Pacific City Club

bkkjames

A friend told me they went bankrupt, something about a new owner of the location deciding to charge them a couple of million a month rental that they couldn't afford

Martin

I guess that would do it. Wonder what happens to people with memberships? Sh-t out of luck I suppose.

It's all Lehman-related. Lehman bought the Pacific Place buildings, changed the management, and wanted Pacific City Club to pay more rent . The club has struggled since then. Lehman's property operations around the region are in liquidation (KPMG) so I guess that the liquidators have finally said 'enough is enough'. The PCC has (I guess I should say had) a blue-chip Hi-So membership, so I should imagine there are now a lot of very unhappy people looking for somebody to blame.

The FT also reported last week, I think it was, that a Thai property company (Destination) had filed charges with police here against three senior KPMG execs based in HK, relating to problems over properties that Destination brought in Thailand with Lehman money.

• 2 months later...
Latest news is that club will re-open on/around 23 Feb 2010, possibly sooner if a 'soft opening', in current premises.

PCC is going down in flames. The place is so poorly managed. They have fired the previous GM and the French chef in order to save a few baht. I heard a some managers stole some property from a member and then cancelled the membership. Wow, insult to injury.

PCC lied about the HVAC upgrade. They were buying time to fend off their impending bankruptcy.

Feb soft opening, doesnt matter. The place is filled with arrogant Chinese stealing from the Thais and foriegners.

• 4 weeks later...
Latest news is that club will re-open on/around 23 Feb 2010, possibly sooner if a 'soft opening', in current premises.

I just got an email from the GM this morning saying that the reopening has been delayed by 2-3 weeks, so I guess we should be looking at mid to end of March...

• 4 weeks later...

I just got an email from the GM this morning saying that the reopening has been delayed by 2-3 weeks, so I guess we should be looking at mid to end of March...

Anyone heard anything new on a firm re-opening date? What's really the delay?

Seems odd that they continue to advertise for new members but aren't communicating with their existing ones.

Has anyone even considered sending en email to the club? I did, and I got this reply:

"Good evening hhgz,

Thank you very much for your email inquiring about the club reopening.

Since the unfortunate club closure we have communicated at three different times to our members on the outcome.

We realize we are currently on a deadline since we projected the reopening on late February however a clear communication will be send shortly to all members as soon as we can figure out the outcome from the third party involved being the landlord which is beyond our control hence why this delay.

We do understand your concerns and appreciate your email, we are not trying to justify our actions but explain our pro active intentions, obviously there are a few obstacles that came along the way since we are not the owner of the premises and have to rent the space to operate.

Again thank you for your patience and rest reassured that we do our utmost to reopen in the best possible conditions for the benefit of all.

With best regards,

Rodolphe J.A. GAY

General Manager

• 10 months later...