Door Trim In Chiang Mai?

grin

The door frames in every place I've lived here have door frames that butt up to the concrete walls. In between there is about a quarter inch groove that is variously painted the same color as the frame or the wall or (or both) or left unpainted altogether. I am thinking of putting door trim on the door frames that would overlap about a half inch of the wall and cover the groove next to the frame.

I've been looking at the typical places that sell wood and laminates in Chiang Mai and can't find anything reasonable to use for such door trim. Some places will rip baseboard that they sell down to 2.5 inches which would work but I have not seem any styles that I like. I would even consider laminate if I could find something.

Has anyone done anything like this? Or know a builder who has done a professional job of something like this?

Any suggestions on how to cover this gap?

I've been to Global House, Home Pro, Home Mall, Home Mart, Nopadol Panich, Suksawat, Thaweephan and a couple of shops on the road to Hang Dong.

Any other places to try?

Thanks - Grin

Yes, I have seen this done in a number of homes. Find a carpenter first because nothing is going to happen without one.

He will help you with the wood and find you a finisher/painter. He also should be able to cut the molding but may have a limited selection of router blades.

Suksawat and Thawiiphan custom cut moldings so it is possible to get styles they do not have on display, another like them to check would be Wood World, on the second ring road between the canal and the Hang Dong road, south side. You need to take a drawing of what shape you want and if the front desk says they can not do it, ask to speak to the shop foreman so you can work out what is possible. Often he can do much more than the front desk knows. The foreman can cut a piece for your approval, when he gets what you like, have him cut that piece in half so you both have one to verify the delivered wood. That is a whole lot of effort because the foreman and shops are not at the in town sales offices.

Wood World employs a carpenter who does good installation but may be expensive. Suksawat, Khun Jaruwan, probably could give you several names of carpenters but you would have to check their quality carefully.

What you want to do could be a bit tricky because the walls may not be uniformly flush with the door frames.

Thanks for the Wood World tip. I will check them out today. It seems like they may be near the new pizza place mentioned on another thread so maybe I can grab a couple of slices while I'm in the area.

My doors are 220 cm tall and I don't want joints in the trim so I need pieces at least 230 cm long. I got the impression at Suksawat that they could only deliver 2 m pieces. Thaweephan said they could do 2.5 m pieces but they only offered a rounded or beveled edge. I think I need to find a good carpenter that is familiar with these places and knows exactly what they can deliver.

I can think of two things to make installation easier. One is to make the trim fairly thin (1 cm ?) so it is more flexible. The other is to cut a 2 mm deep groove on the back of the trim that is fairly wide (goes to within 1 cm of each edge). This would help in covering the edge where the wall and frame surfaces are not flush. I don't want a gap between the trim and the frame but can deal with a gap between the trim and the wall with paintable caulk.

Another task is to try and make the finish of the trim match the doors which have a veneer similar to walnut. Hopefully I can find a carpenter that is good with wood stains or knows someone who is.

Can anyone recommend a good carpenter or finishing person in the Chiang Mai area?

Grin