Expand 'Security' and click 'Firewall'

Check boxes for

Active Firewall

Bypass Triangle Route

LAN to WAN - Permit

Click 'Apply'

Then click 'Anti Probing'

Select WAN and check 'Do Not Respond..." and click 'Apply'

Well if you are behind a NAT of any kind - e.g. a router - then you are pretty safe from all sorts of incoming attacks already. That's because the router is exposed to the internet, not your PC, so programs that scan ports and so on don't work.

All in all, I don't think turning on or off the firewall on the router will make any difference to your internet safety. Keep the firewall on on your Windows computer in case you sometimes connect directly (laptop).

And keep in mind that most attacks these days will be either

- Flash drive from a friend. Don't allow anyone to put their flash drive on your computer unless you have turned off Windows autorun. If you don't know what autorun is then you didn't turn it off.

- IE drive by attacks. Use Firefox and don't visit shady websites

- Downloaded viruses inside videos or pirated programs. Don't do that. And never, ever, download a "codec" in order to watch a video.

I think that's all....

Well if you are behind a NAT of any kind - e.g. a router - then you are pretty safe from all sorts of incoming attacks already. That's because the router is exposed to the internet, not your PC, so programs that scan ports and so on don't work.

All in all, I don't think turning on or off the firewall on the router will make any difference to your internet safety. Keep the firewall on on your Windows computer in case you sometimes connect directly (laptop).

And keep in mind that most attacks these days will be either

- Flash drive from a friend. Don't allow anyone to put their flash drive on your computer unless you have turned off Windows autorun. If you don't know what autorun is then you didn't turn it off.

- IE drive by attacks. Use Firefox and don't visit shady websites

- Downloaded viruses inside videos or pirated programs. Don't do that. And never, ever, download a "codec" in order to watch a video.

I think that's all....

The firewall and stealth settings are to protect hacking of the router from the internet.

I've got a Zyxel Wireless Router (no modem support) and the TOT Speedtouch 536v6, using the Zyxel just in Wireless AP mode.

Just recently I changed my setup to enable the router part of the zyxel and use the Speedtouch in Bridge mode in order to enable the advanced features of the Zyxel such as Guest WLAN, Firewall, etc. After just 2 days I changed back to the previous setup because the Zyxel just couldn't handle the high number of connections that certain download clients use. I tried to tweak the settings, increase the session connection limit, disable the firewall, checked the connection timeouts on the cli, etc. No success.

Do you have a similiar experience? What Zyxel router do you have, mine is a P-320W v2.

welo

I've got a Zyxel Wireless Router (no modem support) and the TOT Speedtouch 536v6, using the Zyxel just in Wireless AP mode.

Just recently I changed my setup to enable the router part of the zyxel and use the Speedtouch in Bridge mode in order to enable the advanced features of the Zyxel such as Guest WLAN, Firewall, etc. After just 2 days I changed back to the previous setup because the Zyxel just couldn't handle the high number of connections that certain download clients use. I tried to tweak the settings, increase the session connection limit, disable the firewall, checked the connection timeouts on the cli, etc. No success.

Do you have a similiar experience? What Zyxel router do you have, mine is a P-320W v2.

welo

I am using the standard True issued Zyxel WiFi V1 and the P-600 series in 3 of my condo units. They are gateway devices, that is, a combo of router and ADSL modem, and can support only minimal total number of simultaneous connections.

If you want a dedicated router, try getting something on this router chart that supports over a 100 simultaneous connections:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index.php?o...=&chart=124

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately my model is not included and the maximum 'number of connections' in the tables are not accurate since there seems to be an issue with the software used for testing ("The maximum possible number of connections is 200 due to IxChariot license limitations.").

Even 200 connections would be too view for my requirements anyway.

Whatever, the Speedtouch is doing fine, I was just disappointed cause I always thought of Zyxel as a quality brand, but it seems their home user products are underpowered for their router/firewall software (or at least the one I have) when it comes to P2P.

welo