True 3g In Cm Coming Soon?

clokwise

I live in CM, using True, and accidentally turned on the 3G function on my iphone 3gs today and was surprised to see the "3G" icon appear. Normally I only see that in Bangkok.

According to SBSettings I have an IP address, however I could not get any data. When I switched off 3G and fell back to "E"dge I could get data again.

Perhaps they're preparing the local network for imminent 3G launch. Hope so!!

The 3G switched off last night, not long after I posted my message here, and has yet to appear again today. I'd guess they must be testing the system.

I've got the unlimited data plan with True so this will be sweet to have 3G in CM!

True 3G in Bangkok has proven to be far faster and more stable than my True 8Mb ADSL in CM, so I may want to tether my notebook full time in CM, maybe even drop the ADSL altogether.

I just looked at the BBC news website this morning and found this little item.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8412035.stm :)

It's good to blaze a trail there, 4G is definitely the way to go. But even the beeb article mentions that there won't be any phones ready for the launch, so it's a bit early really.

Guess I have to switch to True soon, anyone know if I need a work permit or stuff like that? If so I'll just do it in the wifes name...

• 3 weeks later...