Faulty Goods From Big C

wackysleet

Some advice needed please, 11 days ago I purchased a DVD player from this store which included the facility for playing music from a memory stick well today after loading said stick I got nothing from the machine so I took the machine back where it was tried with various sticks by numerous assistants, nothing, so they tried 4 more machines all with one or more functions not working until the 5th one which appeared to be ok, upon returning to the customer desk I was informed that Big Cs policy on returns is upto 10 days and I had to send it back to the manufacturer as it had a 1 year warranty, my argument was that I bought the machine from them and thats where the contract was made ie them selling a product of merchantable quality, still they refused, by this time a little group had started to form and it was only when I asked the manageress if in fact they were in the habit of selling faulty goods, of course not she said, ok then said I why were the four faulty DVD players repacked and put back on the shelf unless it was the stores intention to sell the machines, why not check all of this particular model and return the faulty ones to the manufacturer, well in light of the people listening to this exchange she relented and allowed me to take the machine and yes you have guessed it the bloody thing lasted about 15 minutes and gave up the ghost so what are the legalities at point of purchase, do they have any resposibilities after the 10 days.

These places (like Tesco) have clear printed rules regarding exchanges and what the time limit is.

I have received my money back on an 8000 baht phone at Tesco, just because I decided I didn't like it. I returned it in perfect order after 2 days, all original packaging and receipt etc. No problem.

I don't know Big C policy - you have to check it out for sure.

Usually I avoid buying anything like TV's, computers etc at these stores - I've heard a lot of bad stuff.......true or not I don't now.

Luckily when I first got to Thailand, people warned me NEVER to buy electronics from Big C. I've heard many of the same stories.

Unfortunately Thais do not appear to want to cause a scene by complaining thats why they seem to get shafted by these large companies. This "well you must return it to the manufacturer" went out in England in the 60s and all people should have consumer rights that are fair.

upon returning to the customer desk I was informed that Big Cs policy on returns is upto 10 days and I had to send it back to the manufacturer as it had a 1 year warranty, my argument was that I bought the machine from them and thats where the contract was made ie them selling a product of merchantable quality,

You are saying you entered into a contract when purchased correct? Well then why are you trying to get them to do something outside of what was agreed to in the contract

ie 10 day return, you bring it in on day 11, not their fault, you needed to bring it in before then.

I had same thing in the US, bought a stereo and after 30 days it failed, i took it to the store they told me I needed to send it to the authorized manufacture center, they only had a 30 day return policy. So don't make this a Thai thing or Big C, or you verse them, you are wrong, next time check everything out when you 1st get it home. I know when I buy something from central they always check it and make sure it works and shows me that it works before I even pay. Maybe Big C is not the best place to by electronics. I know 20 years ago I worked in a third party repair house repairing computers, replacement parts had a failure rate of 5% from the manufacture, not sure if its still this high, but I'm always weary of low cost electronics items from super stores.

Now with that was replaced DVD not working, I would see if you can return that as you only have had it a few days, did they give you new paper work? They should have. If not then you might have a problem.

Yesterday the wife and I were shopping at the Big C in Sa Kaeo. Were looking at the washing machines ,12,000 baht Panasonic. Upon close inspection I noticed that the machine I was interested in had been USED, I don't meann tested. The lint filter was full of debris and all manor of waste,

I now know for sure that they cannot be trusted.

Jim Godber

Some of these big stores wish to present themselves as having the lowest prices. They do this by purchasing all the faulty/refurbished factory rejects or goods from oddball chinese manufacturers.

Over the 30 odd years I have lived in Thailand, I'd say that about 70% of all major items I have purchased have been faulty, broken, dented, previously used/display models, or had parts missing. I have a policy - NEVER take anything home until it has been throughly checked out in the store. Take it home yourself - NEVER get it delivered (or it will be smashed en route) and then CHECK AGAIN and return if necessary. I've broken this rule a few times and got shafted each time.

I never buy from smaller retailers as their good are most likely to be broken and they have no qualms about telling you it's your problem. As for the bigger stores, you can almost always win your case. There are good consumer laws here but nobody gives a stuff about them because they can be broken with impunity. In fact, most of the problem is not caused by the store's policy but simply that the staff do not want to do accept any responsibility. What does work - almost every time - is to stand at the service desk and complain loudly. Do not take NO for an answer. Raise your voice and shout at the staff. Ask for the manager (he will also try to evade responsibility - it may take you an hour to get him to come because he will be hiding somewhere). Shout some more. Make sure you get a BIG crowd and if you speak Thai tell them all how you have been cheated. Hold out for a replacement or money back on the spot. If the security staff are called do not worry, they will not have the guts to do anything and if you keep this up you WILL receive some service. On occasions I have made a scene for over 3 hours and then had a replacement issued. Get a new receipt for the replacement. Cause another scene by having them test it in front of everybody. The purpose of all this is to let them know you will NOT be fobbed off or cheated again.

The only Thais who have the nerve to do this are the rich ones. It works for them, it'll work for you. Forget all the BS Thai "mai pen rai" crap - most people do not do this because they are afraid of reprisals, nothing to do with not caring. Most Thais are regularly screwed because they don't fight back. To repeat - you ***MUST** give the appearance of losing your temper or they will ignore you.

I remember one occasion I was sold a saw on which the teeth had not been set at the factory. When I took it back they agreed but actually told me they would not change it and it was my fault. I merely took one from the shelf, put the old one back, and walked out. Nobody had the balls to stop me.

In Thailand, if you do not stick up for yourself, you will be screwed. That is a golden rule - it applies in all situations, both business/commerce and personal relationships. The law does not protect anyone because there is nobody to enforce it.

Edited by stolidfeline

You have to remember that because we have these rights in Britain or wherever, it does not mean Thais enjoy them. Big C, Tesco and Carrfore are only obliged to follow the rules in the country they do business.

If you refuse to buy TVs and suchlike from these supermarkets, where can you go? Don't for a second think that Powerbuy or Data IT are a stroke better.

I once bought a Casio camera from the Emporium. It broke after 19 days, I returned it and the manager refused to even speak with me. It was nothing to do with him. I had to go to Casio repairs on Ekkamai and they told me that I had to pay 7k to have it repaired. It seems that taking photos with it in Thailand was enough to break it.

Very poor service all round.

Some of these big stores wish to present themselves as having the lowest prices. They do this by purchasing all the faulty/refurbished factory rejects or goods from oddball chinese manufacturers.

Over the 30 odd years I have lived in Thailand, I'd say that about 70% of all major items I have purchased have been faulty, broken, dented, previously used/display models, or had parts missing. I have a policy - NEVER take anything home until it has been throughly checked out in the store. Take it home yourself - NEVER get it delivered (or it will be smashed en route) and then CHECK AGAIN and return if necessary. I've broken this rule a few times and got shafted each time.

I never buy from smaller retailers as their good are most likely to be broken and they have no qualms about telling you it's your problem. As for the bigger stores, you can almost always win your case. There are good consumer laws here but nobody gives a stuff about them because they can be broken with impunity. In fact, most of the problem is not caused by the store's policy but simply that the staff do not want to do accept any responsibility. What does work - almost every time - is to stand at the service desk and complain loudly. Do not take NO for an answer. Raise your voice and shout at the staff. Ask for the manager (he will also try to evade responsibility - it may take you an hour to get him to come because he will be hiding somewhere). Shout some more. Make sure you get a BIG crowd and if you speak Thai tell them all how you have been cheated. Hold out for a replacement or money back on the spot. If the security staff are called do not worry, they will not have the guts to do anything and if you keep this up you WILL receive some service. On occasions I have made a scene for over 3 hours and then had a replacement issued. Get a new receipt for the replacement. Cause another scene by having them test it in front of everybody. The purpose of all this is to let them know you will NOT be fobbed off or cheated again.

The only Thais who have the nerve to do this are the rich ones. It works for them, it'll work for you. Forget all the BS Thai "mai pen rai" crap - most people do not do this because they are afraid of reprisals, nothing to do with not caring. Most Thais are regularly screwed because they don't fight back. To repeat - you ***MUST** give the appearance of losing your temper or they will ignore you.

I remember one occasion I was sold a saw on which the teeth had not been set at the factory. When I took it back they agreed but actually told me they would not change it and it was my fault. I merely took one from the shelf, put the old one back, and walked out. Nobody had the balls to stop me.

In Thailand, if you do not stick up for yourself, you will be screwed. That is a golden rule - it applies in all situations, both business/commerce and personal relationships. The law does not protect anyone because there is nobody to enforce it.

I would like to see your reaction when you get to the pearly gates and St. Peter says "your out of hear" :)

Ive tried dam_n hard to buy floor stock..... how are you numpties succeeding at such a task as this seems to be the major whine in this thread..... ohhh pooor me, i bout an item, it was floor stock and semi soiled, when it died i took it back but they told me to sling it..... go figure.

Ive tried dam_n hard to buy floor stock..... how are you numpties succeeding at such a task as this seems to be the major whine in this thread..... ohhh pooor me, i bout an item, it was floor stock and semi soiled, when it died i took it back but they told me to sling it..... go figure.

Funny how there's always one of you on thaivisa :)

You have to remember that because we have these rights in Britain or wherever, it does not mean Thais enjoy them. Big C, Tesco and Carrfore are only obliged to follow the rules in the country they do business.

If you refuse to buy TVs and suchlike from these supermarkets, where can you go? Don't for a second think that Powerbuy or Data IT are a stroke better.

I once bought a Casio camera from the Emporium. It broke after 19 days, I returned it and the manager refused to even speak with me. It was nothing to do with him. I had to go to Casio repairs on Ekkamai and they told me that I had to pay 7k to have it repaired. It seems that taking photos with it in Thailand was enough to break it.

Very poor service all round.

And it will remain so until people start complaining, in other smaller stores my experience has been totally different and in most cases a pleasure to do business with.

Firstly I wouldn't but anything electrical from Big C (Chiangmai) , not because the products were faulty but because up front there service is pathetic. Been caught once, which was enough. If I had that much trouble just buying it , it only stands that there after sales service would be just as bad.

You would get the same response from Tesco and Carrefour. Having dealt with them with faulty items they told be where to take it for repair. On all occasions at purchase they have told me about their returns policy.

I think that it is valid that you should take it back to the manufacturer. Here lies the problem, what brand is it? If LG, Samsung Sony etc, not a major problem. They have plenty of workshops around the country and honour their warranties. If it another brand then it is a lucky dip.

Overall with the ones I have dealt with I have found them to be fair.

Better hurry and try and get it fixed before the warranty runs out.

Good Luck

Edited by newcomer01