Paddy Fill

cloudhopper

Hi don't know if this is the best forum for this question but I want to build a concrete 6X12m workshop/storage building on paddy land about 1m above the paddy level. Should the pads/posts be dug into the paddy before the fill or after? How stable is fill dirt dug from paddy land? Thanks...

We built our home at the beginning of last year on paddy land. We dug out soil from old paddy from a depth up to about 4-5 metres. This was used as fill to a depth of about 1 metre. This was allowed to compact for a year before starting the housebuild.

Our builder told us that the fill was very good for building on and had compacted like concrete!

We dug approx 2 metres foundation holes through the fill into the paddy.

Of course the fill dug from so deep is not very good for growing plants, vegetables, trees etc so you may want to put a layer of good topsoil on the fill if you want a nice garden.

We did a fill for a plot of village property for about 1.5 meters of depth. After laying about 0.5 meters deep, had a local tractor come in and smooth it out then had a very large heavy road construction compactor come and roll over and compress the soil. Repeated the process for the next 0.5 meter and then the last 0.5 meter of soil. Sorry I don't know the individual costs of the tractor and the compactor, because my builder just figured it in with the total labor and construction cost for the house. At any rate this is what they do in the west and in most city construction around here. You too can have it done, you only have to ask. By the way, the soil was rock hard after compacting. The workers had a heck of a time digging holes for the footings/foundation and sewage tanks.