How Many Old Hippies Are There On The Cm Forum

anonymouse

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the greatest bad ever to influence most others, the beatles, untouchable then, untouchable now, and those who disagree get ye boxing gloves on :D

A very good pop band with little to say.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one, I hope someday you will join us, and the world will live as one.

Having just won the bet with myself, I have removed 10 baht from my right pocket and placed it in my left pocket. :)

Edited by lannarebirth

I find myself asking what happened to the "Age of Aquarius" the earth must have hit a bump in the cosmic highway.

Peace,love and brotherhood have been replaced by religious fanatics and money grubbers. " O" well lets have another round barkeep !

We use to carry bags of dope, now as we age we carry bags of medication and vitamins.

REM, The Smiths, The Cure, New Order, Joy Division, Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Husker Du, X, and lots more.

I would say that there was actually more good music in the 80s than the 60s, but no one as GREAT as the Beatles and Stones.

absolutely, and can also include depeche mode, the fall, pixies, specials, happy mondays, stone roses, beastie boys, public enemy, nick cave and the bad seeds, echo and the bunnymen, pogues and plenty more. massively under-rated decade was the 80s. no beatles of course, but there couldn't be. yrs, a young(ish) hippy.

the greatest bad ever to influence most others, the beatles, untouchable then, untouchable now, and those who disagree get ye boxing gloves on :D

A very good pop band with little to say.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one, I hope someday you will join us, and the world will live as one.

Having just won the bet with myself, I have removed 10 baht from my right pocket and placed it in my left pocket. :)

Everyone has their own opinion, but I don't get the Beatles "had little to say" remark. I can't think of any other artists of the time who were more positive about changing the world for the better, than the Beatles.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Having just won the bet with myself, I have removed 10 baht from my right pocket and placed it in my left pocket. :D

Everyone has their own opinion, but I don't get the Beatles "had little to say" remark. I can't think of any other artists of the time who were more positive about changing the world for the better, than the Beatles.

Of course it's just each of ours opinion UG. I like the Beatles.

Here's something similar but different:

Imagine

Imagine there's no Heaven

It's easy if you try

No hel_l below us

Above us only sky

Imagine all the people

Living for today

Imagine there's no countries

It isn't hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for

And no religion too

Imagine all the people

Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you'll join us

And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions

I wonder if you can

No need for greed or hunger

A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people

Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you'll join us

And the world will live as one

My Back Pages

Crimson flames tied through my ears

Rollin' high and mighty traps

Pounced with fire on flaming roads

Using ideas as my maps

"We'll meet on edges, soon," said I

Proud 'neath heated brow.

Ah, but I was so much older then,

I'm younger than that now.

Half-wracked prejudice leaped forth

"Rip down all hate," I screamed

Lies that life is black and white

Spoke from my skull. I dreamed

Romantic facts of musketeers

Foundationed deep, somehow.

Girls' faces formed the forward path

From phony jealousy

To memorizing politics

Of ancient history

Flung down by corpse evangelists

Unthought of, though, somehow.

A self-ordained professor's tongue

Too serious to fool

Spouted out that liberty

Is just equality in school

"Equality," I spoke the word

As if a wedding vow.

In a soldier's stance, I aimed my hand

At the mongrel dogs who teach

Fearing not that I'd become my enemy

In the instant that I preach

My pathway led by confusion boats

Mutiny from stern to bow.

Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats

Too noble to neglect

Deceived me into thinking

I had something to protect

Good and bad, I define these terms

Quite clear, no doubt, somehow.

Ones about a daydream and another is about waking up. Anyhow, as Bob says, "It's All Good". :)

A Day In The Life

I read the news today oh boy

About a lucky man who made the grade

And though the news was rather sad

Well I just had to laugh

I saw the photograph

He blew his mind out in a car

He didn't notice that the lights had changed

A crowd of people stood and stared

They'd seen his face before

Nobody was really sure

If he was from the House of Lords.

I saw a film today oh boy

The English Army had just won the war

A crowd of people turned away

But I just had to look

Having read the book.

I'd love to turn you on

Woke up, fell out of bed

Dragged a comb across my head

Found my way downstairs and drank a cup

And looking up I noticed I was late

Found my coat and grabbed my hat

Made the bus in seconds flat

Found my way upstairs and had a smoke

And somebody spoke and I went into a dream

Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire

And though the holes were rather small

They had to count them all

Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the

Albert Hall

One of my personal favorites - written by both Lennon and McCartney

A Day In The Life

About a lucky man who made the grade

And though the news was rather sad

Well I just had to laugh

I saw the photograph

He blew his mind out in a car

He didn't notice that the lights had changed

A crowd of people stood and stared

They'd seen his face before

Nobody was really sure

If he was from the House of Lords.

I saw a film today oh boy

The English Army had just won the war

A crowd of people turned away

But I just had to look

Having read the book.

I'd love to turn you on

Woke up, fell out of bed

Dragged a comb across my head

Found my way downstairs and drank a cup

And looking up I noticed I was late

Found my coat and grabbed my hat

Made the bus in seconds flat

Found my way upstairs and had a smoke

And somebody spoke and I went into a dream

Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire

And though the holes were rather small

They had to count them all

Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the

Albert Hall

It's a great song, yeah.

Dylan's influence on The Beatles

Vocally and poetically Dylan was a huge influence.

-- Paul McCartney19

Dylan's poignant lyricism at the heart of his protest music was the crux of his work, and its resonance captured listeners. Even after the British protest song trend fizzled, its effects were long-standing. As Robert Shelton writes, "efore Dylan's new work [folk-rock], most rock musicians, including The Beatles, had been using insipid, frivolous lyrics. While many folk slowpokes took time to assimilate Dylan's new approach, his large new pop pastorate tuned in quickly20." This new trend towards more thoughtful lyricism was felt tremendously by The Beatles, whose 1965 release Rubber Soul was lyrically more complex than their previous releases, and bore a heavy Dylan influence21. Lennon was the most affected by Dylan lyrically, and his songs became more introspective and poetic, resulting in Dylan-tinged offerings such as "I'm A Loser," "In My Life," "Norweigian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)," "A Day in the Life," and "All You Need is Love22."As their albums progressed, many of their other songs – such as "Come Together" – began to feature the same sort of bizarre imagery as some of Dylan's contemporary work.

https://wikis.nyu.edu/ek6/modernamerica/ind...OnAmericanMusic

Anyway, every band had their influences and Dylan not only sang the songs of others that came before him he appropriated quite a bit as his own, as well. What he made it into though was something else altogether. Dylan was clearly influenced by the Beatles success when he decided to go electric.

There is no doubt that Dylan was/is a great musician. Unfortunately for me, his singing voice usually keeps me from enjoying some of his songs as much as when someone else does them. I had the same problem with Hendrix when he first came out, but I've learned to forgive him over the years. :)

just trying to put a little umpthh into the CM forum

maybe all us old punks could get together instead? Just back from a week in CM, and yes, I understand the hippie image it has . . .

You left a week early it's punk rock night down the Guitarman this Friday.

Really what time does it kick off?

Actually quite funny that, original era punks aren't all that young these days, even the surviving guitarist from The Clash/BAD is bald these days. I went through that period and I am 51, don't feel that punkish anymore except when the sound system is cranked after a few beers of course.

Iin fact my brother visited recently and just to prove we are as bad as ever we were listening at high volume this time to: Album - Sticky Fingers, Big Ausio Dynamite - E=MC2, Rush, The Church- Milky Way, & I'm Too Sexy for a laugh. We drag out a different era sound for each visit.

Amazing how music can transport you in time emotions et all.

A Day In The Life

I read the news today oh boy...

...Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the

Albert Hall

Good stuff, that song from two independent unrelated riffs that Lennon and McCartney had no where to go with, which is why the changes are so interesting when they combined them together. Problem with many bands with so much creative talent is holding it tiogether as usually volatile personalities. Stones have lasted as the writing is laid out, no fighting for credits.

just trying to put a little umpthh into the CM forum

maybe all us old punks could get together instead? Just back from a week in CM, and yes, I understand the hippie image it has . . .

You left a week early it's punk rock night down the Guitarman this Friday.

Really what time does it kick off?

Actually quite funny that, original era punks aren't all that young these days, even the surviving guitarist from The Clash/BAD is bald these days. I went through that period and I am 51, don't feel that punkish anymore except when the sound system is cranked after a few beers of course.

Iin fact my brother visited recently and just to prove we are as bad as ever we were listening at high volume this time to: Album - Sticky Fingers, Big Ausio Dynamite - E=MC2, Rush, The Church- Milky Way, & I'm Too Sexy for a laugh. We drag out a different era sound for each visit.

Amazing how music can transport you in time emotions et all.

The details are in the Chiang Mai news and events sub forum, it starts at 6pm finishes at 2am and there's eleven bands, admission is 100baht with a free drink.

I'm not expecting anything great just looking forward to the novelty of listening to Thai punk bands.

... snip ... have you ever heard Dead Can Dance? They are hard to classify. But very melodic and they sound like they are right up your alley.

Sawasdee Khrup Khun UG,

You are so right : the music is always renewing, ever-refreshing; it never "stands still." And how wondrous and beautiful that is. In our brief comments on what we most enjoy, we left out many "gems" that bring us joy : Lisa Gerard (formerly of Dead Can Dance) is certainly one of them. A unique "world-voice." We particularly love certain female singers who are less well-known, like the incompable Sezen Oksu of Turkey, Irina Mikhailiova from Kazakhstan (now in California), certain singers in the "fado" tradition of Portugal like Mariza, Dulce Pontes, Misia (note : there's another 'Misia who is a Japanese pop star).

Another of our favorite groups is that strange trio of Germans (the main mover of which appears to be the rather secretive and publicity-shy Claus Zundel who goes only by the name "Le Brave") who went to Ibiza and, working with flamenco guitarist Paco Fernandez, and flamenco singers, turned out several albums under the name "B-Tribe," as well as stunning arrangements of such classical icons as Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor, the Concerto de Aranjuez, etc., as well as flamenco-ambient tracks with overlays of some of the most sensual female "aural emotings" that ever caused blood to rush to our ... :) Some of the half-whispered, half-sung vocals "overlays" are reputed to be by African super-model Luna Mohamed, but it's not clear if she's the one doing the vocals on earlier albums like Sensual, Sensual. Unfortunately we have not been able, yet, to obtain their last albums.

We perish, the music goes on. How lovely !

regards, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

For me the "authentic" voices were the early (pre journey-to-the-east William Blake influenced) Allen Ginsberg, Ferlinghetti, Rexroth, Patchen, Snyder, and Brautigan, and, of course, Lenore Kandel's whose poetry induced immediate erections in human males.

Have you ever heard of Kirby Doyle? He was a Beat poet who hung out with all these guys and had a mental breakdown and lived on the streets in San Francisco. He washed dishes in my friend's restaurant and we all thought that he was a mad genius just from listening to him talk to himself while he washed plares. One day, a new kid came to work who knew who he was and told everyone he used to be famous. They ended up being best buddies and his life got a lot better.

Edited by Ulysses G.

such similar paths...kinda funny, this morning i got up and downloaded Zabriskie Point and Performance... movies and soundtracks... as i was feeling nostalgic for a long gone era and a period of my life that was instrumental in making me who i am today.

I too did the acid tests, grew up in the Haight, journeyed to europe in 69 to kick dope and see Isle of Wight... caught the stones in hyde park for the brian memorial and was lying in geneva in the park on acid when we landed on the moon (and i was passing over mars).

I went to over 200 dead shows, my kids grew up onstage with Jerry and the gang... i helped carry him to the ambulance the day he went into his first coma. Say what you will about their music, the EXPERIENCE was something to behold. Bill Graham said; they are not only the best at what they do... they are the only ones who do what they do.

I remember the day Revolver came out and SFO almost came to a standstill.... maybe it was just the good dope that summer.

anyways...i managed to pull degrees from UC Berkeley (69 and 71) and then a MSW from Cal (in 98).... so in spite of it all, the old brain still works... good enuf to enable me to enjoy a comfortable retirement here in CM.

what a long strange trip its been....

I used to love Dan Hicks and His Hot Lips!

Yea, I am with you there, the greatest hippy band that ever existed. I have been trying to find a ring tone featuring Sid Page's solo on "Scare Myself" for years.

I agree with both you guys, Dan Hicks was (and still is) great. Certainly a unique sound, there's nobody else like him. It's kinda hard for me to classify him as a hippie though I must admit I did smoke a lot of pot listening to him and the Hot Licks in the old days. These days I no longer smoke anything; it's that getting old thing again ya know.

Dan is still at it today by the way: Dan Hicks Schedule

Yea, I am with you there, the greatest hippy band that ever existed. I have been trying to find a ring tone featuring Sid Page's solo on "Scare Myself" for years.

I agree with both you guys, Dan Hicks was (and still is) great. Certainly a unique sound, there's nobody else like him. It's kinda hard for me to classify him as a hippie though I must admit I did smoke a lot of pot listening to him and the Hot Licks in the old days. These days I no longer smoke anything; it's that getting old thing again ya know.

Dan is still at it today by the way: Dan Hicks Schedule

I see he's playing at the Fillmore.. I thought that shut the doors along time ago.

Remember the concerts (free) in Golden Gate park with crazy Grace and the Airplane and Hot Tuna and Frampton back in or around '72/'73 ?

I wish I could turn back the clock to then ( sometimes )

I was a Navy Corpsman ( HM2) then stationed at Mare Island ( back from RVN ) and before the piss tests started..

Man that was fun.

post-46099-1261055812_thumb.jpg

post-46099-1261055838_thumb.jpg

post-46099-1261055873_thumb.jpg

I agree with both you guys, Dan Hicks was (and still is) great. Certainly a unique sound, there's nobody else like him. It's kinda hard for me to classify him as a hippie...

Just how would you classify this cast of characters if not as hippies?

danhicks.jpg

Sawasdee Khrup, TV Old Hippies,

We are taking bets on how long before someone demands a sub-sub-sub forum of the "ThaiVisa Chiang Mai Geriatric Forum" be created titled "Get Over It" : or should that be titled : "After Eagles Fall" ?

"I'd like to find your inner child, and kick its little ass!"
: "Get Over It" by Don Henley and Glen Frey, copyright 1994, from the album "hel_l Freezes Over."

:)

best, ~o:37;

They reopened the Fillmore quite a few years ago, but I'm not sure if it is the original location. I'm pretty sure it is in Jim Jones old temple though.

yes, the fillmore reopened a LONG time ago... at the corner of fillmore and geary. I worked security there and the Warfield and other BPG venues for 10 years.... stopped about 8 yrs ago, when i got married and had to quit coming home late and hanging out with old dead heads! hahahaha....

I'm a half-old, half-hippy, half-punk rock guy here in CM. It's all about balance. As Orang pointed out, there are a few OLD geezers hanging around here, but it's all good. I enjoy the open jam nights where some of these guys get up (wrinkles n all) n crank out excellent Floyd, Dead, and all kinds of 60's n 70's tunes like they were still in their 20's. Your generation certainly is aging, but the vibes of yesteryear are still flowing freely.

And yeah, I may be younger, but I spent my time with my Uncle Jerry, and CSNY and Neil also have a spot in my heart n ears.

And as long as some are bringing up a few bands I'd call more obscure.... any Robin Trower fans out there ?

I was a fan when he first came out, but he never expanded beyond his original concept. I'm not sure how many LPs he did, but I remember them as all sounding exactly the same.

I still listen to Procol Harum fairly often, but Trower only occasionally.

Edited by Ulysses G.