Ocr With Thai Language Enabled

coalminer

I have a free version of Scansoft Paperport 11 installed on my computer as a bundle pack that was delivered with my Brother DCP150.

This version of Paperport can recognise Chinese and Japanese languages, but not the Thai language.

I went to day to the IT-Center to look for a CD with an OCR program that would be able to read Thai documents, but could not find any.

Has anybody an OCR program that is enabled to read Thai language?

TIA

The new version of ABBYY Finereader OCR 10.0 says:

"186 recognition languages (Including Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Hebrew, Korean)"

I've never had any luck finding this type of software in Bangkok; but Bangkok is a big city; have to keep trying.

If you buy it online it's pricey: Full version $259 and upgrade $159.

That's probably a good deal if it works and it doesn't get any better than this: They offer a Free 15 Day Trial: http://finereader.abbyy.com/trial

I'm writing this at 2A Bangkok so when I typed in Country I selected Thailand. Windows 7 gave me a message that the server would open in 4 hours.

So I Clicked Back and changed it to United States and the download started right away.

Now I sit here and wait for TOT to slowly download my file (I pay for 2mps but just getting about 0.4mps.

So U may be able to try this out before me. I'm headed back to bed. Good Morning.

Finereader version 10 does do Thai script - does a good job as well.

So does the later versions of Finereader 9 build 1019 and above. I have not found any noticeable improvement between v9 and v10 so if you have v9 make sure it is updated to the latest build

So does the later versions of Finereader 9 build 1019 and above. I have not found any noticeable improvement between v9 and v10 so if you have v9 make sure it is updated to the latest build

I downloaded ABBYY Finereader 10 and made a documentscan with it.

The results are very good.

Cannot say the same from the Thai-English translator though (www,nodigsoft2005.com).

But the end document in English is readable and with a little bit of effort, one can see what was meant.

Saves a lot of translation costs.

Thanks to all.

For translations I use Google.

They are hopeless at word order and sentences but translates each word at a time. However if you are reasonably fluent in English you cna make a stab at the meaning.

Or roll around on the floor laughing.

For translations I use Google.

They are hopeless at word order and sentences but translates each word at a time. However if you are reasonably fluent in English you cna make a stab at the meaning.

Or roll around on the floor laughing.

I have 6 books, each containing approx. 50 pages of text (technical) and illustrations.

A regular translation office will charge me about 500 to 1,000 Baht per page.

Total= 25,000 to 50,000 Baht.

Now I can do most of the translations myself with these 2 tools.

BTW, a friend of mine from Australia who wanted to take the daughter from his wife from a previous marriage to Australia for a holiday, needed to translate a lot of documents into Thai for the local "Thatsabaan".

He braught the documents to an official translation office and collected the translations a few days later.

Everything seemed to be all right, until he went back to the Australian Embassy and they refused the whole thing.

Turned out that the translator used the documents she translated a few days before for another Australian, but the documents were for an ADOPTION.

Maybe the translator was using Google translations ................

Probably worth 180 Baht.

It only OCRs simple Thai, any complicated layout, small text or diagrams makes problems. Even using a longer document can cause problems.

Depends what you want from the software.

PS - don't try Google translate for English to Thai and expect it to be understandable. But it will make Thai friends laugh.

I downloaded ABBYY Finereader 10 and made a documentscan with it.

The results are very good.

Cannot say the same from the Thai-English translator though (www,nodigsoft2005.com).

But the end document in English is readable and with a little bit of effort, one can see what was meant.

Saves a lot of translation costs.

Thanks to all.

I use http://www.thai2english.com/#Overview to translate Thai to English and Dictionary.

I used the free version for a while and then bought the downloaded version.

I use it all the time and I'm happy with the results.

I had problems with the Finereader 10 download. when I tried to scan it said I had a "The parameter is incorrect".

I sent off an email but no reply from support.

What kind of scanner are you using?

I use http://www.thai2english.com/#Overview to translate Thai to English and Dictionary.

I used the free version for a while and then bought the downloaded version.

I use it all the time and I'm happy with the results.

Does it gives a complete translation line by line or does makes only a translation of each word?

I used Thai2English many times and all did was giving me a translation of each word separatly.

I had problems with the Finereader 10 download. when I tried to scan it said I had a "The parameter is incorrect".

I sent off an email but no reply from support.

What kind of scanner are you using?

I downloaded the test version of the official Finereader, but had nothing as problems.

Even with the installation.

I have downloaded the Torrent version of ABBYY Finereader 10 (full version) and this is working fine.

I use a Brother printer/scanner DP150C.

HTH