2 Taiwanese Men, 4 Thais Arrested On Kidnapping Charges

webfact

2 Taiwanese men, 4 Thais arrested on kidnapping charges

Two Taiwanese men and four Thai accomplices were arrested for allegedly kidnapping a Taiwanese textile businessman and his family members to get a ransom worth Bt30 million.

Police arrested the suspects along with a desktop computer, two computer notebooks, a DVD player, Bt10,000 cash, four luggage, 10 cell phones and some gambling tools, said Central Investigation Bureau chief Tha-ngai Prasajaksatru.

They rescued the businessman Teng Li Wei, 35, from a house in Muang Samut Prakan and rescued the man's mother Yuan I-ing, 58, his daughter Teng Yu Chieh, 9, and his son Teng Yu Ting, 7, from another house in Bangkok's Suan Luang district.

The businessman's father had filed a police complaint on December 4 that Teng Li Wei, his wife Hsu Yu Fen, 36, his two children and his mother visited Thailand for the first time on November 24 and were kidnapped for a ransom worth Bt30 million, Tha-ngai said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/12/14

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Glad that they're safe of course!

And with nearly (97%) all of the news that is ever reported in either of the two "English language" newspapers in this country, there is usually something else that needs to answered after reading any "news story".

So, I gotta ask, exactly what are "gambling tools". What did they find? A deck of cards? A pair of dice? A croupier? A craps table? Slot machines?

I know of other instances very similar to this one which was never reported to the police or media, just money paid to kidnappers. Makes me wonder..is there a way for a foreigner to legally carry a firearm in Thailand?

NO, not as far as I know. But your wife can have one :) ....but its very difficult for her to carry it outside the house, even a Thai need a lot of paperwork for that....and some connections I guess. And for sure, if YOU shoot somebody with that gun you go to jail, even if he break in your house, so dont shoot if your wife isnt around :D

I know of other instances very similar to this one which was never reported to the police or media, just money paid to kidnappers. Makes me wonder..is there a way for a foreigner to legally carry a firearm in Thailand?

NO, not as far as I know. But your wife can have one :) ....but its very difficult for her to carry it outside the house, even a Thai need a lot of paperwork for that....and some connections I guess. And for sure, if YOU shoot somebody with that gun you go to jail, even if he break in your house, so dont shoot if your wife isnt around :D

Well if I ever did, it would be a "him or me" situation. Or to protect a loved one. Just be sure to hide the body well and be on the next plane home.

I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.

NO, not as far as I know. But your wife can have one :D ....but its very difficult for her to carry it outside the house, even a Thai need a lot of paperwork for that....and some connections I guess. And for sure, if YOU shoot somebody with that gun you go to jail, even if he break in your house, so dont shoot if your wife isnt around :D

Well if I ever did, it would be a "him or me" situation. Or to protect a loved one. Just be sure to hide the body well and be on the next plane home.

True, but if you possess a weapon as a foreigner and not having a thaiwife or other citizen which owns it you make yourself already liable to prosecution and I bet, the last thing you want is Bangkok Hilton.

So IF something happends, make sure the THAI has used the gun, and nobody sees you with it. Trust me, the BiB dont like burglars too but they are frustrated like some other police all around the world. They catch them and after 3-6month the scumbags are free to go and WORK again.

Once a police men told me if I ever catch a burglar I can cut him in pieces with razorblades but please DONT KILL him, hereafter they have no other chance as to lock you up.

BTW I dont appriciate if in my homecountry every foreigner can carry a gun too :)

THAN carried by 6! Not THEN carried by 6