Maintence What To Do ? Pickup

garyk

Now that i have bought a used truck i find i do not know anything about maintence ????????

In the states i have two vehicles and i use synthetics exclusively. But here i know nothing about diesel pickups and the maintence. Also i cannot speak enough Thai to ask the techs about the maintence. On my other vehicles i change to synthetic and then every 5000 miles i change the filter and add another quart of oil. I usually go about 20,000 mi. between oil changes. With no problems.

Is that possible here with synthetic in diesel pickups? Is it a good idea or should i respect the recommended maintence here?

Also, I know nothing about diesels. Can someone tell me what i need to do for maintence to keep it in good order?

Should i have the transmission oil changed regularly? Should i change the rear end oil regularly?

What filters need changing? I noticed a big one on the intake breather. And i also saw a filter i think in the fuel line. But it was like an oil filter?

Most reading this are probily laughing. But in the states small diesels are not the norm. And as you can conclude all i know about cars is pressing on the brake for stopping and the gas for acceleration....

Thanks, in advance.

Get an owners manual for the model in question and look in the back somewhere. Should be a table of recommended service intervals. Even if in Thai you should be able to figure out the basic stuff.

Or take the vehicle to a dealer and let them have at it and do it every 5k or 10k. They will do what is normal for that model.

You must have a friend that can speak Thai so you can tell them what you want if its out of the regular work

Checking what type of engine you have would be a start. (Commonrail versus non-commonrail). There should be a specification for oil viscosity in the vehicle's manual as well. (10W-30, 15W-50, 20W-50, OW-40, SAE, API, Global, ACEA etc)

As a general rule of thumb:

Regular engine oils - 5,000 Km's between changes.

Semi Synthetic oils - 10,000 Km's between changes.

Full Synthetic oils - 12,000 - 25,000 Km's between changes.

There are some oils on the market that have been tested to 60,000 - 100,000 Km's between changes under certain driving conditions. (PTT Extra Long Drain).

Checking what type of engine you have would be a start. (Commonrail versus non-commonrail). There should be a specification for oil viscosity in the vehicle's manual as well. (10W-30, 15W-50, 20W-50, OW-40, SAE, API, Global, ACEA etc)

As a general rule of thumb:

Regular engine oils - 5,000 Km's between changes.

Semi Synthetic oils - 10,000 Km's between changes.

Full Synthetic oils - 12,000 - 25,000 Km's between changes.

There are some oils on the market that have been tested to 60,000 - 100,000 Km's between changes under certain driving conditions. (PTT Extra Long Drain).

Depends on the fuel being used. Diesel Euro 3, which almost everyone in LOS use, pollutes engine much and oil needs to be replaced more often. Diesel Euro 4 in a commonrail engine could run 20k km on good synthetic oil, but since the enginemanufactorers have to expect owners to run Euro3 or B5 all recomend max 10k km.

5k-10k no more no matter what anyone tells you!

Diesels fitted with an EGR valve should be changed sooner 5k-7k as the unburned fuel and exhaust gases are pumped into the engine oil.

These gases and other contaminations through the combustion cycle are what breakdown the oil and it's additives.

Mostly the additives are destroyed, And they are what you need.

There are only a few oil refiners and 90% of brands share the same base stock oil.

The additives are the real players in the oil. Once they are destroyed the oil in the engines is only acting as a coolent.

The coolent in the Rad only cools the top half of the engine, with the oil cooling and lubricating the bottom half.

Oil DNA is like a pigs tail, The difference detween Fossil oils and Manmade oil's are the strength and length of the coil.

Regual use of the engine slowly breaks these coils, Hence the word Oil Break down.

I have the engine oil and filter changed every 5k and have a full service every 10k. Prevention is better than cure IMHO.

Yeah, doesn't cost much.

Also, get to know your best in town big tyre place and get them to check the tracking. Only Bt200 or so and so many are out of alignment with these crap roads. Preserves your relatively expensive tyres.