How Much Tea Money Is Enough ?

sinbin

Should a 'Letter of Residence', which is provided free by the immigration office, be paid for ? If your the sort of Farang that is willing to pay 'tea money', then how much would you be willing to pay for such a letter ? Apparently the office I use has a fixed price for this letter. [/iSorry the title should read How much Tea Money..................

Edited by sinbin

If the immigration office has a fixed price for the letter then it's a case of you either pay it or you don't get the letter?

In Pattaya the price is 200Baht and no receipt is issued to claim the money back from your company.

Edited by PattayaParent

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "Letter of Residence", and when might I need one ? Aren't the stamps in my passport proof enough that I am here, and have a legal right to remain ?

You will need one for applying for a driving license, registering a car and other things.

Who says the letter of residence is provided free by the immigration office? In my experience such documents are provided always with a price tag. Why should they not be charged for? Somebody has to sit down, type the letter and get it signed by the requisite official. They require a salary, do you think their salary should be covered by Thai tax payers?

Life comes at a cost and that cost rises once you decide to live away from your home country.

The Letter of Residence is implicit in one's having a non tourist visa. Or at least it was when I registered my last vehicle here in Phuket, together with opening a bank account.

One of the things I find irksome here is the fact that so many foreigners are willing to add fuel to the perception of Thai government officials that we are all as rich as Croesus and should pay, not as much as the Man in The Street Thai, but if we are encouraging corruption in Government Departments, then do not be deluded by the fact it is only we foreigners who are required to comply.

Another thing I find extremely irritating thing are the foreigners here continually complaining that things aren't like they are back home and then simply making life more difficult for the Thais.

A case in point, is that there were a number of Letters to The Editor in the local rag here on Phuket, over a number of months, continually bleating about the 'insanitary' restaurants along the Rawai seafront.

This seafront, for those who have never visited Phuket, is most definitely not a sunbathers paradise. But, they had their way and the local Thai restaurants were given notice to relocate to a far flung corner of the beach not being visible from the road, and therefore no passing trade.

The Rawai seafront in the meantime, has simply become a strip of concrete paving inhabited by irritating boat touts.

I've been told that this decision is to be, albeit belatedly, reversed.

I believe a little forethought before asking 'how much is the tea money' and the effect on the ordinary Thai worker would be appreciated by us all.

Bizzare.

I've never paid a cent in tea money. Never been asked for it. Still get everything I need to get done without a problem. Smiles all around and I receieve the bits of paper I need.

Done it all from registering my kids birth, paying taxes, getting a burmese maid a work permit, getting DL's for me and my wife, starting up a company, registering a car, visas each year, applying for wifes' Thai nationality, traffic fines.

Not a baht, except the official (and very low) ones.

I must be doing something wrong.

The Letter of Residence is implicit in one's having a non tourist visa. Or at least it was when I registered my last vehicle here in Phuket, together with opening a bank account.

But there have been threads about the requirement for a letter of residence for certain things, like owning a motorbike, when one is on a Tourist Visa. I was surprised (how can you have a letter of residence if only a tourist?) but apparently they can be issued by some immigration offices at least even if your address is only a guesthouse.

The cost of the visa is for the visa alone and does not imply any downstream coverage for whatever purpose.

Who says the letter of residence is provided free by the immigration office? In my experience such documents are provided always with a price tag. Why should they not be charged for? Somebody has to sit down, type the letter and get it signed by the requisite official. They require a salary, do you think their salary should be covered by Thai tax payers?

Life comes at a cost and that cost rises once you decide to live away from your home country.

I say this letter is provided free. I applied for this letter at Bangkok Immigration in May 2009 and their was no charge. I do understand that the Pattaya Imm Office charges B200.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "Letter of Residence", and when might I need one ? Aren't the stamps in my passport proof enough that I am here, and have a legal right to remain ?

You will need one for applying for a driving license, registering a car and other things.

Been here 7 years, have a driving license, registered my vehicle, have a visa and work permit. No "Letter of Residence" needed. Check out the requirements before you run and go spend needless cash.

I would be happier paying a listed and recieptable fee. I understand the process needs work however I somehow doubt the need for all the process that is done and the very limited time validity other agencies place on these documents.

Bizzare.

I've never paid a cent in tea money. Never been asked for it. Still get everything I need to get done without a problem. Smiles all around and I receieve the bits of paper I need.

Done it all from registering my kids birth, paying taxes, getting a burmese maid a work permit, getting DL's for me and my wife, starting up a company, registering a car, visas each year, applying for wifes' Thai nationality, traffic fines.

your wrong doing is possessing a thai passport besides your aussie one :)

Bizzare.

your wrong doing is possessing a thai passport besides your aussie one :)

I don't think that is the problem.

I think I must look too hi-so and they don't dare ask me. Too good looking and all that.. :D

I say this letter is provided free. I applied for this letter at Bangkok Immigration in May 2009 and their was no charge. I do understand that the Pattaya Imm Office charges B200.

Okay, I stand corrected. :)

That's about par for the course for "freebies" in Pattaya. Free air, easy terms arranged. :D

So, the OP is tied up in knots over 200THB? I predict he'll have an altogether unpleasant experience during his stay in Thailand.

If you care to read all the posts you will see that for, what's supposed to be a free service, the fee varies from nothing to 550. I not once mentioned 200 Baht in my posts. I'll ask you the question being as you seem to think 200 Baht insignificant. How much are you willing to pay for a free service ? It's now up to 550 Baht. If next year it's 1,000 Baht, would you pay it ?

PS. I've never paid for this service. I've always had it free, but some immigration offices seem to be charging for it.

Edited by sinbin

I've heard that a work permit will be accepted in place of a letter of residency when one is applying for a driving license. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

From all my research that is correct.

Thanks for that. (Sorry to take so long acknowledging your help.)

I would be willing to pay THB 200 for a free service, but I draw the line at THB 201... thats just excessive !!!!

I think the point many have is that it is supposed to be free of charge. No one expects government employees to work for free, but if it is deemed to cost THB 200, then make it cost 200 baht and be done with it.

Heck... make it THB 800 and give the immigration guys a well desrved raise (an official one). The US Embassy charges 25-30 USD ( I can't remember), so anything less than that and I would be willing to pay.

I believe the OP was unhappy about the coruption, not the amount charged.

Edited by CWMcMurray