Muay Thai Fighters' Invitation To Challenge Shaolin Monks In Dec 09

pigcuntry

There have been many, many bouts between Chinese and Thai fighters over the years. The Thais won the vast majority of them. It is not a coincidence that most MMA champions at least study muay thai, whereas there has never to my knowledge been a MMA champion who is mainly a kung <deleted> or Chinese style martial artist. I am being objective here because I have never trained muay thai but for many years trained in mostly Chinese style martial arts, and have great respect for all styles, but the record speaks for itself and the edge definitely goes to muay thai. However, to be fair it should also be noted that many of the most effective techniques of Chinese style are not allowed in the competition.,

excerpt form post baove:

"to be fair it should also be noted that many of the most effective techniques of Chinese style are not allowed in the competition.,"

:)

Is like in: "Hey come on, we are holding a shooting competition, all competitors are only allowed front loader firearms, while the title defender will be allowed the most sophisticated weapon of his/her choice!"

Gimme a break - this is typical hai-B, what a "Competition"!

Giant BS!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what I can see, the superior, most aggressive fighter wins no matter the "brand" of martial arts training.

From what I've seen in the UFC, striking styles (eg. muay thai but especially boxing) usually lose to grappling styles. They get pulled to the floor and then its over pretty quickly. I don't think its a matter of aggression. In fact the grapplers often seem content to wait for their opponent to make a mistake (Gracie is a classic example of this).

In the beginning of UFC and cage fighting, this was probably true. As a collegiate wrestler, I rather liked this outcome.  But now, I think most successful fighters are well grounded in both the striking styles and grappling styles.  

I'm getting a "DNS Error" from this link posted above, is it just me?

http://v.youku.com/v_playlist/f4024943o1p0.html

It downloaded fine for me using CAT EVDO. About 10 MB and took a LONG time. The clip shows the fighters entering the arena, all the preparations and a short part of the first round. That's it, nothing more.

I watched four complete bouts. (There are links in Chinese in the upper right). Loaded very quickly, but then I might be sitting just blocks away from the host and am using very fast broadband).

I watched four complete bouts. (There are links in Chinese in the upper right). Loaded very quickly, but then I might be sitting just blocks away from the host and am using very fast broadband).

Most likely has more to do with how many users are attempting to view the videos at the same time.

"to be fair it should also be noted that many of the most effective techniques of Chinese style are not allowed in the competition.,"

This translates that the Chinese are not allowed to poke their opponents eyes out with chopsticks or cut their balls off with a straight razor! :)

whereas there has never to my knowledge been a MMA champion who is mainly a kung <deleted> or Chinese style martial artist. I am being objective here because I have never trained muay thai but for many years trained in mostly Chinese style martial arts, and have great respect for all styles, but the record speaks for itself and the edge definitely goes to muay thai. However, to be fair it should also be noted that many of the most effective techniques of Chinese style are not allowed in the competition.,

Chuck Liddell's primary style is kenpo, which is the American version of southern kung <deleted>.

True that kung <deleted> is not for the ring. Instead, it's a discipline that was developed for life or death situations. Hence the extensive use of eye-gouging, throat strikes and other techniques that would be impossible to allow in friendly competition.

I was not aware that Chuck Liddell was a kenpo practitioner. As for the comment about the most effective Chinese techniques being allowed, I was referring to techniques of chin na and shuai chaio, which are grappling techniques, as well as lethal type strikes which are obviously illegal. However, muay thai itself is a sport style adopted from muay chaiya and other styles now called muay boran, which also had many effective techniques not allowed in muay thai sport competition.

From what I saw, it looked like the Chinese were fighting Muay Thai, not kungfu, style. It looked like some of the decisions could have been hometown bias as well.

From what I could find out on other websites, these were not Shaolin monks, who were prohibited from accepting the Thai challenge and the circus atmosphere, but supposed practitioners of of Shaolin-style kungfu.

Methinks the whole thing is a bit fishy, actually.

You are right, the chinese were using a fighting technique known as Sanda or San Shou, literally meaning freehand. It is a form of chinese full contact kickboxing

• 1 month later...
<br />
I think that the Thai boxers would crush the Shaolin boxers with little effort.
<br />Agreed. The top Thai boys are hard as nails. Didn't a bunch of them recently prove how superior of a hard martial art it was over the other disciplines by kicking the asses of the kung &lt;deleted&gt;, karate etc experts?<br />
<br /><br /><br /

First of all thaiboxing is NOT a martial art.

Then again neither is karate, taekwondo, judo, etc.

In the ring with gloves on and a thai ref the shaolin chaps will face an upward struggle.

But say they were both in their 40's -50's and meet in a real fight. I would put my money on a well trained shaolin man.

They tend to train all their lives. Can utilize any sort of weapon and sometimes have hands of steel.

Ever seen an iron palms mans hand. One slap would knock any muaythai guy straight back to nakon nowhereT

Alex at the BFC decimated the army thai champ a few years ago. He did not even get one strike in. Thaiboxing is almost useless on the ground and very limited in a real confrontation. French savate is far better in my veiw.It is tactical and strategic .Muaythai is war of attriction.

You hit me 9 times- I hit you 10 times. I win.

Thats not a good outlook.Savate also has a street version and it handwork boxing is vastly

better.

See Dominique, bangkoks only savate instructor demo on the boxer-rebellion website.