feel plasma is superior to LCD in almost every way. The picture is more accurate, refresh rates and response times are thousands of times faster, viewing angle is far superior, black levels are far superior (except for the very expensive LED models), they are cheaper, lag time is better for gamers, they are not prone to motion blur, etc... The only advantages I can see that LCDs have over plasma is that they are lighter, require less energy to operate, are a bit brighter and those with matte screens are not bothered with screen reflections in bright environments.

Concerning contrast ratios, please do not consider the stated contrast ratio of any LCD or plasma HDTV to be of any importance. There is no industry standard for measuring contrast ratio so manufacturers are free to say pretty much anything they want. This specification is totally meaningless and does not even remain consistent within an individual brand let alone between different brands.

Keep in mind that if you are watching standard definition TV then your old tube TV will have a better picture than your expensive plasma or LCD HDTV. DVDs and Blu-ray discs will look fantastic on your HDTV and so will broadcast high definition if it ever becomes common in Thailand. I sure hope there is HD cable and satellite prevalent in Thailand when I retire there in another ten years. Pretty much the only things I miss from the USA when I'm in Thailand are high definition TV and decent internet speeds.

Plasma was the first HD and uses the most energy, puts out the most head and has a lifetime of about 2 years before it needs to have the plasma redone.

I'm not sure where you got this idea but it is absolutely not true. New plasmas TVs have a life expectancy of 100,000 hours and do not ever need to have the plasma redone. Also, plasma was not the first HD display, there were several other HD displays previous including various projection devices and the old-fashioned CRT tube TV.

Edited by Buckeye911

Plasma was the first HD and uses the most energy, puts out the most head and has a lifetime of about 2 years before it needs to have the plasma redone.

I'm not sure where you got this idea but it is absolutely not true. New plasmas TVs have a life expectancy of 100,000 hours and do not ever need to have the plasma redone.

Correct. The concept of "recharging" plasma cells was many years ago. My plasma has been in use for at least 5 years and see no deterioration of the image quality. Even now, after watching standard .avi movie or broadcast and get a 720 or 1080 I'm impressed with the quality. The colors and contrast are still outstanding.

Much thanks in advance.

For Sophon cable I would recommend getting a plasma. When I bought my Panasonic Viera 42" plasma 2 years ago, I looked at a setup in BKK with analog cable TV as a feed. I was amazed how much better the plasma would look compared to the LCD screens, even those that were close to 3 times as expensive. Friends that come over to my place usually comment on how good Sophon cable does look on my TV. And we all know how poor the Sophon feed is… I also use it for 720p and am quite happy with it, but would most likely have gotten a LCD if that was my only source. For cable to look good make sure you do get one that has at least a 120Hz refresh rate.

Thanks for your advise, after checking out the current tv's on the market and speaking with the sales personel they all said the same in that, Plasma works better in Thailand with Sophon & UBC broadcasts.

Conclusion:

Avoid paying extra for LCD, LED's as they only work well with an HD signal, which doesn't exsist here in Thailand.