Dim Sum

anonymouse

The Holiday Inn has more of a Chinese food Buffet with Dim Sum that a Dim Sum Buffet, but I would suggest ignoring most of the other food and just concentrating on the Dim Sum. Some is superior to other places and some is about the same, but all in all for 350 it is a pretty good deal..

This belongs in the food sub-forum!!!

But while it is still here - there is a little place on Niemenheman soi 15 called "So You" (honest!)

About 200 meters from NH on the left - the sign is very hard to see.

Very good and extremely fresh dimsum - made from scratch to order. Nice and cheap too.

Very good....

..snip..

But while it is still here - there is a little place on Niemenheman soi 15 called "So You" (honest!)

..snip..

reminds me of another place in NH called "Eat Me"

Dim Sum: Next to Curry Pot in Kad Suan Keaw 200 baht for a dim sum buffet. Good, but not great. Not bad at all for the price, though. They do a good number of tsaty HK style stir fried dishes as well.

About a year or so ago, had a dim sum buffet at The Empress Hotel. Lovely restaurant, great service, but many of the dim sum dishes tasted the same. I forget the price

Never tried in any of the above places. But have tried "Yangzijiang' in NH and 'Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi'. In the latter, they serve Dim Sum lunch, really good quality. We ordered every single item in the menu, all yummy except for the rice rolls with char siew and prawns which is a bit out. It's called Fujian restaurant.

Yangzijiang is good too. I think the taste is near to Hong Kong quality dim sum.

This belongs in the food sub-forum!!!

About 200 meters from NH on the left - the sign is very hard to see.

Very good and extremely fresh dimsum - made from scratch to order. Nice and cheap too.

Very good....

I forgot to mention that the shrimp dishes (har gow, shrimp spring rolls, etc.) are packed full of shrimp - not the usual Thai style of having most of the dumpling made with pork...

And they make a very nice hot sauce to go with their dim sum...

Holiday Inn dim sum is excellent, made a thread a couple of months ago.

Others I have tried were not too good.

I did a search on Dim Sum but nothing came up, I was sure that there was an earlier thread.....

Thanks for all the recommendations, plenty to be going with.

Looking forward to the food in CM sub forum :)

The Chinese Restaurant at the Chiangmai Orchid Hotel (the one next to Kad Suan Kaew), though not strictly a dim sum restaurant, has some good dim sums on the menu. Thouh not always in the HK style, some of the dim sums are really great in their own right.

I feel the Fujian dim sum on Sunday lunch is about the best in CM.

The Holiday Inn buffet IMHO is decent but not a patch on the Fujian for quality and variety, though it is much cheaper.

I have visited the Yangzijiang off NH, and felt it was in a similar vein to the majority of other Dim Sum places, (its owned by the same people that have the excellent Hong Kong Noodle place in Chang Klan Plaza).

I would recommend that you try the normal Chinese a la carte menu at the Holiday Inn, as there are some really good Schezuan dishes available there, though it doesn't run cheap.

The Chinese Restaurant at the Chiangmai Orchid Hotel (the one next to Kad Suan Kaew), though not strictly a dim sum restaurant, has some good dim sums on the menu. Thouh not always in the HK style, some of the dim sums are really great in their own right.

One of those in the not so good category in my opinion.

By far the worst I have ever had was in a hotel in Guangzhou last week, uneatable, wife is Chinese and both of us agreed- awful-cheap though. :)

Never tried in any of the above places. But have tried "Yangzijiang' in NH and 'Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi'. In the latter, they serve Dim Sum lunch, really good quality. We ordered every single item in the menu, all yummy except for the rice rolls with char siew and prawns which is a bit out. It's called Fujian restaurant.

Yangzijiang is good too. I think the taste is near to Hong Kong quality dim sum.

Went to Fujian for my birthday lunch today (PizzaNPasta tonight), and it was top notch. But I do have one major complaint - price!

On the menu Har Gow were 80 baht for 3 - ok - my choice and I made it (other places can be as cheap as 25 baht for three). And other things on the menu were equally higher in price.

But that is not my complaint - I went there, read the menu, saw the prices, ordered, got great food, and readily accepted the 5-star cost.

The bill came, and our pot of tea for two people was 480 baht. Price was never mentioned - and I suppose I could have asked, but one doesn't expect a kick in the balls like that - so I guess it is my fault for not asking if tea was the most expensive item in the restaurant...

Fifteen fuc_king dollars for a pot of tea - asinine, greedy and mean.

1600 baht for lunch and a third of it was for a pot of Pu Erh tea - not even an expensive tea to buy.

Greedy greedy greedy, and sneaky sneaky sneaky

Everything else was fine - service, food, surroundings, etc. But it left a bad taste in my mouth, and that is not what wants after a great meal.

And for what it is worth, So You, on NH soi 15 is really almost as good...

I can confirm, from expensive personal experience, that Fujian is very good, but charges for it ! :)

Less costly, and with a nice view towards Doi Suthep, was the restaurant on top of the Duangtawan Hotel, sorry but I forget the prices (it was a year ago) , only remember the meal being very pleasant. :D

Went to Fujian for my birthday lunch today (PizzaNPasta tonight), and it was top notch. But I do have one major complaint - price!

On the menu Har Gow were 80 baht for 3 - ok - my choice and I made it (other places can be as cheap as 25 baht for three). And other things on the menu were equally higher in price.

But that is not my complaint - I went there, read the menu, saw the prices, ordered, got great food, and readily accepted the 5-star cost.

The bill came, and our pot of tea for two people was 480 baht. Price was never mentioned - and I suppose I could have asked, but one doesn't expect a kick in the balls like that - so I guess it is my fault for not asking if tea was the most expensive item in the restaurant...

Fifteen fuc_king dollars for a pot of tea - asinine, greedy and mean.

1600 baht for lunch and a third of it was for a pot of Pu Erh tea - not even an expensive tea to buy.

Greedy greedy greedy, and sneaky sneaky sneaky

Everything else was fine - service, food, surroundings, etc. But it left a bad taste in my mouth, and that is not what wants after a great meal.

And for what it is worth, So You, on NH soi 15 is really almost as good...

Yes, the waitress warned us about the cost of tea and so we go for the buffet at 499 which includes everything in the menu with free flow of chinese tea.

Went to Holiday Inn for the Dim Dum buffet today, glad to know that the chef is from Hong Kong. Must say that the quality for Fujian is slight better than Holiday Inn but really like the peking duck in Holiday Inn , my own personal taste though.

I can confirm, from expensive personal experience, that Fujian is very good, but charges for it ! :)

Less costly, and with a nice view towards Doi Suthep, was the restaurant on top of the Duangtawan Hotel, sorry but I forget the prices (it was a year ago) , only remember the meal being very pleasant. :D

I think this restaurant ha sthe best views in Chiang Mai, but I felt that the Dim Sum was only middling to say the least.

I think this restaurant ha sthe best views in Chiang Mai, but I felt that the Dim Sum was only middling to say the least.

Agreed about the Duangtawan!

And to clarify about the Fujian, I went there fully happy to pay top dollar for dim sum (and the prices were on the menu, so no complaint there).

It was the 480bt pot of tea that pisses me off. They should have mentioned that the way the did for ktizo.

And btw, the buffet is up to 599, and DOES NOT include everything.

Good warning about the tea.. I think there's a couple other ones that are surprisingly high in charge, so best to ask.

Indeed when I go for lunch with not too many people then I do the 499 baht deal. They keep pooring chinese tea at no charge.

So, I guess this place requires some advance study and careful checking of the prices..

Had dimsum twice today for two different lunches.

One was at a place recommended by a Chinese-Thai aquaintance at the market. "Hong Kong" style he said. It wasn't, but it was very good.

The name was 'tim' or 'dim' or something. Not sure. Going away from the old city towards the river, turn right just past Suriwong Books. The restaurant is about 400meters up on the left. Big red and white striped awning in front.

Basic Thai style dimsum, but very good Har Gow, Fun Goh, nice meaty little spare-ribs, steamed gyoza (a little doughy, but very tasty) and those seaweed wrapped things (maybe the best I have had). Cheap. Free ice tea...

To compare and refresh our memories, we also went to So You - what a good place! Nimmenheman soi 15 - hard to see the sign - obscured by a no-parking sign, and the english name is in tiny letters... Worth looking for.

The Har Gow have a slightly thicker and softer wrapping than most places (reminds me of Har Gow in a North Chinese dim sum restaurant I love back in Canada). The Crab Sui Mai are fantastic. Fun Goh are simple but delicious. I like everything there except for those god-awful peas that garnish some of the dumplings. The staff laugh when I tell them how horrible they are - they laugh because they know I like everything else!

Yum Cha!

I can confirm, from expensive personal experience, that Fujian is very good, but charges for it !

And to clarify about the Fujian, I went there fully happy to pay top dollar for dim sum (and the prices were on the menu, so no complaint there).

It was the 480bt pot of tea that pisses me off. They should have mentioned that the way the did for ktizo.

So I talked to the restaurant manager today about the price of tea...

And he thanked me for the advice of telling people in advance how much it costs. He is going to tell the staff to always do that.

And he pointed out that the tea I ordered Pu Erh was of the finest quality and was the most expensive tea they have. "Not fresh" he said, "aged 10 years".

Now I don't know that much about tea, but I do know that there are some incredibly expensive teas in the world. And their tea was very good - I must admit that!

The general manager is going to call me in a few days, perhaps to offer some compensation. We shall see.

I do feel a bit mollified. Maybe they are not so greedy- just a little cavalier about other people's money.

And I will say it again - the dimsum there is great.

I can confirm, from expensive personal experience, that Fujian is very good, but charges for it !

So I talked to the restaurant manager today about the price of tea...

And he thanked me for the advice of telling people in advance how much it costs. He is going to tell the staff to always do that.

And he pointed out that the tea I ordered Pu Erh was of the finest quality and was the most expensive tea they have. "Not fresh" he said, "aged 10 years".

Now I don't know that much about tea, but I do know that there are some incredibly expensive teas in the world. And their tea was very good - I must admit that!

The general manager is going to call me in a few days, perhaps to offer some compensation. We shall see.

I do feel a bit mollified. Maybe they are not so greedy- just a little cavalier about other people's money.

And I will say it again - the dimsum there is great.

That is TOO, TOO much for a pot of tea!

WJ, Thanks for recommending So-You. Really good. Was there tonight with my wife. I can't compare it to the expensive places in CM mentioned above but it compares favorably to mid-priced dim sum in NY and HK, especially when you take cost into account. Most of the dishes at So-You are 35 baht. We tried 8 different dishes. All were good to excellent.

Now, what happened to the request for a separate food sub-forum? At least 7 of the threads on the first page are food threads.