Using An I-pod

terdsak_12

My MP3 collection is getting big thanks to Limewire, I'm thinking of getting an I-Pod and hooking it up to my car stereo, which already plays MP3s, but only from a disc.

Anyone know what hardware is needed to get this sorted, or a shop you can recommend??

Cheers!!

Edited by terdsak_12

My MP3 collection is getting big thanks to Limewire, I'm thinking of getting an I-Pod and hooking it up to my car stereo, which already plays MP3s, but only from a disc.

Anyone know what hardware is needed to get this sorted, or a shop you can recommend??

Cheers!!

I use an Ipod in my car either via Griffin Technology or via a casstte tha plugs in to the car stereo then in to the Ipod

regards

wim

I've got a Griffin iTrip (shown on the link that Explorer gave) and it's pretty good. I've not used it much in Thailand but it gives 'normal' FM quality for close to zero installation work. The advantage of the iTrip over other FM transmitters is that it has a wide frequency range so it's easier to find an empty frequency to transmit on. A lot of the FM transmitters only have 3-4 preset frequencies and if those are in use for radio stations, you can't use them.

From your post, you're probably looking for something more permanent (e.g. an audio line-in on your stereo) but for a quick & dirty solution, the iTrip works (and it's portable)

Depends on the car and the car stereo.

Some aftermarket stereos have a line-in (aux) socket on the front, so all you need is a regular 1/8" cable. For others, there is an aux signal in the wiring harness but you need an adapter to tap it out and then you run the cable out of the dash to somewhere convenient.

For some aftermarket and OEM stereos prepared for a remote CD-changer, there are adapters which plug into the CD-changer cable and give you an aux input. They "pretend" they are a changer, so the stereo indicates a CD is playing on the dash, but you get the Ipod (or whatever) audio instead.

Some old stereos have a tape deck and you can use a very low-fi headphone to tape adapter. This sounds much worse than the aux methods.

Similarly, there are FM modulators which can put the Ipod output onto an unused frequency for tuning in on the FM radio in the car. The hip wireless kind sound terrible in practice, and the better quality kind that go in-line on the FM antenna cable to the stereo are still not as good as a proper aux input. Definitely not CD quality.

Googling for ipod, line input, aux, and the brand and model of your car or stereo can probably reveal a surprising amount of info as well as some completely useless pages full of keywords and unrelated product lists.

Thanks everyone, I like the Aux adaptor idea, look like I'll have the change my stereo, it plays VCDs/MP3s etc, but I fancy a DVD player now with my 7" TV which hkeeps the kids quiet. Got to approve the purchase with err in doors though.

I've seen a few high end DVD stereos with an Aux port at the font, is that all I need to hook it to an I-Pod/Creative MP3 player?

Cheers!!

Why don't you write your mp3's onto a CD? My car stereo also plays CDs and I have 234 mp3's on one CD. Don't know how long it lasts, but I haven't heard the same track for quite a few days :o