How's Your High Tourist Season Shaping Up?

sbk

Patong doesn't look that busy at all, I don't see the beach being exactly over run with sunbathers and neither is Bangla Road or Jungceylon - as a casual observer I would have to guess Phuket is much quieter than a year ago. Maybe another indicator is that yesterday we were able to buy plane tickets from Phuket/Bangkok, Bangkok/Sukhothai and Chiang Mai/Phuket at super cheap prices, for travel next week, purchased them at low season prices which is very unusual.

At my local beach here in northern Phuket, most businesses servicing the tourist industry are experiencing a drop in tourist numbers. Coupled with the fact that there are been increases in the number of resorts, restaurants, taxis, massage ladies, bars etc.,

Consequently a smaller pool of tourist dollars is now available to a larger pool of businesses ! It doesn't bode well in some cases, but servicing the tourist trade is a bit like farming, and there will always be highs & lows, I just hope that we are not in for an Aussie drought of 7 years or so. :)

Samui will be full up in a couple of weeks. Sorry to the "gloom merchants" but our high season judging by what i have been hearing is looks like it will be very good :)

Busy during the whole two weeks of New Years - that's a truly amazing short high season.

A mate of mine just spent the last few days there visiting hoteliers who paint a different story besides the dates you mention.

Samui will be full up in a couple of weeks. Sorry to the "gloom merchants" but our high season judging by what i have been hearing is looks like it will be very good :D

Busy during the whole two weeks of New Years - that's a truly amazing short high season.

A mate of mine just spent the last few days there visiting hoteliers who paint a different story besides the dates you mention.

We will be busy until mid April atleast. Don't know who your friend has been talking to but everyone i know is booked and upbeat about things. Oh, and the weathers great

I also said "full up IN a couple of weeks" not "full up FOR a couple of weeks" :)

Samui will be full up in a couple of weeks. Sorry to the "gloom merchants" but our high season judging by what i have been hearing is looks like it will be very good :D

We will be busy until mid April atleast. Don't know who your friend has been talking to but everyone i know is booked and upbeat about things. Oh, and the weathers great

I also said "full up IN a couple of weeks" not "full up FOR a couple of weeks" :)

Glad to hear it mate.

Samui will be full up in a couple of weeks. Sorry to the "gloom merchants" but our high season judging by what i have been hearing is looks like it will be very good :)

"Gloom" some incredible goods to trade in.... some may even find a profit there in!

Here in Khao Lak there are definitely less people around than last high season. My favourite information sources are like staff manning the delivery trucks for soft drinks, ice cubes, drinking water etc. They are more likely to tell the plain truth than other hotel owners, and restaurant, diving shop and so on owners, who often tend to give too rosy a picture about how their businesses are going.

About this particular period in December I should add that it is always a bit quiet: people who are going to celebrate Xmas/New Year at home are leaving, and those who want to celebrate it here didn't arrive yet.

Edited by keestha

I know a lot of business people in Chiang Mai and have yet to meet one (other than the original Duke's location) that are not at least 30% down from other years during high season. Even the Duke's Night Bazzar location is not doing well.

I feel blessed that I have been able to "tread water' for so long and have kept most of my stores going for better days. So many people have lost their jobs all together.

I don't expect "high season" to last much past January as there are already posters whining about pollution during the nicest part of the year. The last few years are well known for smoky days during the beginning of hot season from hill tribes clearing the hills for farming in their traditional way.

They have been doing this for centuries. It is almost impossible to change.

Pattaya seems pretty dead comparing to 2006-2007 08 & 09 there seems to be a lot more Thais than forefingers in town. Bye the way SBK Love the new avatar! Bang Sare is it's usual countryish deadness. It makes for very peaceful surroundings. I like it. Hopefully Koh Chang is bangin when we go on Vacation.