Baby Born In Thailand

lanky

My longterm girlfriend future wife plan to have a baby born early next year in chiangmai when the baby is born in a thai hospital can the baby have dual nationality or only thai citizenship also as I am the legal father may I apply for non immigration O visa so i can stay for one year in chiangmai with 90 days allowable departure, what are the best options can this type of visa be processed in thailand or in your home country

If you are not Thai, the baby will only have Thai nationality if the mother is Thai. If the child can have dual nationality depends on your nationality. Thai law allows it, so it comes down on the law of your own country.

Since you are not married yet, you will need to legalize the child first. Under Thai law that is done by registering the birth of the child at the amphur by you yourself. If anybody else registers the child, including the hospital, you will not be the legal father!

If you are the legal father of the child, you can get a non-O visa and extensions of stay based on having a Thai child. The visa can be obtained from a neighboring country. Requirements for the extension are an income of 40,000 a month or 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for 2 months. Some immigration offices seem to require that you hold sole custody over the child. Don't know about CM-immigration.

if you are from the uk, the following applies, when our son was born nearly 5 yrs ago , we registered him as thai, and uk, it's recommended that the uk citizenship is done within the first 2 yrs from birth, it makes life easier apparently, our son now holds both passports, maybe at some age he will have to declare which nationality he prefers , and that of course will depend on a lot of circumstances, hope this helps.

A timely topic for me, A UK citizen and hitherto part-time resident, as my Thai daughter was born in Ubonrak hospital 48 hours ago. We intend to continue to live in Thailand at least for the first few years.

Some clarification to the above postings would be very useful:

"If you're a UK-citizen, it helps mightily with the paperwork, if you register the birth with the local consulate within a year of birth."

I presume you mean the UK consulate local to Thailand, Ricardo? - which for me would be the UK embassy in Bangkok? I'm not aware of any UK consulates in Isaan.

"if you are from the uk, the following applies, when our son was born nearly 5 yrs ago , we registered him as thai, and uk, it's recommended that the uk citizenship is done within the first 2 yrs from birth, it makes life easier apparently, our son now holds both passports, maybe at some age he will have to declare which nationality he prefers , and that of course will depend on a lot of circumstances, hope this helps".

Registered him where Doppa? Are you talking about a different registration process from the birth registration that the OP, and others talk about or are you saying that one should register the birth at 'the local consulate' (to pick-up Ricardo's posting) as being both a Thai and UK baby; then start some process of citizenship later. If the baby continues to live with us in Thailand are you saying that the baby can nonetheless apply for UK citizenship?

Sorry if I am being thick.

Local British-consulate in Chiang Mai, since the OP posted in the Chiang Mai forum.

Our own children were born in the UK, and got UK birth-certificates immediately and later passports, but we also had to register them with the Thai Embassy in London, to get Thai birth-certificates and then Thai passports. So they're dual-nationality, which is quite OK with the authorities, in both countries. They can live and eventually work in either country, without any visa-problems, for example.

But a British friend had a daughter born locally here, a couple of years ago, and was told by the British consulate that he should register her birth with them early-on, in order to establish her claim to UK nationality, as well as the usual Thai birth-certificate process. I understood from helping him with the paperwork at the time, that a later registration & claim should still also work, but would be more involved with the paperwork.

Generally it helps to do this sort of thing while both parents are still around and alive and able to sign-off on paperwork !

A timely topic for me, A UK citizen and hitherto part-time resident, as my Thai daughter was born in Ubonrak hospital 48 hours ago. We intend to continue to live in Thailand at least for the first few years.

Some clarification to the above postings would be very useful:

"If you're a UK-citizen, it helps mightily with the paperwork, if you register the birth with the local consulate within a year of birth."

I presume you mean the UK consulate local to Thailand, Ricardo? - which for me would be the UK embassy in Bangkok? I'm not aware of any UK consulates in Isaan.

"if you are from the uk, the following applies, when our son was born nearly 5 yrs ago , we registered him as thai, and uk, it's recommended that the uk citizenship is done within the first 2 yrs from birth, it makes life easier apparently, our son now holds both passports, maybe at some age he will have to declare which nationality he prefers , and that of course will depend on a lot of circumstances, hope this helps".

Registered him where Doppa? Are you talking about a different registration process from the birth registration that the OP, and others talk about or are you saying that one should register the birth at 'the local consulate' (to pick-up Ricardo's posting) as being both a Thai and UK baby; then start some process of citizenship later. If the baby continues to live with us in Thailand are you saying that the baby can nonetheless apply for UK citizenship?

Sorry if I am being thick.

I'm from the uk and my wife is thai. our son was born 2 years ago here in chiang mai. At the hospital we signed and they signed a form saying basically date, time, where, names of parents etc. We then took this to the ampur office for registration. Then I went to British consul in cm (guess bkk embassy b fine too though) and asked them next step. They gave me 2 forms to fill out, one for birth registration and another for british passport, basically requiring your citizen info and sons official detail, all quite strait forward. I gave them both in at the same time with fees and a few weeks later his passport etc arrived. Not difficult at all.

We show his thai passport for immigration here and british when arriving uk.

I was on a non imm "o" visa before my son was born or even married, applied to the thai consul hull, no evedidence, just said "getting married and starting a familly" + "love thailand", pay the ton an job done, nice an easy. No need for proof of moneys or anything either.

Any one know if its possable to extend a one year visa a bit or renew here or in nieghbouring country with out having to show 40k per month or 400,000 in bank? (My visa expires just after our next son is due so less time away the better) cheers