Xmas Day Dinner

lorddaverichards

Hello was wandering if you guys could help me out advice etc.

My missus is working Xmas day but we would like to go out for a nice traditional xmas dinner in the evening. My 1st question is does anyone know if there are places north of Bangkok that do traditional dinners in the evening ( Ploenchit, Chaengwttana, Rangsit area ) I suspect not as i have been living north of Thailand for some time and dont know of any such places but i thought i would ask. My GF works in Laksi so if possible like somewhere local

If not Then

2. In Bangkok looked at the thread last year and many places were suggested Bullys, Crossbar Hanrahans and Soi 8 ( I dont really want to go to a hotel - dont really like and prefer the atmosphere of pubs to hotels ) can anyone reccomend places they went last year which would be suitable.value for money menues costs etc . Soi 8 seems to be the most reasonable, but the last time I was in there people were smoking inside and not particulary pleasant when you want to enjoy a good hearty meal - maybe that has changed.

many thanks in advance

Also one more question sorry is there a tradition here in Thailand amongst the expat community to go horse racing on Boxing day ? something i always did back home or go to football / rugby match whichever took my fancy any info would be appreciated

Regards

dave

I was planning on going to the Londoner, but they've raised their price by 400 Baht since their Thanksgiving buffet (with what sounds like the same spread).

Most of the places listed in the recent Thanksgiving threads should also be having Xmas dinner, that might be a good place to look.

No, they have raised it to 1290 Baht plus VAT by calling it Christmas Dinner, seems to be the regular Sunday roast for an extra 890 Baht, maybe slightly enhanced.

I was planning on going to the Londoner, but they've raised their price by 400 Baht since their Thanksgiving buffet (with what sounds like the same spread).

Most of the places listed in the recent Thanksgiving threads should also be having Xmas dinner, that might be a good place to look.

No, they have raised it to 1290 Baht plus VAT by calling it Christmas Dinner, seems to be the regular Sunday roast for an extra 890 Baht, maybe slightly enhanced.

I saw something about Xmas dinner at Soi 8 Bar for 595 Baht I believe.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. Their Thanksgiving buffet was 899 baht, so this Xmas buffet is 400 baht more than the Thanksgiving one. It sounds like it will have the same foods that they offered at Thanksgiving, so I was questioning the logic of charging 400 baht more for a different occasion. (not really fair)

Edited by Meridian007

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. Their Thanksgiving buffet was 899 baht, so this Xmas buffet is 400 baht more than the Thanksgiving one. It sounds like it will have the same foods that they offered at Thanksgiving, so I was questioning the logic of charging 400 baht more for a different occasion. (not really fair)

Easy, supply and demand. Thanksgiving is mostly for North Americans well Xmas is celebrated by many more. (That's my excuse and I am sticking to it) :)

Ah I understand now, think I will be a party pooper and cheap charlie and go on Sunday for 470 Baht.

Maybe not tops for ambiance, but FOODLAND; (I'm sure about Suk. soi 16 & Soi 5 locations, not sure about others.) puts on a modest X-mas dinner for under B300. Last year they ran out of food around 5pm at soi 16.

Thanks, but I can think that with their diverse clientele Took La Dee on Soi 5 is last place I would want to have my Christmas Dinner - even if it was free.

Soi 16 is much better IMO.

Taipan Hotel has a Christmas Eve spread for 500 baht ++. Its not the Oriental Hotel but its a good spread for the price. According to the menu, it includes shrimp cocktail, salmon with obster such, roasted duck with baked beans, New Zealand Roast Beef, roast turkey with stuff and pudding. The price for Christmas lunch is even better--350 baht++ with a menu including bbq ham, salmon, roast turkey and an assortment of other goodies. Sorry, no Christmas dinner scheduled but if since the Taipan is located a block away from Soi Cowboy, you can have a buffet of Christmas Santa's helpers for a late snack!!!

Edited by mauiguy90