Submissive Khraphome Or?

baht&sold

My first post in this sub forum, so pls forgive me if I'm off base here:

I had a get-together earlier tonight atmy place for a few pals and the Thai Father of one of my guests called my mobile, since her's had a dead battery. Anyways, he replied to me with 'Kraphome' which was a way to show respect on the one hand but left me feeling I should actually be addressing HIM this way (he's a great guy, good family man, Older than I afterall).

I felt a bit humbled actually and made me think: When do YOU use this supposedly inferior/respectful reply as a farang or do you feel it's a thai 'thang' and as a foreigner, do you feel you're defacto 'exempt'?

Me? Nahh, Kraphome! :o

daniel

My guess is that you're talking about "Krap pbom" which has the same meaning (but more polite) as "Krap)

Ok, I guess it's a choice of word whether to use "Krap pbom" or not. Coz it really sounds polite and should be used with older people or someone you respect.

Numtip, there are many possible systems to write Thai with roman letters, no need to quibble over spelling. The original poster makes it very clear he knows it's very respectful, but is looking for specific examples.

Personally, I mostly avoid it, as one of those areas that I'm not quite sure about... I think I've intentionally used it to Immigration staff etc. But also, it's slipped out in other circumstances, and I've noticed usually at the end of an exchange. So my side of the conversation might be "krap... krap... krap... krapom." I think the pattern is imitating Thais, but whether or not I'm doing it in the appropriate circumstances is something I have yet to figure out. Interested to hear what others have to say.

My first post in this sub forum, so pls forgive me if I'm off base here:

I had a get-together earlier tonight atmy place for a few pals and the Thai Father of one of my guests called my mobile, since her's had a dead battery. Anyways, he replied to me with 'Kraphome' which was a way to show respect on the one hand but left me feeling I should actually be addressing HIM this way (he's a great guy, good family man, Older than I afterall).

I felt a bit humbled actually and made me think: When do YOU use this supposedly inferior/respectful reply as a farang or do you feel it's a thai 'thang' and as a foreigner, do you feel you're defacto 'exempt'?

Me? Nahh, Kraphome!Β  :o

daniel

Hi,

See here for some more info on the ΰΈ„ΰΈ£ΰΈ±ΰΈšΰΈœΰΈ‘ particle.

I think with a lot of these particles, you need to be fairly good at Thai to get away with using them.

An example is the female particle KHA ΰΈ„ΰΈ°/ΰΈ„ΰΉˆΰΈ°, which can sometimes also be used by a man:

β€˜if sweet-talking his girlfriend/spouse etc. He may then use KHA to convey intimacy and sensitivity.’

Apparently you would need to be a very good Thai speaker to get away with using ΰΈ„ΰΈ°/ΰΈ„ΰΉˆΰΈ° with your girlfriend/spouse.

....here for some more info on the ΰΈ„ΰΈ£ΰΈ±ΰΈšΰΈœΰΈ‘ particle.....

Nice link, katana. I've only heard it said by car park attendants - when you give them the ticket back at Big C or Central (and usually only after I've said "Kob khun krap") - and also by the guy at the hardware store after he's given me my change and I've said "kob khun krap". It's as if, after you've been polite to them, they feel obliged to be even more polite back to you.

....here for some more info on the ΰΈ„ΰΈ£ΰΈ±ΰΈšΰΈœΰΈ‘ particle.....

Nice link, katana. I've only heard it said by car park attendants - when you give them the ticket back at Big C or Central (and usually only after I've said "Kob khun krap") - and also by the guy at the hardware store after he's given me my change and I've said "kob khun krap". It's as if, after you've been polite to them, they feel obliged to be even more polite back to you.

Ditto on the link - thx. I 'think' I get the way Khrapom is used by service people at Big C, Taxi's (sometimes;) etc but I was more curious how we Farangs could or should use this particular in the right circumstance. Also, ideally should it be stated to an older person? :o

In my limited experience, outside of service people or sometimes younger people (I'm 45 btw) I rarely hear it used. But sometimes an older person addresses me this way (the guy next door whom owns half the soi, my GF's father, etc). Is there an exception for Thai's using this particular to address a younger Farang from time to time?

Mostly the old people who are gentle are used to saying "Khrap phom" even with the younger. It's their manners.

"Khrap phom" can be used in many situations; to show your respect to others( the older people, customers, boss, teachers,etc.), to call out in reply(can be used with gf, colleagues, strangers,etc.),when you are on the phone( instead of only use khrap khrap khrap.... you can say khrap khrap khrap-phom khrap....)to show that you pay attention to the conversation, etc.

There is not an exception for Thai's using this particular to address a younger Farang from time to time.

There is nothing wrong to use "Khrap phom" all the time and there is nothing wrong if you won't use "Khrap phom" at all. To use "Khrap" is appropriate enough in every situations if you are not sure that you should add "phom" or not. :o

I always think of 'khrap Pom' asΒ  like 'cheers'... Informal, but a respectful 'thanks' or even 'you're welcome'...

Perhaps the two of us dinosaurs are getting old too. I often use khrap Pom in some situations as sort of a compliment or show of gratitude to the other person.

I've heard it used by more polite taxi drivers after I've told them where I'm going and which way I'd like to go I've heard it used by students at school when they've been told to do something and sarcastically when they've been told to do something by me.

I always pressumed it was like saying yes sir or certainly as opposed to just yes.

What do you know I just checked that link and I was correct :o excellent site love the page on basic Isaan/Lao phrases

Edited by withnail