Australian Spouse & Tourist Visas

I've gotta say thanks to all those who posted and contacted me re: my last couple of posts - especially Bridge :D

I have a few extra (slightly more straight forward) questions about the Australian spouse and tourist visas. Here goes...

1) How long will the tourist visa be valid for once it has been granted?

2) From what I understand the spouse visa, once granted, is valid up until one year after the date the application was first lodged (i.e. lodged - 1 May, 2009 = valid up until the 1 May 2010). But what happens if there are unforeseen delays in the medical screening, and the visa is approved and granted about, or more than, 1 year after being lodged? Does the applicant get any extra time added to her visa's validity (if so, how long)?

3) Also, once the spouse visa has been granted, and the applicant (my gf in this case), moves to australia, will she be able to travel overseas on a provisional australian travel document (or will she have to retain her virtually worthless myanmar passport) until qualifying for an australian passport (that is, a real one :D )?

Thanks for any info again :)

I "think"? I can answer your No3.

With the Souse Visa application, the first and temporary Visa will be a 309, which will be placed in the passport used for that application.

After arrival in Australia, the 309 holder can come and go whilst the PR Visa (100) is being considered, but I imagine the only document valid for reentry at any time must be the original passport with the 309 (or later 100) attached.

Edited by fishhooks

I "think"? I can answer your No3.

With the Souse Visa application, the first and temporary Visa will be a 309, which will be placed in the passport used for that application.

After arrival in Australia, the 309 holder can come and go whilst the PR Visa (100) is being considered, but I imagine the only document valid for reentry at any time must be the original passport with the 309 (or later 100) attached.

thanks fishooks :)

so what happens if the myanmar embassy decide not to issue her with a new passport?

2) From what I understand the spouse visa, once granted, is valid up until one year after the date the application was first lodged (i.e. lodged - 1 May, 2009 = valid up until the 1 May 2010). But what happens if there are unforeseen delays in the medical screening, and the visa is approved and granted about, or more than, 1 year after being lodged? Does the applicant get any extra time added to her visa's validity (if so, how long)?

3) Also, once the spouse visa has been granted, and the applicant (my gf in this case), moves to australia, will she be able to travel overseas on a provisional australian travel document (or will she have to retain her virtually worthless myanmar passport) until qualifying for an australian passport (that is, a real one )?

1.... 3 months

2.....Not sure on this one....masybe a new application will be required or an extension granted....probably need to speak to the case Officer.....the police clearance will need to be re done as it only has a 12 month life.

3....What Fishooks said.

Hi there gburns - thanks for the info!

What I meant by the first question was this - once we have been granted a tourist visa how long will it be valid to travel to Australia on? So, say if it is granted on the 1st of May, then how long after that date will it be ok to use? The correct terminology may be 'validity date' - I'm not sure :)

What I meant by the first question was this - once we have been granted a tourist visa how long will it be valid to travel to Australia on? So, say if it is granted on the 1st of May, then how long after that date will it be ok to use? The correct terminology may be 'validity date' - I'm not sure :)

FYI - I just dug up my wifes passport and it states

"GRANTED 31 JAN 08 MUST NOT ARRIVE AFTER 30 APRIL 08. SINGLE TRAVEL"

"HOLDER PERMITTED TO REMAIN IN AUSTRALIA FOR 03 MONTHS FROM DATE OF ARRIVAL"

So it looks like you have 3 months from when its granted to enter the country.

Thats exactly what I meant as well......you have three months from the grant within which to activate the visa......the visa will activate on the day of arrival....

eg; If it is granted on 2nd May....the holder will have to arrive before the 1st of August.....if it is a 3 month visa and they arrive on the 5th of June then they have to leave the country by the 4th of September.

3) Also, once the spouse visa has been granted, and the applicant (my gf in this case), moves to australia, will she be able to travel overseas on a provisional australian travel document (or will she have to retain her virtually worthless myanmar passport) until qualifying for an australian passport (that is, a real one cool.gif )?

1- first time 676 (tourist visa) application usually results in no more than a 3mo single entry visa. you must enter Aust within 3mo of the visa's issue date so dont apply too far in advance. My Thai wife's mother wants to come to Sydney in early April but we will not bother applying until mid-Jan.

If you apply for a future 676 tourist visa then its pretty easy to get 12mo multi entry - valid for 12mo from the date of issue and the LAST ENTRY into Aust. has to be on or before the expiry date so you can get stays spanning almost 15months on this if needed (12mo +3more mo if you enter on the last day its valid). Each stay may not be for more than 3mo.

2 - Spouse visa 309 is valid for 2 years. My wife submitted application for 309 on 14/11/08, it was approved on 20/2/09 and it says must enter by 13/10/09 so I presume this is 11mo from the date we submitted the application. A mate had to wait over 15months for his fiancée's visa to be approved (he & his fiancée are both hopeless idiots who were slow to get this extra document & then that extra document, I wont bore you with the story) but the point is that they extended the date but not sure how long her had to get her on a plane once it was finally approved.

You can submit a tourist visa 676 application at the same time (or around about the same time) as the 309 application and have her come to Aust while the 309 is being processed, however she must return to get the application approved. My de-facto spouse's visa was approved only 2 days after she got back. Note if you apply for the tourist visa to "bridge the gap" make sure the TV application clearly states you have also submitted a 309 application!!

3- She can travel in & out but only on her Myanmar passport.

However if she has a residence visa (such as 309) in her Myanmar passport should be pretty easy to get a Tourist Visa for pretty much any other country - eg: the USA will see she has the right to live in an OECD country (make sure you point it out to them in a 14-point super-bold font a repeat it throughout the letter you attach to the application!!), so they will be satisfied that she has a good reason to leave the USA (once their visa is up) just like an Aussie has a good reason to leave etc...

She can only get an Aussie passport once she becomes an Australian citizen, see here: http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/how...al_app_process/ note that the 309 visa is a temporary residence visa valid for 2 years from her initial entry. She has to get the permanent (class 100) visa (a very easy - virtually automatic - and free process - DIMIA will contact you both to check you are both still together) about 2 years after her first entry on the 309 visa. Note that you will have already applied for the class 100 visa as part of the 309 application form.

Thats exactly what I meant as well......you have three months from the grant within which to activate the visa......the visa will activate on the day of arrival....

eg; If it is granted on 2nd May....the holder will have to arrive before the 1st of August.....if it is a 3 month visa and they arrive on the 5th of June then they have to leave the country by the 4th of September.

Well Fellas, I'm a bit confused. Thai G/F's visa, frirst one was single entry 676 granted 11 April 06 states "Holder must not arrive after 11 April 07". Subsequent Visas have been Multiple entry with similar wording!

Try the Aust Govt. Website for the FACTS.

All the best from PEP

Well Fellas, I'm a bit confused. Thai G/F's visa, frirst one was single entry 676 granted 11 April 06 states "Holder must not arrive after 11 April 07". Subsequent Visas have been Multiple entry with similar wording!

Try the Aust Govt. Website for the FACTS.

All the best from PEP

PEP,

I would suggest that there was an error on that 676 visa if it states a 12 month validity on the entry date. You have 3 months from the date of grant to entry. This was so for my wife and everyone else that I know of, who have been granted tourist visas, that includes other posters on this website. You are the only one that I have heard of who has had a 12 month date on the visa in the 4 to 5 years that I have been following Oz Immigration issues.

I am quite conversant with the Oz Immigration website....I have used it as a reference point on many occasions.

Cheers

Edited by gburns57au

2 - Spouse visa 309 is valid for 2 years. My wife submitted application for 309 on 14/11/08, it was approved on 20/2/09 and it says must enter by 13/10/09 so I presume this is 11mo from the date we submitted the application.

It's actually 12 months after the medical.

It is actually 12 months after the Embassy receives the first document...this could be the medical, police clearance or the application.

Edited by gburns57au

Thanks for your input guys!

I'm counting on the validity period being 3 months and, if we apply for the visa, I will write a letter asking for them to consider a longer stay period (for the spouse visa and medicals to take their course). They may not give this to us, but I assume there'll be no harm in asking. And, of course, I'm guessing their is no way out of having to leave the country to obtain the spouse visa.

As for the 3rd question - I'm assuming if something happens to my gf's original passport (ie not renewed at the Myanmar embassy) once we are in Australia and still living together, then I'm assuming DIAC will be understanding. I can see that, in this instance however, international travel may be a problem.

Also - and here's another timing question - is it true that the spouse visa applicant is eligible for Australian citizenship 4 years after the application was lodged, assuming they have been living in Australian for most of time prior to their citizenship application? Or, does the timer count down from the moment they actually enter Australia (which makes more sense)?

Thanks again :)

Edited by myauq

I'm counting on the validity period being 3 months and, if we apply for the visa, I will write a letter asking for them to consider a longer stay period (for the spouse visa and medicals to take their course). They may not give this to us, but I assume there'll be no harm in asking. And, of course, I'm guessing their is no way out of having to leave the country to obtain the spouse visa.

As for the 3rd question - I'm assuming if something happens to my gf's original passport (ie not renewed at the Myanmar embassy) once we are in Australia and still living together, then I'm assuming DIAC will be understanding. I can see that, in this instance however, international travel may be a problem.

Also - and here's another timing question - is it true that the spouse visa applicant is eligible for Australian citizenship 4 years after the application was lodged, assuming they have been living in Australian for most of time prior to their citizenship application? Or, does the timer count down from the moment they actually enter Australia (which makes more sense)?

G'day mate.

you can ask for a longer stay but remember, you're applying

for a tourist visa. IMHO, you're better off not asking as it

could provide some doubt to an officer as to your intentions

not to return on time.

DIAC will not understand that at all. It's up to her

to have a valid passport and they won't respond too

kindly if they're dicked around with an expired passport.

Get it sorted first.

She has to obtain her PR first which will be at least

2 years away. Citizenship all up will be about 4/5 years

away I'd imagine but have a look at the linf provided in

an earlier thread. This is why it's imperative that she

has a valid travel document.

Also, as previously stated, she has to be offshore for

the grant.

Regards

Will

G,day All,

Another way of doing the Application. As we did. Firstly , marry your lady

We applied for a tourist visa in BKK. Was granted and we travelled to Melbourne Sept. 2007 (I was in hospital and we requested an extention of stay because of my circumstances).We then submitted an Application for a spouse visa Jan 3rd 2008.

My wife has just recieved her her paper work to finalise the permanent residency requirements. So thats 23 months since we submitted the Spouse visa Application.

I just checked Kessy,s Thai passport, and the visa class is "820" . May be thats the number for Applications submitted in Australia?

Any how, wishing you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do.Hope everything works out for the best,

cheers,

lesdunbar

How much time has she got on her Myanamar passport??.....she most likely wont get a visa to Oz if it less than 6 months......

G,day All,

Another way of doing the Application. As we did. Firstly , marry your lady

We applied for a tourist visa in BKK. Was granted and we travelled to Melbourne Sept. 2007 (I was in hospital and we requested an extention of stay because of my circumstances).We then submitted an Application for a spouse visa Jan 3rd 2008.

My wife has just recieved her her paper work to finalise the permanent residency requirements. So thats 23 months since we submitted the Spouse visa Application.

I just checked Kessy,s Thai passport, and the visa class is "820" . May be thats the number for Applications submitted in Australia?

Any how, wishing you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do.Hope everything works out for the best,

cheers,

lesdunbar

The 820 visa is for a temporary resident visa applied for in Oz.....

Usually a tourist visa will have a "no further stay" clause on the visa.....I take it that was removed on the grant of the extension...otherwise she wouldnt be able to be granted a more substantive visa.

Not usually the way to go but it worked for you because of your health.....Usually wouldnt work for just anyone....you need to show extenuating circumstances to be granted an extension over the 676 tourist visa.

How much time has she got on her Myanamar passport??.....she most likely wont get a visa to Oz if it less than 6 months......

she's got well over 12 months left on her passport, so that *should* be enough time to get to australia. she has been on tb medications for almost 2 months so far, so it could be another 4-6 months before we can a decision on that.

it would be nice to get a time-frame on all this then we could plan our short term futures more carefully.

for instance, our panel doctor gave us the all clear a few months ago, and based on that advice she applied for a tourist visa which effectively cancelled her education visa. this has been very costly, and if we have to renew the myanmar passport that will cost up to 10,000 baht in tax (!), and it may include a possible trip back to yangon, then add to that another 6 months of waiting around bribing people to get back out again .... arrgghhhh!

if the embassy could tell us how long all this may take then i could time the tourist visa/visit with more care, and even avoid it altogether, depending on the likely grant date for the spouse visa :D

she's got well over 12 months left on her passport,

Either way, she's still going to need to get her passport renewed.

I know it sounds like a pain in the arse but just do it.

Regards

Will

Edited by 7by7
Moved reply out of quote. so it can be more easily found and read. Also removed most of quote to leave just those parts relevant to the reply.

PEP,

I would suggest that there was an error on that 676 visa if it states a 12 month validity on the entry date. You have 3 months from the date of grant to entry. This was so for my wife and everyone else that I know of, who have been granted tourist visas, that includes other posters on this website. You are the only one that I have heard of who has had a 12 month date on the visa in the 4 to 5 years that I have been following Oz Immigration issues.

I am quite conversant with the Oz Immigration website....I have used it as a reference point on many occasions.

Cheers

Now it's two! My wife obtained her 676 Visitor Visa (for Tourist or other) in January 2009 after we married at the Amphur office in Samut Prakan. The application form gave us the option of a single entry 3 month visa or a multiple entry 12 month visa. We ticked the latter and that's what she got. It states "must not arrive after 19 January 2010. Valid for three months from the date of each entry". We've been back to Thailand three times this year after staying in Australia for up to three months from date of each return into Australia. Our final three months is up in March. We intend to apply for a Spouse Visa on our next visit and wait for approval before returning to Australia. Obviously if our first arrival had been not until just before January 19 2010 she would have been allowed just the one entry for three months from date of arrival.

Merry Xmas

Now it's two! My wife obtained her 676 Visitor Visa (for Tourist or other) in January 2009 after we married at the Amphur office in Samut Prakan. The application form gave us the option of a single entry 3 month visa or a multiple entry 12 month visa. We ticked the latter and that's what she got. It states "must not arrive after 19 January 2010. Valid for three months from the date of each entry". We've been back to Thailand three times this year after staying in Australia for up to three months from date of each return into Australia. Our final three months is up in March. We intend to apply for a Spouse Visa on our next visit and wait for approval before returning to Australia. Obviously if our first arrival had been not until just before January 19 2010 she would have been allowed just the one entry for three months from date of arrival.

Merry Xmas

PEP was talking about a single entry 676 visa....not a 676 12 month multi entry visa.

So it is still one :)

Edited by gburns57au

PEP was talking about a single entry 676 visa....not a 676 12 month multi entry visa.

So it is still one :)

You obviously know PEP or can read his mind. He didn't say what he was "talking" about at all. It's the one visa - 676 and "they" (immigration) decide whether they'll allow longer than 3 months! The reply would mislead many as you also are doing - two is probably 20,000 or more if you think about it. Two Merry Xmas's and one raspberry.

You obviously know PEP or can read his mind. He didn't say what he was "talking" about at all. It's the one visa - 676 and "they" (immigration) decide whether they'll allow longer than 3 months! The reply would mislead many as you also are doing - two is probably 20,000 or more if you think about it. Two Merry Xmas's and one raspberry.

I didnt need to read his mind......I read his post.....And I quote

The relevent part is in blue.

I dont think I have misled anyone.......you have 3 months from the date of grant of a sub class 676 single entry visa within which to enter the country or the visa will be made invalid....that is fact.

There have been cases of extensions being given in extenuating circumstances.

Two Raspberries and a Happy New Beer to you

Edited by gburns57au

I can confirm that my partners latest 12 months tourist visa to Australia has a validity period of 12 months from time of issue. ie must not enter Australia later than 12 months from day of visa issue.

It is also her third tourtist visa in the last two years two of which were for twelve months and the first one for three months. So don't believe the stories that maintain you cannot get more than two tourist visas.

It depends on the individual application, the circumstances of the applicant & the granting officer.

If you make a very thorough application & don't have to be contacted for followups & the applicant has very good reasons to return; then you may be granted a 12month validity, multiple entry, ... etc. If however the application is minimal & the applicant has few binding ties; then the visa granted (if one is granted at all) will be for a single entry with a 3 month validity & no extensions.

For the spouse visa application. The important thing to look for is the presence or absence of the 8503 (no extensions) clause. If the applicant has 8503 on their current visa they must exit Australia before making a new application & will need to be outside Australia for the decision. It is very likely you will see 8503 on a visitor visa from SE Asia. But it is possible for a visitor visa to be granted that does not have that clause.

Processing times vary and are never certain. Live with it & plan on only having a 3 month stay the first time & having the lady go back for the external application of the 2 yr visa. You can apply for a secondary visitor visa if you think the circumstances warrant. As stated earlier, a second visitor visa is much more likely to be granted better conditions. Since you have proven that the applicant will abide by Australian law & immigration visa requirements. Granted visitor visa's look good on partner visa applications.

What you are trying to do is build up a history of contact & time together with your partner. The more quality evidence you have the better. The immigration web site acknowledges this. Each piece you can provide helps. Think on this, it will aid you in your dealings with immigration.

Note. I do not work for immigration nor am I a qualified / registered migration agent.

It depends on the individual application, the circumstances of the applicant & the granting officer.

If you make a very thorough application & don't have to be contacted for followups & the applicant has very good reasons to return; then you may be granted a 12month validity, multiple entry, ... etc. If however the application is minimal & the applicant has few binding ties; then the visa granted (if one is granted at all) will be for a single entry with a 3 month validity & no extensions.

For the spouse visa application. The important thing to look for is the presence or absence of the 8503 (no extensions) clause. If the applicant has 8503 on their current visa they must exit Australia before making a new application & will need to be outside Australia for the decision. It is very likely you will see 8503 on a visitor visa from SE Asia. But it is possible for a visitor visa to be granted that does not have that clause.

Processing times vary and are never certain. Live with it & plan on only having a 3 month stay the first time & having the lady go back for the external application of the 2 yr visa. You can apply for a secondary visitor visa if you think the circumstances warrant. As stated earlier, a second visitor visa is much more likely to be granted better conditions. Since you have proven that the applicant will abide by Australian law & immigration visa requirements. Granted visitor visa's look good on partner visa applications.

What you are trying to do is build up a history of contact & time together with your partner. The more quality evidence you have the better. The immigration web site acknowledges this. Each piece you can provide helps. Think on this, it will aid you in your dealings with immigration.

Note. I do not work for immigration nor am I a qualified / registered migration agent.

Good post - well put.

I dont think it is that simple either.....

I have seen very strong applications applying for 12 month visas result in 3 month single entry.

I have seen some not so strong applications get a 12 month visa on the first go.

The goalposts seem to be in constant movement sometimes.

• 1 month later...

I would like to ask a little advice, I met my girlfriend nearly two years ago, we are getting married in a few weeks time, she has been to Australia on two three month visas over the last 14 months, I was going to apply for a spousal visa, but now I am getting a little stressed about the spousal visa not getting approved $1700au is a whack of money to piss up against the wall if not successfull, she is of good character we are both similar age in our 30's and we have been together for 2 years, but we have spent a fair bit of time apart due to work. What is everyones thoughts on the best way to go here.

On another note,

I understand and support strong visa regulations but do they know how stressfull it is on a couple to go through this stuff.

Edited by rick75