Phuket Not Yet Ready For Another Tsunami

webfact

OPINION:

Phuket not yet ready for another tsunami

gallery_327_1086_22084.jpg

Only time will tell if the new UK system for tracking its nationals

in Thailand will be effective. The stakes are high, and the odds

are stacked in favor of success.

PHUKET CITY: With the fifth anniversary of the tsunami approaching, now is a good time to reflect on how well prepared Phuket might be should a similar disaster befall us in the future.

The sad truth is that we are still a long way from where we should be, even though public awareness of the threat of tsunamis is understandably much higher than it was before.

Apart from the change from wood to plastic loungers in some locations, most Phuket beaches appear to have changed little in terms of limiting possible damage and loss of life.

Some of the most devastated areas, most notably Patong, are more dangerously overdeveloped than ever – chock full of obstacles that would prevent a rapid evacuation, should one be necessary.

In many cases, especially along the beach road north of Soi Bangla, there are even fewer possible escape routes due to all the commercial development.

Even worse is the fact that for months Thailand has lacked an operating tsunami direct detection unit, the vital first link in conducting a successful evacuation.

The first buoy, donated by the US and deployed northwest of Phuket in 2006, ceased transmitting a few months ago. The reason? Some say that red tape and bureaucratic reshuffling by the National Disaster Warning Center (NDWC) rendered the agency incapable of changing the buoy's battery, a responsibility that had long ago been agreed with the US.

The NDWC is now in a race against time to rectify the situation in a one-week mission that begins December 14. If successful, this could spare Thailand the embarrassment of having an unforgivable failure come under international scrutiny on the tsunami anniversary.

On a more positive note, the British Government recently put in place a new Internet-based tracking system called 'LOCATE' that is intended to provide real-time data about UK nationals in Thailand.

There are as many as 80,000 British subjects in Thailand at any given time in the high season, with some 5,000 residing in Phuket full time, according to some estimates.

Inevitably, some get into trouble. Imagine how much easier the work of the British Embassy would have been after the 2004 tsunami if all UK nationals had been registered in such a database.

It doesn't take a tsunami to justify implementing such a system, however. LOCATE should be a tremendous aid to consular officials, expat residents and their families back home in times of crisis.

We encourage all UK nationals to register with the site and hope other countries, especially Thailand, learn to make better use of the amazing technologies now available for use in disaster prevention and mitigation strategies.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009/12/7

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The reason? Some say that red tape and bureaucratic reshuffling by the National Disaster Warning Center (NDWC) rendered the agency incapable of changing the buoy's battery

Words fail me. :)

How many Thais doea it take to change a battery?

Nobody knows because the government committee to ascertain the manning requirements has failed to get information on what size of battery should be used. The battery size is under the responsibility of the national committee for temporary power supplies but they are currently in dispute with EGAT who claim, as the national body with responsibility for electricity, it is their job to control batteries. This dispute is further compounded by the fact that the battery is for use in an offshore structure thus is under maritime laws and regulations. Blah blah blah.................

Never mind though, the British government has been stung into action by criticism of it's lack of response to the 2004 disaster and has installed a system to keep tabs on all it's little lambs and ensure adequate supplies of cotton wool, fresh wipes and clean diapers for all in any future emergency.

I'm glad to see that they are finally going to replace the battery. When we first heard about this, there was a lot of shock that Thailand didn't just row a boat out to the buoy and change the battery. I think that is where a lot of the bureaucracy speculation came from. While I think it was part of the problem, I think money is another issue.

The main thing that the papers all fail (and failed) to specify is that the battery isn't in the floating buoy on the surface. It is in a movement detector on the sea bed that is quite large and delicate. As well, it's crucial to maintain the sensor's position, because if it changes, the readings will be incorrect.

You have to get a large ship with a strong enough crane out to the site (I've been told that this requires a science ship with the proper kind of crane, and a naval vessel for protection), and immediately replace the dead sensor with a replacement, while the dead one is cleaned (it is covered in sea life now) and the battery is replaced and then re-calibrated. Only then can it be brought back out to the site and put back in its original position.

Once I found out how difficult the procedure is, I understood the reluctance of the Thai government to handle this issue in international water.

Its called a buoy tender and its made for the job. I am sure the Thai Coast Guard must have one to maintain other buoy. Call the US Coast Guard they would love a few days in Thailand. Its easy to reset just put it on a short stay and use gps.

And that's probably how the whole bureaucratic thing happened. I'd be willing to bet that assistance was offered, but the government couldn't accept because of the loss of face. The coast guard must have one now, but who knows about before. Oh well, at least it's getting done, and hopefully the next time it won't take the better part of a year!

Its called a buoy tender and its made for the job. I am sure the Thai Coast Guard must have one to maintain other buoy. Call the US Coast Guard they would love a few days in Thailand. Its easy to reset just put it on a short stay and use gps.

You are correct. The Suriya is a buoy tender. Built in 1979, the 970 ton, 60 man crew services buoys.

There is also the Chandhara oceanographic research vessel. Built in 1961, 997 tons, 68 man crew and it has armaments.

No need for foreign assistance, just some planning and a decision to pay for the maintenance. My suspicion is that Thailand was waiting for someone else to come pay for it. Perhaps the there was concern that funds taken away from the military would cut into the Mercedes Benz fund for command officers?

It's not Thailand. How long has it taken for California to realize that a catastrophic event will hit them? They still are not ready for that quake that will do them in. It will take Thailand just as long and unfortunately a lot of pain.

I am from the U.S. and I feel that it is my country that is to blame to an extent. The reason is that, as the article states, the responsibility to change the battery was left on LOS, but it may have not been understood that it HAS to be changed after one goes out. Also, was it determined that LOS had the capability to change the battery. Not only the ship, crane, trained personel, etc., but dependable officials to make sure that it happens. I know the U.S. sends an extroidinary amount of money to various countries all the time for various aid projects, but determining if that money will actually be used as it was intended must be established. I hope that this issue will be resolved quickly and that those who can will establish/appoint someone in charge of the tsunami warning system that has the ability to fix/resolve any issues that may arise.

Then again, the Thais may think like me..."what are the chances of that happening again?"

The reason? Some say that red tape and bureaucratic reshuffling by the National Disaster Warning Center (NDWC) rendered the agency incapable of changing the buoy's battery

Words fail me. :)

How many Thais doea it take to change a battery?

Nobody knows because the government committee to ascertain the manning requirements has failed to get information on what size of battery should be used. The battery size is under the responsibility of the national committee for temporary power supplies but they are currently in dispute with EGAT who claim, as the national body with responsibility for electricity, it is their job to control batteries. This dispute is further compounded by the fact that the battery is for use in an offshore structure thus is under maritime laws and regulations. Blah blah blah.................

Never mind though, the British government has been stung into action by criticism of it's lack of response to the 2004 disaster and has installed a system to keep tabs on all it's little lambs and ensure adequate supplies of cotton wool, fresh wipes and clean diapers for all in any future emergency.

Sadly all too close to home....

I am from the U.S. and I feel that it is my country that is to blame to an extent. The reason is that, as the article states, the responsibility to change the battery was left on LOS, but it may have not been understood that it HAS to be changed after one goes out. Also, was it determined that LOS had the capability to change the battery. Not only the ship, crane, trained personel, etc., but dependable officials to make sure that it happens. I know the U.S. sends an extroidinary amount of money to various countries all the time for various aid projects, but determining if that money will actually be used as it was intended must be established. I hope that this issue will be resolved quickly and that those who can will establish/appoint someone in charge of the tsunami warning system that has the ability to fix/resolve any issues that may arise.

Then again, the Thais may think like me..."what are the chances of that happening again?"

I can't blame the US for this.

I can blame the Thais who didn't read the manual

and so didn't know in advance this needed to be done periodically,

and to set aside money to do it.

This is a cheap fix job and not the million baht job it has been inflated into,

Chances are the parts are off the shelf in Bangkok, or a one week order

from Singapore. This is not rocket science, this is a bureaucracy cock-up and nothing more.

And now rather than any one guy lose face for neglecting his job,

the whole nation loses face and remains unprepared for another tsunami.

The USA has NOTHING to do with this, other than waiting for a potential call for the parts.

Though no doubt there is a manual with parts list and precise battery specs; Amps, Volts,

dimensions, manufacturers, attachment methods, tool types needed, alternate replacement part

model numbers etc, ALL on some Ministry Somchai's desk right now. Being ignored,

or the guy ABOVE him is ignoring him, or he dare not TELL the guy above him, so HE doesn't lose face.

Systemic madness IMHO, but TIT.

What are the chances and earthquake will happen here... pretty good if you watch the reports.

Will there be another huge one, not this month, but all too soon, will it be the same place and

same magnitude, not likely, could it be somewhat smaller but significant and cause a tsunami, certainly.

You need not have 30 foot waves to cause a calamity, 10 footers would suffice.

It's not just size but speed that is also an issue, and no buoy = no warning....

Solar panels and an automatic recharging system are feasible, but run into the same systemic stumbling blocks.

There's a good/reasonable/logical chance there was a design built with this type system,

but no one could make the decision, to chip in cash from their ministry to get the better model,

because they guys who understood the issue, couldn't make their overlord understand the need properly.

Or there was no way for him to get a cut of the deal, so he said why bother.

Edited by animatic

My suspicion is that Thailand was waiting for someone else to come pay for it. Perhaps the there was concern that funds taken away from the military would cut into the Mercedes Benz fund for command officers?

I heard a rumour that they're still awaiting the offer, of an all-expenses-paid trip for a delegation (plus family) to the UK, to view Duracell's production-facilities, before making a decision on where to buy a new battery. After all ... it's the Christmas-shopping season ! But I regard your Mercedes-Benz theory as being equally plausible. :)

with corrupt locals and govt officials; the tsunami funds and tsunami warnings will never come to fruition.

advance seismologic technology is shared within the neighboring countries but how effective will it be knowing

the un-qualification and unawareness of the shoreline residents? is this a waste of technology?

Coast Guard Captain " Somchai. the battery on the tsunami warning buoy is dead, run down to 7-11 and get a new one"

Somchai "What size sir?"

Captain " Not sure, so buy some of each, size AA & AAA"

Somchai " Yes sir, can I have B100"

:)

In many cases, especially along the beach road north of Soi Bangla, there are even fewer possible escape routes due to all the commercial development.

Even worse is the fact that for months Thailand has lacked an operating tsunami direct detection unit, the vital first link in conducting a successful evacuation.

WHO gives a sh1t? In a case of another Tzunami and much more deaths on Patong Roads there will be even MORE DONATIONS from foreign countries!

Street conditions specially in the Tourist areas are crackbrained and dangerous anyway. Lack of walkways, too many Tuk Tuks blocking the streets. Motobike and car rentals etc. etc..... its worst then ever before the Tsunami.

MONEY RULES and even if there is another Tsunami five years later it will be the same. Thais doesnt learn....and WHY should they? As long as no IMPORTANT BIGHEAD loose a child or another family member due to this conditions, nothing will change :)

WHO gives a sh1t? In a case of another Tzunami and much more deaths on Patong Roads there will be even MORE DONATIONS from foreign countries!

Street conditions specially in the Tourist areas are crackbrained and dangerous anyway. Lack of walkways, too many Tuk Tuks blocking the streets. Motobike and car rentals etc. etc..... its worst then ever before the Tsunami.

MONEY RULES and even if there is another Tsunami five years later it will be the same. Thais doesnt learn....and WHY should they? As long as no IMPORTANT BIGHEAD loose a child or another family member due to this conditions, nothing will change :)

I think if you remember, a certain "IMPORTANT BIGHEAD" did in fact lose a child in the last tsunami.

(No disrespect intended, just quoting original poster)

you are absolutely right ratcatcher and I remember that. But this loss was not due to rubbish moved by the wave, nor a car, wooden beachchair or a razorblade sharp rooftile. Thats what I meant. Many people died because of these things and in another Tsunami there will be even more ppl dying by the SAME things.......

Many people, Tourists and THAIS died in Khao Lak because the way to the next higher point is in some areas up to 2km away. These casualties can be prevented by a good early warning system. In Patong its impossible. Nobody can move all the cars, motobikes and everything else away in time.....

Animatic, I was actually being sarcastic. What I was trying to say is that while we may see something that can save lives, others may see it as a way to get more money. "Oh, we don't have the money to fix problem. Can you send more money? Oh, we not have money to pay man to do. Can you send more money?" I have been to other countries and have seen how one act of charity can turn into a bankroll of responsibility. Sad but true.