Lamisil Once For "athlete's Foot" ?

miodo2009

I checked it out at the store and I think I remember reading online at that time that the "once" version didn't work very well in general for those who wrote about it, however that was a year ago so I've forgotten. Heck I use the daily kind ongoing, bascially everyday I go out beyond just going to the local food store, but their pamphlet says a maximum of 1 week for toes or 2 weeks for heal. If I stop using, it comes back pretty quickly.

Portlandstone,

Lamasil works very well, so if your foot fungus comes back quickly, _it is because you are re-infecting yourself_ via your shoes, socks, sandals or maybe the bathroom / shower floor. Get an aerosol spray from the chemist to treat your shoes. Soak your socks in water-soluble Ti tree oil overnight, and clean out your bathroom with chlorine bleach....(just beware breathing it in ). You have to do this, otherwise the cycle will go on for years. Maybe your shower mat is full of fungus...?

If you want to give your feet a gentle treat after the Lamasil treatment, soak them in warm, quite salty water for 15 minutes every day. It inhibits fungal growth and is good for the skin. Just dry off without rinsing in fresh water....they may feel itchy due to the salt, but after a couple of days of this, will feel good. It's like having a holiday at the beach.

Lamasil directly kills fungus, as does the shoe spray. Canesten cream only stops it reproducing, and takes ages to work. The salt treatment also inhibits growth, and is good for the skin.

I can guarantee all this information is true......

Edited by Latindancer

Dancer, this all sounds like great advice. I may give this a try sometime soon. No I don't have a shower mat and I give the bathroom floor a scrub somewhat regularly (bleach mixed with water), but I can see what you are saying. Will have to find someplace that sells such kind of salt, as well as this Ti tree oil you mention. I've also thought about using Lamisil tablets that are supposed to be truely effective, but they are expensive and I was told you should use 4+ months of it, with a doctors presc.

A large bag of salt is quite cheap. I actually used sea salt, which was still quite cheap.....it came in large crystals which I dissolved in hot water. Just then add cold water till it is a nice temperature for your feet.

I had fungus in my big toenail once, and the doctor said that as more than 50% of the nail was affected, painting that chemical stuff ( forget the name ) onto the nail (which then gradually soaks through into the nail bed ) would not work, and I would have to take Lamasil tablets. The course is for 6 weeks......42 days. I had no side effects, but apparently it can be a bit rough on your liver. However since you only have an external skin infection, you do not need to take tablets. Just treat your shoes and socks. There is a great article in Wikipedia on various treatments......just Google.....athletes foot wikipedia..........

I'm not sure if that water-soluble Ti-tree oil is available here in Thailand. However your socks and shoes are the main culprits.

Re. the Wiki article......just be aware there are basically 2 types of anti-fungal treatments.....those that directly kill fungus ( such as Lamasil ), and those that only stop it reproducing......such as salt. The latter take a long time to work, but still do work.....eventually, with a lot of persistence. So I only use the salt water treatment because it seems to "normalize" my skin. Try it....you'll like it ! If you are using it for, say, a week, you can stop using the Lamasil for that week.

Also, I read once that once you've had athletes foot badly, you can get it more easily in the future. And it seems to be true. If I let my shower get even a little mouldy, I get that funny foot feeling......

Edited by Latindancer

I don't know where you guys get this stuff:

Lamasil directly kills fungus, as does the shoe spray. Canesten cream only stops it reproducing, and takes ages to work.

The active ingredient in Canasten is clotrimazole. Here's how it works according to netdoctor.co.uk:

Clotrimazole kills fungi and yeasts by interfering with their cell membranes. It works by stopping the fungi from producing a substance called ergosterol, which is an essential component of fungal cell membranes. The disruption in production of ergosterol causes holes to appear in the fungal cell membrane.

The cell membranes of fungi are vital for their survival. They keep unwanted substances from entering the cells and stop the contents of the cells from leaking out. As clotrimazole causes holes to appear in the cell membranes, essential constituents of the fungal cells can leak out. This kills the fungi and treats the infection.

The active ingredient in Lamisil is terbinafine. Here's how IT works from the same source:

Terbinafine kills fungi and yeasts by interfering with their cell membranes. It works by stopping fungi from producing a substance called ergosterol, which is an essential component of fungal cell membranes. The disruption in production of ergosterol disrupts the cell membrane and causes holes to appear.

The cell membranes of fungi are vital for their survival. They keep unwanted substances from entering the cells and stop the contents of the cells from leaking out. As terbinafine causes holes to appear in the cell membranes, essential constituents of the fungal cells can leak out. This kills the fungi and hence clears up the infection.

Sounds like both are essentially the same to me. Certainly it's NOT true that one "kills the fungus" and the other "only stops it from reproducing."

Edited by billp

• 1 year later...

ZeroFungus also works. I've tried and tested it because I used to have a nasty infection I used ZeroFungus as well and my problem was gone as quick. No more embarrassing problems for me. I usually order mine online and after reading up on this product it definitely won me over.

Edited by butterflypuff

Try this (I did last week) get baking soda (not powder). Mix with warm water and soak your feet in it for awhile. take your feet out- let the drip dry, they will tingle a bit- watch the old dead skin and. Dead fungus infected skin fall off.

Most common reason for recurring fungal infections is inadequate treatment. The fungus lives in a layer of skin deeper than the epidermis or outer layer and feeds of skin cells in that layer so that is where the medication needs to penetrate to. Superficially, the skin may seem to have healed after a short time but it is necessary to continue treatment for a week or 2 after apparent healing. For fungal infections of thicker skin areas such as the feet, local application is likely not to be sufficient to get rid of the fungus unless combined with an oral dose as well. Canesten typically works better in very superficial fungal infections such as the groin where Lamisil seems to have better penetration in thicker skin areas.

Re-infection is also obviously a problem..

Most common reason for recurring fungal infections is inadequate treatment. The fungus lives in a layer of skin deeper than the epidermis or outer layer and feeds of skin cells in that layer so that is where the medication needs to penetrate to. Superficially, the skin may seem to have healed after a short time but it is necessary to continue treatment for a week or 2 after apparent healing. For fungal infections of thicker skin areas such as the feet, local application is likely not to be sufficient to get rid of the fungus unless combined with an oral dose as well. Canesten typically works better in very superficial fungal infections such as the groin where Lamisil seems to have better penetration in thicker skin areas.

Reading your reply made a bell go off!! I've had; and have been sort of ignoring a chronic, deep itchy spot on the sole of my foot for about two years. It reoccurs frequently and involves some skin peeling. I never realized that "Athletes Foot" could go deep, as you stated. I've only used topical ointment; Quadraderm, to relieve the itching.

Would Lamisil tablets be worth trying?

Reading your reply made a bell go off!! I've had; and have been sort of ignoring a chronic, deep itchy spot on the sole of my foot for about two years. It reoccurs frequently and involves some skin peeling. I never realized that "Athletes Foot" could go deep, as you stated. I've only used topical ointment; Quadraderm, to relieve the itching.

Before taking any type of tablets/pills for fighting atheletes foot,fungus etc, have your liver checked as these pills tend to be hard on that organ. Additionally, I think that you should lay-off or limit your alcohol in-take as that adds additional stress on the liver. Speak with your doctor before starting those pills.

TheWalkingMan

Yes; the oral for for 4-6wks would probably clear it. Please note the side effect profile.. Taking this also into consideration, it would be good to have a firm diagnosis of a fungal infection. This is relatively easy but needs to be done by a dermatologist; skin scraping and KOH stain is usually done..

I have had problems with tinea quite a bit and i found the lamasil Once (or similar 'one' treatmenta) not very good. They also cost considerably more!

I use regular Canesten (anything with active ingredient: Clotrimozle) , or whatever generic brand has the same active ingredient, works best for me. I apply morning and night for a week or ten days.

reinfection is easy, so u need to clean and scrub your stuff where your barefoot will touch down. I also put my footwear out in the sun. A pharmacist advised me it kills the fungal infection on the footwear, and it seems to work. Scrub down your bathroom floor with bleach... also make sure your feet and toes are scrubbed every night, and then always fully dried. Since i have been doing these things my reoccurrence is very very low.