Good Hardware Store Needed In Chiang Mai

westbounder

Nut Screws Washers and Bolts? :)

If you want somewhere in town, then Sri Donchai Rd has about 10 stores selling that kind of stuff, on the section from the moat to Suriwong Book Shop. Alternatively there is a big store on Charoen Muang Rd, just 100 metres past the Nawarat Bridge on the left-hand side, heading towards the railway station. Plenty of other small DIY stores there too.

If you want somewhere in town, then Sri Donchai Rd has about 10 stores selling that kind of stuff, on the section from the moat to Suriwong Book Shop. Alternatively there is a big store on Charoen Muang Rd, just 100 metres past the Nawarat Bridge on the left-hand side, heading towards the railway station. Plenty of other small DIY stores there too.

That's not a girlie hardware store - a great selection of bolts and fastenings of almost every kind!

That's not a girlie hardware store - a great selection of bolts and fastenings of almost every kind!

I remember using that store when I was fitting out the pub. I remember wandering around it looking for the right door fittings and then I was fascinated by the realisation that I had ended up just like my dad - admiring a well made pair of pliers, or a good pair of brass hinges. Like most guys I detest shopping but drop me off in a hardware store and I could be entertained for hours. Sad, but true. :D

Global House is very good for hardware in general. They also have a great selection. Home Pro would be similar to Ace Hardware - just O.K. quality and a fair selection. But if you need a particular nut, bolt, washer, hinge or metal screw, then you will need to go to one of the places that the others recommended - machine shops. The selection of these items is very limited at the big home shops.

I remember wandering around it looking for the right door fittings and then I was fascinated by the realisation that I had ended up just like my dad - admiring a well made pair of pliers, or a good pair of brass hinges. Like most guys I detest shopping but drop me off in a hardware store and I could be entertained for hours. Sad, but true. :)

My father was always working on engines and fixing stuff around the house. He was so good at it that I felt that I was getting in his way when I tried to help, so I did not bother.

I still have no interest at all in fixing things and the only type of shop that holds my interest for hours is music or books. :D

I remember using that store when I was fitting out the pub. I remember wandering around it looking for the right door fittings and then I was fascinated by the realisation that I had ended up just like my dad - admiring a well made pair of pliers, or a good pair of brass hinges. Like most guys I detest shopping but drop me off in a hardware store and I could be entertained for hours. Sad, but true. :D

Yes and they even have ATM machines on site to make sure you have enough cash.

i find Global alot cheaper for most items

Im with you KH, in that i find hardware stores like a candy store. We have a particular store in nz called Mitre 10 Mega, in which you can just about find anything that has anything to do with a house, whether it be building or what you put inside one there.

600-Mitre%2010%20Mega%20aerial%20view.jpg

albany-mega-2.jpg

Global House is very good for hardware in general. They also have a great selection. Home Pro would be similar to Ace Hardware - just O.K. quality and a fair selection. But if you need a particular nut, bolt, washer, hinge or metal screw, then you will need to go to one of the places that the others recommended - machine shops. The selection of these items is very limited at the big home shops.

Home Mall, similar to Global House, is a new contractor oriented H/W store on the outer ring road (Hwy 121) less than 1 km west of Hwy 1001 going to Mae Jo. Been open a few months; great location for those of us up north. It is a big building; can't miss it. And a large sign is sticking up visible from the 121/1001 intersection as you look west.

Edited by noise

Home Mall, similar to Global House, is a new contractor oriented H/W store on the outer ring road (Hwy 121) less than 1 km west of Hwy 1001 going to Mae Jo. Been open a few months; great location for those of us up north. It is a big building; can't miss it. And a large sign is sticking up visible from the 121/1001 intersection as you look west.

That place is a big disappointment in my opinion. I live right near there but won't waste my time going there again. They seem to not stock the most basic and commonly used electrical or plumbing parts. I've been there 4 times. All 4 times I was the only customer in there at the time and I would estimate that 1/3 of the staff was sleeping on the job. I don't think they will last too long. At least at Home Pro (Hang Dong location being better stocked), you can usually find what you need for a repair. But for anything serious...Global House.

That place is a big disappointment in my opinion. I live right near there but won't waste my time going there again. They seem to not stock the most basic and commonly used electrical or plumbing parts. I've been there 4 times. All 4 times I was the only customer in there at the time and I would estimate that 1/3 of the staff was sleeping on the job. I don't think they will last too long. At least at Home Pro (Hang Dong location being better stocked), you can usually find what you need for a repair. But for anything serious...Global House.

I tottally agree with you on the staff being laid about, but ive always found what I needed when Ive been in there. Admittedly its only been for things like paint etc....