New Mcdonalds At Thapae Gate

Ulysses G.

If it's a matter of Western corporate greed invading a cultural location, then I have to agree with the bad flavor that it would leave in the mouth. However, someone would have to prove to me that Micky D's belongs in the same boat as Halliburton, the oil companies, pharmaceutical companies, weapons manufacturers and insurance companies (all western companies, not just American). You just can't say that just because Micky D's raises cattle that they are bad. Many companies and individuals raise cattle.

it's not that they just 'raise cattle'. it's that the swamp and destroy smaller producers and manufacturers and thereby reduce consumer choice. how can that be a positive thing?

Really? Where are you getting your data? Many of the large chains buy their beef from large producers. Micky D's Thailand buys Australian beef.

what data? i'm talking about consumer choice of product on the high street. just as tesco lotus impacts negatively on mom and pop shops, so does mcdonald's on local restaurants around the world.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i suppose if we want to improve on the aesthetics of the area, then we should ban the

hordes of fat, old caucasian men --- particularly the ones wearing loud hawaiian shirts,

bermuda shorts, sandals and black socks.

But I thought that they were part of the traditional Chiang Mai scene, which all the tourists come to gawk at, the Thai ones at least ? ! Happily I myself wear brown socks, when I can find them, that is. :)

They had a doctor on CNN last year who reported a new study that called Pad Thai the least healthy fast food dish available. :D

a man who has clearly never been to scotland then.

Idea for a new food-thread ! Who does Chiang Mai's best deep-fried battered Mars-Bar or Pizza ! :D :D

Or perhaps not ... :D

Maybe human beings should stop settling our differences by killing each other instead of blaming all of our problems on McDonalds. :)

Not all problems, but many. Human beings eating billions of hamburgers each year are contributing to the unspeakable cruelty that is the cow's the 'life'. The lives these cows live, the 'food' they're fed, the deaths they have to endure, are truly awful and reflect on man, the species, in the most deplorable manner.

So not only do humans kill billions of cows to create these hamburgers, they directly contribute to unnecessary hunger for one sixth of the world's human population who can't eat the food grown in their countries because it's exported to the US to make those billions of hamburgers.

Hamburgers kill big time. And those who eat them for years eventually find out what chronic diseases mean. There is just far too little mainstream information out there informing people of just what goes on to get them their hamburger, and then what will happen to their own health down the line.

The system of profit has not an iota of empathy in it. It is rapacious, and devours everything in its way, killing humans, cows, and our planet in equal measure.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned that the belches from cattle contribute 15% per cent of the green house gases that are, according to a few scientists, is destroying our planet by causing global warming.

Maybe we should be giving McDonald's a Global Award for protecting the environment by killing all those cows and reducing green house gases. Maybe someone should contact Al Gore and get him to invent this solution.

If it's a matter of Western corporate greed invading a cultural location, then I have to agree with the bad flavor that it would leave in the mouth. However, someone would have to prove to me that Micky D's belongs in the same boat as Halliburton, the oil companies, pharmaceutical companies, weapons manufacturers and insurance companies (all western companies, not just American). You just can't say that just because Micky D's raises cattle that they are bad. Many companies and individuals raise cattle.

it's not that they just 'raise cattle'. it's that the swamp and destroy smaller producers and manufacturers and thereby reduce consumer choice. how can that be a positive thing?

Really? Where are you getting your data? Many of the large chains buy their beef from large producers. Micky D's Thailand buys Australian beef.

what data? i'm talking about consumer choice of product on the high street. just as tesco lotus impacts negatively on mom and pop shops, so does mcdonald's on local restaurants around the world.

So I guess since little Doi Daket just open their first supper store (Tesco Lotus Express) all the mom and pop stores out hear will close. NOT!

post-91169-1259903802_thumb.jpg

So I guess since little Doi Daket just open their first supper store (Tesco Lotus Express) all the mom and pop stores out hear will close. NOT!

there's plenty of 'data' around about this phenomenon. tesco has a strategy of buying up primo real estate and massively undercutting the local, independent stores. ignore it all you like but it's fact. in thailand it's known as 'tescoisation'. mcdonald's does a similar thing since it can undercut local independent rivals as it sources beef in massive quantities, meaning that smaller local restaurants cannot compete and are often forced under. it would be a shame to see that happen to restaurants in chiang mai.

That is called competition and most people consider it a good thing. Tesco Lotus replaced all the dirty, lousy little mom and pop shops with stale food and a limited, boring inventory. McDonalds will replace the crummy little restaurants with worse hamburgers than the ones they serve up - only the strong survive.

That is called competition and most people consider it a good thing. Tesco Lotus replaced all the dirty, lousy little mom and pop shops with stale food and a limited, boring inventory. McDonalds will replace the crummy little restaurants with worse hamburgers than the ones they serve up - only the strong survive.

nah. 'competition' implies some sort of level starting point and a fighting chance for the other parties. what tesco and mcdonald's and their ilk do is assimilation. and if they are allowed to succeed then the world simply becomes a more boring place.

incidentally does anyone think that the starbuck's at tha pae gate is anything other than an absolute eyesore? one of the most attractive things about this city is its ramshackle and authentic architecture mixed with various thai styles and different boutique hotels, guesthouses etc. a cookie cutter corporate coffee shop looks horribly out of place there, as will the golden arches.

I think the The Starbucks is a really nice looking place and they did a great job on the design. It was an ugly shop house.

nah, it's cookie-cutter and could be anywhere. at least run-down shop houses are authentic and bring character to a place.

Run down shop houses are authentically ugly, but you do have a good line of bullsh*t. :)

Run down shop houses are authentically ugly, but you do have a good line of bullsh*t. :)

well, one man's bullshit is another's harsh truth eh? be a sad world where every coffee shop was a starbuck's and every restaurant was a mcdonald's. obviously that would make some people happy, but the world, and certainly chiang mai whose uniqueness is one of the most attractive things about it, would be a far more boring place.

well, one man's bullshit is another's harsh truth eh? be a sad world where every coffee shop was a starbuck's and every restaurant was a mcdonald's. obviously that would make some people happy, but the world, and certainly chiang mai whose uniqueness is one of the most attractive things about it, would be a far more boring place.

There are 100 different coffee shops in Chiang Mai and 1,000 different restaurants and Starbucks and McDonald's make little difference to the rest of them. In fact, Starbucks probably makes less money than many of it's competitors and the Duke's is kicking butt right next door.

All the others have to do is just give consumers something that they are looking for.

Edited by Ulysses G.

It is interesting that Chiang Mai has something like 2 or 3 McDonald's outlets, but there is a 7/11 store on almost every corner and no one is b*itching about them.

Only with thing, almost every one is filled with customers much of the time. It is hard to argue with success.

who isn't bitching about 7/11s? they're ugly and they're everywhere, they hardly improve the aesthetic of the city. and their business model is no different to that of tesco or mcdonald's.

thai friends of mine were enormously proud when taking me to om khoi for example, because the place 'still doesn't have a 7/11'.

...reading 6 pages of this krap alerts me that menopause is alive and well in Chiang Mai

bitch after bitch after bitch....... doesn't anyone care anymore about the crippled, starving kids in North Korea....????

man was made for bitchin

and

bitches were made for man.....

how about some happy thoughts for our Kings birthday......Good health your majesty and happy birthday

They had a doctor on CNN last year who reported a new study that called Pad Thai the least healthy fast food dish available. :D

It's worth noting that the report was about pad thai in Australia, not in Thailand. I've eaten pad thai in Australia and it's pretty unhealthy :) About triple the normal Thai portion.

I've read through all five pages of this thread and found only one response to the OP's question. Is the coffee at McD's better than Starbucks? Well there are lots of Thai coffeeshops with better, and cheaper, coffee than that offered at Starbucks. In the building where I work there's a coffee kiosk that sells a nice cup of fresh-roasted arabica for 20 baht.

I'm also reminded that McDonald's in Paris have been serving real espresso for years already.

who isn't bitching about 7/11s? they're ugly and they're everywhere, they hardly improve the aesthetic of the city. and their business model is no different to that of tesco or mcdonald's.

thai friends of mine were enormously proud when taking me to om khoi for example, because the place 'still doesn't have a 7/11'.

Let's see. You want to ban McDonald's, Burger King, Tesco, 7-11, and Starbucks, despite the fact that they are all here to stay and are providing a product that the consumer wants. I assume that KFC, WalMart, and WaWee are next in line.

I think you just want to live in the past. My question is how did you pick the 1970's instead of the 12th century?

...reading 6 pages of this krap alerts me that menopause is alive and well in Chiang Mai

Gonzo,

Reset your settings so that you get 40 posts per page. Then block "gotlost". Cuts this thread from 6 pages to 4. Doesn't eliminate all of the krap though.

Let's see. You want to ban McDonald's, Burger King, Tesco, 7-11, and Starbucks, despite the fact that they are all here to stay and are providing a product that the consumer wants. I assume that KFC, WalMart, and WaWee are next in line.

I think you just want to live in the past. My question is how did you pick the 1970's instead of the 12th century?

wasn't aware that i was calling for a 'ban' on them, but thanks for putting words in my mouth. i made reference to the fact that they tend to lessen consumer choice, impact negatively on local independent businesses and as a rule spoil the look of any area they appear in. all of which are true.

and the 12th century was over-rated. the 70s were far more fun.

Maybe human beings should stop settling our differences by killing each other instead of blaming all of our problems on McDonalds. :)

Not all problems, but many. Human beings eating billions of hamburgers each year are contributing to the unspeakable cruelty that is the cow's the 'life'. The lives these cows live, the 'food' they're fed, the deaths they have to endure, are truly awful and reflect on man, the species, in the most deplorable manner.

So not only do humans kill billions of cows to create these hamburgers, they directly contribute to unnecessary hunger for one sixth of the world's human population who can't eat the food grown in their countries because it's exported to the US to make those billions of hamburgers.

Hamburgers kill big time. And those who eat them for years eventually find out what chronic diseases mean. There is just far too little mainstream information out there informing people of just what goes on to get them their hamburger, and then what will happen to their own health down the line.

The system of profit has not an iota of empathy in it. It is rapacious, and devours everything in its way, killing humans, cows, and our planet in equal measure.

:D " O " my god, I'm switching to Burger King.... hope it helps

But the fact remains that we slaughter billions of acres of forest land to feed billions of cows which we fatten and keep alive with millions of tonnes of hormones and antibiotics, and then we slaughter those billions of cows in order to make billions of hamburgers to feed millions of rich people. All able to be done having resorted to the power of advertising. The damage done to those who eat thousands of hamburgers in their lifetime (not one a week say at the mad dog or dukes), and the damage done to our planet to sustain this hamburger industry created by the likes of mcdonalds is undeniable.

Food fascist, emotional, adding in strawmen arguments, putting words into people's mouths that weren't there, whatever, it's an easy jibe to help one refuse to accept the reality behind the industry.

The hamburger industry stinks, and probably causes more global warming than oil. I don't know the figures, but it's probably odds on to be the case.

Pipedown with your ranting. No-one gives a smeg. If you want to make a difference, lobby for McD's to change their murderous, unhealthy, excessive ways. There's no point in trying to educate the masses with elaborate facts and figures as all it does is end up making you a nitwit... and besides, if we leave the cows alone, it won't be fair on the chickens.

It's probably a shame one is going up there but at least it's not within Chiang Mai city of old. I expect you also had a hard time accepting the one going up in the Night Bazaar. At the end of the day, time moves along and this'll happen more and more in a developing country, and anyway, they can do what they like on their turf. :)

I actually don't give a flying monkeys what people do, it's their choice. But at least a thread came along for a change on this forum that allowed me to have a rant. Too many assinine threads normally, here was one where i could spout for a while. What i was spouting about was still true mind, nitwit or not.

I don't have a hard time in chiang mai, it's why i'm here. I never saw the night bazaar one go up, and i only ever get to that area about once a year if i want cds.

I still dislike what mcdonalds stands for, and i can't unknow what i have come to know about them and their practices. I will forever talk about it when the topic is up, and those who wish to listen can, and the rest can froth at the mouth with their indignation at me being some kind of food fascist. Free world innit.

i made reference to the fact that they tend to lessen consumer choice, impact negatively on local independent businesses and as a rule spoil the look of any area they appear in. all of which are true.

All of that might possibly be true in someplace like Southern France or Hawaii, but in Chiang Mai they tend to do just the opposite.

Fast food places are not cheap here, so, good restaurants like the Duke's thrive. People who are looking for real cooks and all fresh ingredients seek them out and pay less for a better deal. The only restaurants that might be hurt by a fast food joint are so nasty that they probably should have gone out of business long ago.

As far as spoiling the look of areas where they appear. You have already said that the Starbucks at Thapae Gate is not attractive and as it is much prettier than any of the buildings around it - one of the nicest buildings in town - you don't have a lot of credibility when it comes to judging such things.

If Thapae Gate was a beautiful, old, restored historical area, you might have a point, but it is an unattractive bunch of bars and foreign busineses that have little to do with Thailand. McDonalds should fit right in.

Edited by Ulysses G.

i made reference to the fact that they tend to lessen consumer choice, impact negatively on local independent businesses and as a rule spoil the look of any area they appear in. all of which are true.

All of that might possibly be true in someplace like Southern France or Hawaii, but in Chiang Mai they tend to do just the opposite.

Fast food places are not cheap here, so, good restaurants like the Duke's thrive. People who are looking for real cooks and all fresh ingredients seek them out and pay less for a better deal. The only restaurants that might be hurt are so nasty that they probably should have gone out of business long ago.

As far as spoiling the look of areas where they appear. You have already said that the Starbucks at Thapae Gate is not attractive and as it is much prettier than any of the buildings around it - one of the nicest buildings in town - you don't have a lot of credibility when it comes to judging such things.

If Thapae Gate was a beautiful, old, restored historical area, you might have a point, but it is an unattractive bunch of bars and foreign busineses that have little to do with Thailand. McDonalds should fit right in.

i don't think you know what the words 'authentic' and 'character' mean. you should perhaps look them up in a book. nor do you maybe know what a good restaurant is. the duke's is an okay restaurant if steaks and burgers are your thing, but it's rather closer in nature to a mcdonald's than it is to a coq d'or.

i don't think you know what the words 'authentic' and 'character' mean. you should perhaps look them up in a book. nor do you maybe know what a good restaurant is. the duke's is an okay restaurant if steaks and burgers are your thing, but it's rather closer in nature to a mcdonald's than it is to a coq d'or.

I looked them up, but just as I thought, the definition has nothing to do with boring, run down and unsightly, so the Starbucks building at Thapae Gate still looks great to me compared to other buildings in the area.

By the way, a "good" restaurant is very different from "great", so I think that the Duke's easily qualifies despite your opinion.