Influenza Cases Reported In Pigs

george

TYPE A (H1N1)

Influenza cases reported in pigs

BANGKOK: -- The Agriculture Ministry has found some pigs coming down with a variation of the type-A (H1N1) influenza.

"However, their number is not high. We should be able to contain it to just some areas," the ministry's permanent secretary, Yukol Limlamthong, said yesterday.

He said the Livestock Development Department would be trying to determine how the infections happened.

More details will be revealed when the Agriculture Ministry holds a press conference today.

Disease Control Department (DCD) director-general Dr Manit Thiratantikanont said people should now avoid getting into close contact with pigs or animals with flu symptoms.

"It's easy for transmissions to take place," he warned.

DCD deputy director-general Dr Somchai Nijpanich said as the influenza virus usually could spread from humans to animals and vice versa, it was possible that the type-A (H1N1) would be able to do the same.

"We have to monitor the movement closely. We will also need to warn farmers about the risk," he said.

Since the outbreak of the type-A (H1N1) influenza earlier this year, it has claimed 190 lives in Thailand. One death was reported recently, signalling a second wave of the outbreak has already started.

The Public Health Ministry has now announced that the vaccine against the type-A (H1N1) virus will be available to Thais from January 11 onward.

There will be 2 million doses in stock.

The DCD said the vaccine will be given on a priority basis to health professionals who have to treat patients, pregnant women, obese people, people with severe disabilities, and people with chronic illnesses such as cancer and heart diseases.

Deputy Public Health Minister Manit Nopamornbodi yesterday sought to assure that the vaccine for Thais would be safe and efficient.

Public doubts about the vaccine grew after it was reported yesterday that thousands of almost similar doses for children were recalled in the United States. The recalling took place after tests showed they might not be strong enough to protect against the virus.

"The vaccine for us will be from France, not the US," the deputy public health minister explained.

So far, the manufacturer in both the US and France is Sanofi Pasteur.

"The problem in the US took place during the distribution process but Thai authorities are going to ensure that the storage, the distribution and the transport of the vaccines here will be of good standard," Manit said.

DCD director-general Dr Manit said the vaccines should be kept in a temperature range of between 2 and 8 degrees Celsius.

"My agency is now preparing guidelines on the vaccination for hospitals. They should be ready before the end of this week," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-12-17

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I want to slap someone. The reporting on the vaccine recall, while not false is written inappropriately. To clarify:

-The recall of US vaccine is voluntary. There is no danger to anyone.

- The recall is a precautionary measure because testing on sample lots showed some variability in potency, i.e. it is not as strong as expected.

- One production lot showed a 12% negative deviation from the required potency. Additional lots were tested and there were varying negative deviations in those lots. When a lot tests bad, you recall everything in the production run. (I am waiting to hear from the peanut gallery as they repeat the mantra that Sanofi is profiteering. This recall is going to be a kick in the bottom line.)

- This vaccine was a special product intended for children under the age of 3 and was not for general use.

- Because 2 doses were used, the position is that there is sufficient immunity in the kids that received the vaccine.

- No physical harm has come to anyone and there is no need to be revaccinated at this time.

2 million doses of vaccine for Thailand. Wow. Very impressive for a population of 60million plus. Begs the question as to whether or not the planners assumed that Thais were resistant to this flu since countries like Singapore, Australia, New Zealand etc. all planned for enough doses to cover 100% of their respective populations.

And for the twit that has reported the flu in a swine herd, withough mentioning the containment and culling that will be effected to protect the industry, I'll let the farmers slap him. Once this type of news article gets distorted,the pork industry in Thailand will take a hit. Not that I mind. Thais should cut back on their consumption of factory farmed pork.

One sample from a pig farm in Saraburi infected with influenza 2009

BANGKOK: -- A sample of nasal swab from a pig farm in Saraburi is found infected with the type-A (H1N1) influenza, Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut said Thursday.

A total of 80 samples from the farm were collected early December and one sample showed positive to the influenza, the minister said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-12-17

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Influenza has always been a problem with pigs. The pig’s anatomy has many similarities to humans. This is why they used to use pig valves in heart procedures when a human donor could not be found. This is why I don’t eat pork. To easy to pass diseases and the fact that if a pig is raised in pour conditions it often contains amazing amounts of parasites. I have seen worms the size of fingers comes out of a pig’s belly. Looks like a sequel to the movie Aliens.

what should I be worrying about the most at the moment, influenza in pigs or global warming.

6 months back they were predicting millions dead this winter from flu, and Al Gore now admits CO2 emissions can not be linked to global warming.

Drug company's are reaping a fortune from the sale of a drug that will prove ineffective against this strain of flu, and global warming is a gold mine for government and industry.

we live in an era of manufactured panic, from Y2K to WMD in Iraq, the list of things to worry about is never ending.

How do you know when a politician is lying, their lips move!!!

what should I be worrying about the most at the moment, influenza in pigs or global warming.

6 months back they were predicting millions dead this winter from flu, and Al Gore now admits CO2 emissions can not be linked to global warming.

Drug company's are reaping a fortune from the sale of a drug that will prove ineffective against this strain of flu, and global warming is a gold mine for government and industry.

we live in an era of manufactured panic, from Y2K to WMD in Iraq, the list of things to worry about is never ending.

How do you know when a politician is lying, their lips move!!!

C'mon, don't be so hard on all politicians. It's a known fact that only 99% are no good and that makes the rest look bad.

:) OC

geriatrickid wrote

"And for the twit that has reported the flu in a swine herd, withough mentioning the containment and culling that will be effected to protect the industry, I'll let the farmers slap him. Once this type of news article gets distorted,the pork industry in Thailand will take a hit. Not that I mind. Thais should cut back on their consumption of factory farmed pork".

While I agree with you about the lousy reporting in the article, I am not so reassured with the Thai authorities culling and removing infected pigs from the food chain. Hope I'm wrong but they are bound to mess it up. :)

BSE in cattle and some sheep diseases slipped through the net here in UK and we have a very comprehensive system of checks and more vets in one county than Thailand has in the whole of Thailand.

Let us pray. :D

While I agree with you about the lousy reporting in the article, I am not so reassured with the Thai authorities culling and removing infected pigs from the food chain. Hope I'm wrong but they are bound to mess it up. :)

BSE in cattle and some sheep diseases slipped through the net here in UK and we have a very comprehensive system of checks and more vets in one county than Thailand has in the whole of Thailand.

Let us pray. :D

I agree with your criticism and you make a valid point. The protocol now is supposed to be that infected livestock is quarantined and destroyed. The newspaper should have reported on whether or not that was being done. Thank you for putting that aspect straight. Hopefully the stock is removed from the "population". If not, then that should be reported.

Unfortunately, no one ever follows up on stories so the public never knows.

I have no idea why they are culling the pigs. I have raised pigs--farm pigs, not factory pigs. They used to get the sniffles, colds, fevers, (and I am guessing the flu). Never had one die. Just like the rest of us, they recovered. Of course they all ended up on the dinner table in the end.

I usually consulted the vet, who stopped by and I was assured it wasn't anything serious.

One precaution I will tell people is that it's always a good idea to handle raw meat with rubber gloves on. A lot of contamination of meat is when it is raw, not after it's cooked. I am very, very careful about what raw meat touches. While the meat is cooking, I make sure to wash all utensils and scrub down all surfaces. I use good warm soapy water. I also have special knives, cutting board etc that used for meat and another one for vegetables and other things.

Scott' date='2009-12-18 18:11:00'

-I have no idea why they are culling the pigs.

- I also have special knives, cutting board etc that used for meat and another one for vegetables and other things.

Depends on the illness. They said months ago they would cull if there was an outbreak. Same protocols for when avian flu hit poultry operations. Perhaps the availability of livestock treatment regimens are such tha this is the "best" option. I would be surprised if there was compliance. Even in the west we saw the issue with some independent contractors bringing downer cattle into the supply chain of major fast food chains.

Scott, I never knew you kept kosher :D Know what the marketing slogan was for the pork farmers in Israel? "The other white meat". One of my friends gave me a t-shirt with that in Hebrew for Christmas one year. I miss that shirt. sowwy, off topic. :)