35mm Film Slide To Digital

highonthai

I have been scanning allot of old pictures into my computer.

I have about a dozen 35mm slides (Transparency's) I would like to have digitized.

Been to a few place around and they look at meet like I'm crazy.

Anyone have it done before?

Thanks

Edited by highonthai

PhotoBug near Mikes Hamburgers on Chaiyaphum Road at Thapea Gate will do them for you.

Thanks for the info, Greenside. I have over 20,000 slides back home in Canada and purchased a $1500 scanner just to transfer them into digital. But, it DOES take a while and not all slides come out well. At the highest level my scanner will do a slide at 5200 DPI and each picture takes up 100 mb. If you do it at any less resolution the quality drops noticeably. Even then I often have to photoshop the digital image later to clean up all scratches and imperfections. There are photoshop programs that will do it for you, but it still takes a lot of work. And, the end result is never as good as a picture shot in digital in the first place.

PhotoBug near Mikes Hamburgers on Chaiyaphum Road at Thapea Gate will do them for you.

Thanks for the info, Greenside. I have over 20,000 slides back home in Canada and purchased a $1500 scanner just to transfer them into digital. But, it DOES take a while and not all slides come out well. At the highest level my scanner will do a slide at 5200 DPI and each picture takes up 100 mb. If you do it at any less resolution the quality drops noticeably. Even then I often have to photoshop the digital image later to clean up all scratches and imperfections. There are photoshop programs that will do it for you, but it still takes a lot of work. And, the end result is never as good as a picture shot in digital in the first place.

5200 DPI!!! That's slightly overkill don't you think?! 300dpi is more then sufficient and you can save lots of hard drive space. If you can notice the difference as you say at less than 5200dpi then I would say you have some other settings to look at. If you are having trouble have a look at http://www.scantips.com

The HP scanner web site says:

"A Note on Resolution: The vast majority of scanning projects require resolutions lower than 300 dpi. For example, scanning a photograph at resolutions higher than 150 to 200 dpi only produces a larger file, not more detail."

Edited by jambla

5200 DPI!!! That's slightly overkill don't you think?! 300dpi is more then sufficient and you can lots of hard drive space.

Not really, though 5200 is a bit overkill. A slide resolution is about 2400 lpi (lines per inch) and is ~35mm x 24mm in size (~1.4" x .95"). Scanning at 300dpi will give you an image that will print well at 1.4 x .95" at 300dpi but not at A4 or standard photo sizes. So 5200 dpi on a slide will give you ~ 24 x 17" at 300dpi quality. I usually scan slides at 2400 - 4800. 2400 will give a print at 300 dpi of 11.2" x 8 or near A4.

//edit - just saw your edit. That is true for photos because they are full size already and the paper grain will limit scan resolution. Slides are not the same though and need scanned at higher resolutions as I outline above..

5200 DPI!!! That's slightly overkill don't you think?! 300dpi is more then sufficient and you can save lots of hard drive space. If you can notice the difference as you say at less than 5200dpi then I would say you have some other settings to look at. If you are having trouble have a look at http://www.scantips.com

The HP scanner web site says:

"A Note on Resolution: The vast majority of scanning projects require resolutions lower than 300 dpi. For example, scanning a photograph at resolutions higher than 150 to 200 dpi only produces a larger file, not more detail."

Yes, it is overkill, but I DO notice a difference in the detail and colour when I use the highest settings. It all depends on what I want the photo for. If it's for magazines I want the highest quality possible and then downsize the file later.