Brit Owned Chiang Mai Restaurants

BigWheelMan

Okay, I'll bite!

- I've always seen the No Riff-Raff policy at The Red Lion as a comic deterrent, it hasn't put me off! I pop in every so often and enjoy good service and the odd chat with that strange John Cleese character.

JxP

I'm afraid you got it wrong - it isn't a comic deterrent. The more comics the better, I say. The fact that some people believe that the No Riff Raff sign is serious is quite amusing - it does have a photo of John Cleese next to it!! Don't tell me - you thought it was me?  :) Seriously though- we don't discriminate at all , we even serve guys with pony tails (including the ones that aren't from California).

I'm deffo going now - time to watch the footie ...The Burnley Supporter club will be there by now, and after that game we have Liverpool on the Big Screen, and Man You on the TV's.

When you walk, through the storm ......... 

Edited by KevinHunt

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the love of god, not another Red Lion self promotional thread, enough already.

So, Kevin writes loads of posts complaining about himself and his business and then he answers them in a sarcastic manner while insulting all and sundry and then writes in with new complaints. This fellow must be a marketing genius. :)

For the love of god, not another Red Lion self promotional thread, enough already.

So, Kevin writes loads of posts complaining about himself and his business and then he answers them in a sarcastic manner while insulting all and sundry and then writes in with new complaints. This fellow must be a marketing genius. :)

You seem to not understand much at all about marketing UG and all of its paths, it occurs to me also that you have perhaps never fully understood Basil and all that he portrayed - but hey, as Matthew once said, it's all about hits, numbers and exposure.

Okay, I'll bite!

- I've always seen the No Riff-Raff policy at The Red Lion as a comic deterrent, it hasn't put me off! I pop in every so often and enjoy good service and the odd chat with that strange John Cleese character.

JxP

I'm afraid you got it wrong - it isn't a comic deterrent. The more comics the better, I say. The fact that some people believe that the No Riff Raff sign is serious is quite amusing - it does have a photo of John Cleese next to it!! Don't tell me - you thought it was me? :) Seriously though- we don't discriminate at all , we even serve guys with pony tails (including the ones that aren't from California).

I'm deffo going now - time to watch the footie ...The Burnley Supporter club will be there by now, and after that game we have Liverpool on the Big Screen, and Man You on the TV's.

I guess than, you`re the big white chief of this Restaurant.

Now I know that the no riff raff sign is a gag, I will feel much more at ease and visit your place again. But newbies like myself and tourists may think it`s for real and that could lose you customers.

I was a bus driver and proud of it. If Chiang Mai decides to use London type double deckers buses, maybe they will give me the contact for driver training.

I do draw the line at pony tails. So why not change the sign to: no pony tails instead.

Do you do Christmas dinners? If so, can I book up?

I'm now officially confused who Kevin Hunt is.. Not Matthew?

If I'm correct, Kevin Hunt is Kevin Hunt and Matthew got the boot many moons ago. He started his own place that never caught on despite his great expertise in marketing.

Edited by Ulysses G.

bigwheelman.

re .... driver training ? ... wots that ?

it doesnt exist in thailand and probably never will !

dave2 ... an ex HGV 1 english driver

david s smith ..... aka ... AA Griggs soham cambs ...eat your heart out ... : )

Edited by dave2

From my last visit I would rate;(over one night)

1.Old Bell

2 Red Lion

3.No 1 Bar.

4.CM Saloon

5.O Mallys

6.Tuskers

7.Uk Irish

8.Mad Dogs

9.Leppis

10.Jucy Lucys Bar.

Could change on next jolli

They are not all Brits places but had enough of that varirty of customers imbibing...anyway when it comes to gin joints I have no moral hangups on nationality....even like the French and Germans :)

A strange post, you mention two British pubs, neither from what I can gather have given you bad service.

I think you'll find the no riff raff sign is a bit of a joke on the owners part I don't believe he has ever ejected anyone from his pub for the way they look, if he had I'm sure he would have had started a big discussion about it here :)

The pub I haven't been to in years so can't comment.

What about Tuskers - you can't beat the couple who own this place for hospitality, I've heard the owner of the Olde Bell is a friendly gent though I've never spoken to him. All Brits. I'm sure there are lots of other examples.

I have been a few times at teh OLDE BELL .Very friendly Inn keeper ,very friendly and ENGLISH speaking staff !Good food and drinks !Also snooker , and big screen TV's.The choise is easy I think.

So, Kevin writes loads of posts complaining about himself and his business and then he answers them in a sarcastic manner while insulting all and sundry and then writes in with new complaints. This fellow must be a marketing genius. :D

You seem to not understand much at all about marketing UG and all of its paths, it occurs to me also that you have perhaps never fully understood Basil and all that he portrayed - but hey, as Matthew once said, it's all about hits, numbers and exposure.

I'm under the impression from the success of Gecko Books that UG knows all about marketing :)

Glad this topic had a happy ending and the OP is going to have his Christmas Dinner at the Lion.

Don't forget to try Tuskers and the Olde Bell sometime for more British hospitiality :D

Anyway, welcome to the new-arrival (OP), it sometimes feels like we Brits are taking-over, first C.M. and then the World ! :)

If you like cricket, then look out for Sixes-Week in April, at the Gymkana-Club, well worth a visit ! :D

By the bye, Dave at the Duke's is as American as they come, and a delightful guy. If you didn't already, order a pizza there, and bring an appetite ! :D Also try the chocolate-cake ! I myself tend to prefer the riverside one, the Night Bazaar being slightly more expensive & touristy. But more-convenient, when waiting for Mrs R & the kids, who like to hit the cheap-film stalls.

Lastly, please pardon my ignorance, but did Haus Munchen re-open, anyone ? I used to love their schnitzel & fried-potatoes ! :D

the escape bar, formerly the blackpool, up the soi from johns place, is run by steve from southampton and nuuch. very friendly hosts.

good food, thai and western. try the fish and chips, masaman and breakfasts. a nice place to have a drink, 60's and 70's music and sport on the t.v. check it out.

Lastly, please pardon my ignorance, but did Haus Munchen re-open, anyone ? I used to love their schnitzel & fried-potatoes !  :D

Haus Munchen did close down, and most of the staff were moved to The Red Lion (same ownewrship), where we also incorporated most of the popular german dishes in the menu. Your Schnitzel and Bratkartoffeln are there as well as the popular Schweinshaxe and Mixed German sausages. You are welcome to try it any time but if you come to The Red Lion, whatever you do, don't mention the war. (They bombed our chippy  :) ).

Edited by KevinHunt

Do you honestly think that the 'No Riff Raff' sign is to be taken seriously? I have been called some odd names before but never 'arrogant'. A working class lad from Kirkby doesn't have much cause to be arrogant.

Having said that, we don't get much Riff Raff so maybe it works. :D

You sure? :)

Okay, I'll bite!

JxP

I'm afraid you got it wrong - it isn't a comic deterrent. The more comics the better, I say. The fact that some people believe that the No Riff Raff sign is serious is quite amusing - it does have a photo of John Cleese next to it!! Don't tell me - you thought it was me? :) Seriously though- we don't discriminate at all , we even serve guys with pony tails (including the ones that aren't from California).

I guess than, you`re the big white chief of this Restaurant.

Now I know that the no riff raff sign is a gag, I will feel much more at ease and visit your place again. But newbies like myself and tourists may think it`s for real and that could lose you customers.

I was a bus driver and proud of it. If Chiang Mai decides to use London type double deckers buses, maybe they will give me the contact for driver training.

I do draw the line at pony tails. So why not change the sign to: no pony tails instead.

Do you do Christmas dinners? If so, can I book up?

MUCH more vitally, is that a "roofbox" London Country I see before me?? Very rare indeed, huh?

I drove an RTL open topper and an AEC/BEA 1.5 decker.

To avoid being accused of going off topic, let's have a drink!

Red Lion or Olde Bell, this week?

(Coach drivers also welcome, specially those who used to stop at a place called Orange in France!!)

i must admit, hes taking advantage of his new sponsership position :)

How's that?

He didn't start the thread.

Surely the owner, regardless of any

sponsorship arrangement is entitled

to respond to posts about his business.

Regards

Will

the escape bar, formerly the blackpool, up the soi from johns place, is run by steve from southampton and nuuch. very friendly hosts.

good food, thai and western. try the fish and chips, masaman and breakfasts. a nice place to have a drink, 60's and 70's music and sport on the t.v. check it out.

Sorry I must learn to read, I was just becoming interested in trying the mamasan right after breakfast :)

i must admit, hes taking advantage of his new sponsership position :)

How's that?

He didn't start the thread.

Surely the owner, regardless of any

sponsorship arrangement is entitled

to respond to posts about his business.

Regards

Will

suppose so, but he was censored/banned or whatever previous to him being a sponser for 'promoting his business', even thou he didnt mention his business. A classic tale was about the rats he saw in a pub he was in, ''not mine''

:D

perhaps we could all get together @ the pub in question,with our hair in ponytails, and share a Leo or 2 bought from the 7-11 :D

I'm now officially confused who Kevin Hunt is.. Not Matthew?

If I'm correct, Kevin Hunt is Kevin Hunt and Matthew got the boot many moons ago. He started his own place that never caught on despite his great expertise in marketing.

Matthew got the boot!! :D

Hope he wasn't a victim of the "No riff-raff" policy :D

Used to like Matthew, thought he was a nice bloke, certainly boosted the sales with all the 'admirers' he attracted.

Any idea what went amiss?

Tell me it wasn't because he didn't charge for water...uups! :)