Closing An Account.

Bottlerocket

I've been looking around for a way to remove my account from your forum. I haven't used this account in a long while and now that I've come back to it I see why. I know that if I so choose to return to this site to read up on Thai news a membership isn't necessary, so there's really no reason for an account to be maintained. Mainly, my purpose is to minimize the digital footprint of my internet habits, but I also think that it helps websites such as your own report the true statistics regarding membership numbers. A membership listing including hundreds or maybe thousands of defunct accounts could very well be considered misleading to potential or ongoing advertisers. I'm sure that ThaiVisa.com and The Nation will help me to resolve this issue in the interests of your readership, the advertisers, and the simple request of one member who wishes to remove an account.

Thank you.

Thaivisa and the Nation are two different companies. As to your question, we don't have the option of closing an account. You can just not use it any more or only when you want to post a question. This is to discourage people from opening up a new account each time they have a new question.

Removing an account and deleting all of a members posts is never done. It would make replies to that members posts meaningless and would not be fair to these members.

The op said

"A membership listing including hundreds or maybe thousands of defunct accounts could very well be considered misleading to potential or ongoing advertisers"

I imagine though that advertisers look at the number of live accounts and that they browse the forum regularly so are aware of the reality.

The op has a point.

Your website has disclaimers for everything but that. May be it should be added?

"Once you register an account with TV it will never ever be deleted, not by request, not never, not no way, not no how."

Yes, and using a big size font.

It is very unusual to find site where it is not possible to close an account, they get complains untile surrender....

I see that a mailbox closing is simple that having a forum with empty replay.

But the common situation is this one:

user create account, like thailand, after he sees price decide to go to dominican republic. :)

next year, after recovery from various bullets wound he come back to the forum, forgot old account and password, and create a new one.

if he do not mail an admin ok.

if he send mail to cancel old one he gets banned forever.... :D

if he do not mail an admin ok.

if he send mail to cancel old one he gets banned forever.... :)

Sorry, I do not believe this for one minute.

forgot old account and password, and create a new one.

And also, if he had forgotten the account and password, how could he cancel the old one ?

Please, think it through before posting.

totster :D

Seems kosh has it backwards :)

If you create a new account and already have an old account both will be contacted to suspend one and leave the other. If you forget your user name and password its very simple to email support and ask for it back.

If you are a banned member, ie banned for bad behavior or spamming, and create a new account then the new account will be suspended as well.

• 4 weeks later...
Seems kosh has it backwards :D

If you create a new account and already have an old account both will be contacted to suspend one and leave the other. If you forget your user name and password its very simple to email support and ask for it back.

Uhmmm, for example i would like to change my name......the alias follow the mood :) everywhere apart Thaivisa :D