American Scuba Diving Teacher Found Dead On Remote Mountain In Chon Buri

webfact

American scuba diving teacher found dead on remote mountain in Chon Buri

Chon Buri - An American scuba diving teacher was found dead inside his car at a remote spot on a mountain in Sattahib district Monday morning.

Police believed Kenneth Earl Steube, 49, from Los Angeles, committed suicide as the car was locked and there were traces of burning charcoals inside the car.

Police said he rented the Honda Jazz from Pattaya on November 21 and was scheduled to return it on November 24.

The car was found parked on a road leading to a rock grinding plant in Tambon Bang Sareh.

A cattle man told police that he saw the car driving around very fast on November heading to the rock grinding plant and did not drive down.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/30

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

American man found dead in car

gallery_327_1086_17582.jpg

CHONBURI, Nov 30 (TNA) – An American resident in Thailand was found dead Monday in a grove of trees in the southeastern province of Chonburi, police said, indicating that it appeared the victim had lit a charcoal stove in his car to commit suicide by suffocation.

Pol Lt Ekkachai Moonlee and Pol Lt-Col Annop Tapanon rushed to the scene after a local resident found the body of Kenneth Earl Steube, 49, in a car in Sattahip district.

The swollen body was found in a locked sedan. The victim had been dead for at least three days, according to police investigators, who said that no injuries were found on his body.

Inside the sedan, documents were found identifying his name and nationality, as well as some diving equipment.

A charcoal stove with ashes was found at back of the car.

Police surmised that the dead man may have committed suicide by burning the charcoal and letting the toxic fumes flow into the car until he suffocated.

However, Chonsuri authoritiest he police investigators will send his body to the Central Institute of Forensic Science for an autopsy to determine the cause of death. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009/11/30

American suspected of committing suicide in Bang Saray, close to Pattaya.

Pattaya, November 30 [PATTAYA ONE NEWS] : On Monday Morning, Police Captain Egashai from Sattahip Police Station was called to a remote area in Bang Saray following the discovery of a badly decomposed body locked inside a car. Officers and rescue workers arrived and forced entry into the Silver Honda Jazz. In the driver seat was the body of Mr. Kenneth Earl Steube aged 49 from USA. He was secured into the front seat by the safety belt and upon further inspection of the car, burnt-out coals were found in the boot of the car which suggested the man died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. A rental agreement for the car from the Pattaya Motorcycle Club Jeep & Car Company was found along with a bag in the front passenger seat which contained diving equipment. The victim was wearing a shirt which indicated he may have been involved in diving in the Philippines at some point. Police also suspect he may be a diving instructor in Pattaya. There was no evidence of third-party involvement in the death and a local farmer reported seeing the car being driven at speed in the area late last week. All the gathered evidence leads Police to believe this was a suicide, however the results of a post mortem examination will confirm the exact cause of death. The American Embassy in Bangkok are aware of the case and are helping Police with the investigation.

http://www.pattayaone.net/news

post-22250-1259583099_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1259583115_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1259583135_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1259583208_thumb.jpg

why do so many many people commit suicide in LOS ? i can not understand this.

My friend from Germany commit suicide in BKK. i can not understand this. For what ?

Every case is unique. But many westerners move to Thailand as a last shot to find a kind of paradise, but there is no such place.

I lost several friends who were professional divers and one of them committed suicide; all of them died at a relatively young age and under strange circumstances.

There was (quite some years ago) a scientific German study report about divers and the amount of air-bubbles, found in the brain, caused by (sometimes risky) diving.

I sent the report to the widow (a longtime friend of mine) and she and her daughter and son (who died a year later in an accident) were so thankful to receive and read the report, explaining WHY so many divers die young and/or commit suicide.

It was a comfort to them, knowing WHY their husband and father did what he did and realized how much suffering from the brain he must have gone through, NOT realizing himself it was the result of (risky) diving.

I'm not saying this was the case here too but it could explain something.

Who knows?

RIP

LaoPo

May he rest in peace. Where we live we can see the mountain area where he was. What a horrible way to go out.

I don't think there is much relevancy to scuba divers(instructors) & committing suicide. Being an instructor once . I can't see why the German study concluded that about bubbles from nos. That would mean everyone that has ever had dental gas while doing there teeth were at risk.

I hope he found his peace.

My brother in law is a professional diver, dry suits, serious helmets and compressors type.

Specializing in large water tank inspections and then running the cleaning crew.

Thankfully he is so conversant with his routine, he doesn't ever rise fast,

since he has to do gradual circles, and video the tank, and shoot stills of problem areas.

And thankfully he doesn't ever show signs of depression or even bad humor.

I suspect a predisposition for depression,

coupled with not having the 'thrill of the dive' to compensate 24/7,

makes 'life on land' less a draw for them and easier prey to a bad night.

And maybe after 20 years, the general thrill wears off and nothing replaces it,

and life becomes some droning reality and no peaks anymore...

Depression is little understood, and much more deadly than many seem to think.

My condolences to the family and friends.

I don't understand stories like this. There are always important details missing and what is reported are assumptions made

by unqualified policemen. I hope the police will wait for the autopsy before passing "judgement". The newspapers never follow up on these stories by providing autopsy results.

The charcoal brand in the picture has a chemical additive to facilitate burning. Those of you that have BBQs know that charcoal has a tendancy to burn very hot and to give off a grimy black soot. A BBQ with that much charcoal in it would have been hot enough to melt the carpet and maybe even create enough heat to cause combustion. People have had housefires when these hibatchi type bbqs are left unattended on the back stoop. Please look closely at the BBQ. Now look underneath it. Does it look like the carpet melted? Any singeing under the bbq or is that just staining? Now look at at the car windows. Do you see any soot residue? The autopsy will show if it was a charcoal fire that caused asphyxiation because the lungs will be coated with grime.

If the deceased was a diver, he would have known how to connect a hose to the tailpipe. Such a method would have been a lot faster and more effective. Maybe he used a charcoal fire to kill himself , or maybe it was left over from a picnic. Why wouldn't he just suicide using the tools of his trade back in Pattaya? Why drive all the way to this place to do this? Is it possible the deceased was in the area for a reason and that someone may be implicated in his death? I think this poor fellow deserves a proper investigation and not a simplistic dismissal.

My brother in law is a professional diver, dry suits, serious helmets and compressors type.

Specializing in large water tank inspections and then running the cleaning crew.

Thankfully he is so conversant with his routine, he doesn't ever rise fast,

since he has to do gradual circles, and video the tank, and shoot stills of problem areas.

And thankfully he doesn't ever show signs of depression or even bad humor.

I suspect a predisposition for depression,

coupled with not having the 'thrill of the dive' to compensate 24/7,

makes 'life on land' less a draw for them and easier prey to a bad night.

And maybe after 20 years, the general thrill wears off and nothing replaces it,

and life becomes some droning reality and no peaks anymore...

Depression is little understood, and much more deadly than many seem to think.

My condolences to the family and friends.

Yes, yes . Quite intrinsically fascinating. I'd aaah suspect MURDER until they could prove suicide. Edited by jb5music

I don't understand stories like this. There are always important details missing and what is reported are assumptions made

by unqualified policemen. I hope the police will wait for the autopsy before passing "judgement". The newspapers never follow up on these stories by providing autopsy results.

The charcoal brand in the picture has a chemical additive to facilitate burning. Those of you that have BBQs know that charcoal has a tendancy to burn very hot and to give off a grimy black soot. A BBQ with that much charcoal in it would have been hot enough to melt the carpet and maybe even create enough heat to cause combustion. People have had housefires when these hibatchi type bbqs are left unattended on the back stoop. Please look closely at the BBQ. Now look underneath it. Does it look like the carpet melted? Any singeing under the bbq or is that just staining? Now look at at the car windows. Do you see any soot residue? The autopsy will show if it was a charcoal fire that caused asphyxiation because the lungs will be coated with grime.

If the deceased was a diver, he would have known how to connect a hose to the tailpipe. Such a method would have been a lot faster and more effective. Maybe he used a charcoal fire to kill himself , or maybe it was left over from a picnic. Why wouldn't he just suicide using the tools of his trade back in Pattaya? Why drive all the way to this place to do this? Is it possible the deceased was in the area for a reason and that someone may be implicated in his death? I think this poor fellow deserves a proper investigation and not a simplistic dismissal.

I agree. A pipe from the exhaust will quickly accomplish the deed. If he was indeed attempting to kill himself through asphyxiation would he risk lighting a fire and burning to death?

The seatbelt was fastened. Pretty strange to light a fire in the boot, then hop back in and belt up. Why would anyone do that?

The same kind of investigation the police did on the German engineer some time ago in a rubber plantation with a grenade/explosive on his chest ?

I agree with you these chaps deserve a proper investigation...but will they ?

They're not Thai hi-so.

LaoPo

I agree. A pipe from the exhaust will quickly accomplish the deed. If he was indeed attempting to kill himself through asphyxiation would he risk lighting a fire and burning to death?

The seatbelt was fastened. Pretty strange to light a fire in the boot, then hop back in and belt up. Why would anyone do that?

I disagree with you. Having mulled a similar act many years ago, I think the guy came up with viable and considerate plan:

* No blood and gore, no "ghost" left behind in his own home.

* I thought about the exhaust pipe thing, but they are prone to slipping off, or a passer-by can pull it lose

* With the charcoal quietly burning and the engine not running, he would not have called attention to himself, especially if the car had darkened windows

* My biggest fear -- and probably what stopped me -- was that I would fail in the attempt and end up brain damaged or paralyzed or something, and then would have no hope to ever get the job done. As I considered these options, I began to get enough better that I abandoned the planning and went on -- and most certainly I'm glad I did. I understand the urge, and I think he did a good job with a good plan.

My friend from Germany commit suicide in BKK. i can not understand this. For what ?

Every case is unique. But many westerners move to Thailand as a last shot to find a kind of paradise, but there is no such place.

there is usually a lady that "love them too mut" involved

tropo' date='2009-12-01 06:43:33' post='3175331'jack31' post='3174509' date='2009-11-30 18:35:53']why do so many people commit suicide in LOS ? i can not understand this.

It only seems that way because in Thailand they report every suicide.

It would appear that way because the only word the police seem to have for a death is suicide , less paper-work , open and shut case , next please .

Dont know about this story or your friend but the police often lie and say suicide or an accident to cover up a murder - mai pen rai

I disagree with you. Having mulled a similar act many years ago, I think the guy came up with viable and considerate plan:

* I thought about the exhaust pipe thing, but they are prone to slipping off, or a passer-by can pull it lose

* With the charcoal quietly burning and the engine not running, he would not have called attention to himself, especially if the car had darkened windows

* My biggest fear -- and probably what stopped me -- was that I would fail in the attempt and end up brain damaged or paralyzed or something, and then would have no hope to ever get the job done. As I considered these options, I began to get enough better that I abandoned the planning and went on -- and most certainly I'm glad I did. I understand the urge, and I think he did a good job with a good plan.

Can you come up with a good explanation for the seatbelt? Was he concerned about crashing on the way over? Did he light the fire before he drove up there?

Can you come up with a good explanation for the seatbelt? Was he concerned about crashing on the way over? Did he light the fire before he drove up there?

Could be to inhibit any involuntary response to save his own life, like opening the door or rolling down the window, or his head sagging forward onto the horn that would blare. Maybe an emotional thing of strapping in for the last ride.

LOS is a land of death. that's the conclusion from all news.

people get born, people die. It so happened that sad fellow died in a place called Thailand. RIP

I don't understand stories like this. There are always important details missing and what is reported are assumptions made by unqualified policemen. I hope the police will wait for the autopsy before passing "judgement". The newspapers never follow up on these stories by providing autopsy results.

Thinking like a farang - in other words, thinking analytically, rather than impulsively like a Thai. Thais want a quick solution, and one that's least messy, less hassle. Suicide fits, so use it.

I still haven't seen an explanation as to how the charcoal fire did not leave behind any visible residue on the car windows (look at the photos - the windows are pristine clean), and I have seen no comment as to how a charcoal fire did not cause combustion of the carpet, let alone melt it. If the typical charcoal fire can safely give a heat range of between 250 and 325C and carpet polymer starts to deform at 225C with melting observed at 250C, one would expect significant damage if a bbq was left unattended. Look at the photos.

In respect to the explanations offerred as to the method. C'mon, let's be real.

Really? The body was starting to bloat and decompose at 3 days. Trust me, there would have been one heck of a mess and stench.

Ghost? If he was going to worry about a ghost in his home, then what would stop him from having a wandering ghost? Seriously, that's a bit of a stretch.

Not if its wrapped on using wire or basic duct tape. If someone was worried about a passer by pulling off the tube, he would have been equally worried about someone spotting the smoke from a charcoal fire. So, no.

Darkened windows? So you agree that a charcoal fire gives off grimy smoke. Good. Now look at the car windows. They are not darkened but are clear and the windows are not sooty.

* I think he did a good job with a good plan.

Well, if it was a suicide then yes he obtained the desired result.

Could be to inhibit any involuntary response to save his own life, like opening the door or rolling down the window, or his head sagging forward onto the horn that would blare. Maybe an emotional thing of strapping in for the last ride.

Let's have a look at the suggestions here;

-Could be to inhibit any involuntary response to save his own life, like opening the door or rolling down the window, or his head sagging forward onto the horn that would blare.

How? The seatbelt is a passive restraint. Go sit in a car and lean forward. The shoulder belt moves with you if its not a rapid jerk as is caused by a sharp braking action. The seatbelt doesn't block anyone from opening a window or door.

Maybe an emotional thing of strapping in for the last ride.

Poetic, and more likely it suggests the deceased was engaged with driving or at least safety conscious. Would a suicide intent on doing self harm, care about fastening his seatbelt? Is it possible someone fastened it for him after he was killed? If there wasn't really a charcoal fire, he might just have been lost and stressed out, pulling over to compose himself and then suffering a heart attack or aneurysm.

There are so many details missing from this report that I think the reporters owe a duty to the deceased and his family to report only the established and reliable facts. It just doesn't seem right. Sure there's a 1st time for everything, but how many cases can you recall of someone leaving Pattaya to go and commit a strange suicide? Easier to do it in Pattaya.