The (quickly Dead) Hockey Thread

cognos

Canada has about half the population of the UK, but I doubt it has a tenth the number of expats in LOS as from the UK, nevertheless.. us Canucks love our hockey..are there any hockey fans out there? I respect football ( we call it soccer here), so don't take this as a diss to football, but sometimes it seems like you are watching a swimming competition, especially Iraq vs. Vietnam a few years ago in BKK..sheeeesh. signed: less diving

You might be interested in checking out http://atdhe.net/

I managed to watch the last part of the Grey Cup (true, not hockey) live on there. Didn't get up early enough for the whole game.

And they've regularly got different NHL games as well as some AHL. More sports as well.

Main programming seems to be American sitcoms.

Yahoo sports had the 10 best hockey fights of the past decade. Old Boston favourite PJ Stock made 1 of them :)

The UK's lager louts would never last in a real hockey fight because they wouldn't be allowed to bring bottles or clubs and any dirty stuff would result in a mass stomping. I'd go one step further and say that all the great muay Thai skills in the world wouldn't save someone from a few piston punches at close quarters.

And speaking of hockey, this brings to mind the upcoming winter Olympics. Aside from China, Japan and South Korea, do any of the other Asian countries put up any teams?

Nice hijack eh :D

Looking forward to the 2010 Winter Classic! Flyers vs. Bruins at Fenway Park 1:00 PM Jan. 1, 2010 (so assume it will be on ASN 01:00 Jan. 2). The rink is up, on the NHL site they have a live webcam (looks cool right now with the on-going blizzard), and a time-lapse loop of the installation. There was some great video of Bobby Orr skating with some children on the Fenway rink. BU will play BC there on Jan. 8, in a double-header with the Women's teams from UNH facing off against Northeastern.

I managed to watch the last part of the Grey Cup (true, not hockey) live on there. Didn't get up early enough for the whole game.

And they've regularly got different NHL games as well as some AHL. More sports as well.

I've just about given up on North American sports, other than checking the results on the net. Internet is so slow here in Thailand and so intermittent that following anything is a near impossibility. I never worry about hockey until after the New Year. Teams take that long to get their season sorted out. And, injuries play a key part in the results. Very few teams can afford any more than one or two superstars and if any of them go down with an injury the team just about folds up.

I've just about given up on North American sports, other than checking the results on the net. Internet is so slow here in Thailand and so intermittent that following anything is a near impossibility. I never worry about hockey until after the New Year. Teams take that long to get their season sorted out. And, injuries play a key part in the results. Very few teams can afford any more than one or two superstars and if any of them go down with an injury the team just about folds up.

Join a hockey pool, its great fun. Drafting and trading players ect.

• 2 weeks later...
The cup is coming to Vancouver this year

9fhhxkg4iq4aynkxzefc.gif

I hope you are correct..if so.. Roberto Luongo and the Swedish Twins will have to carry them on their backs, so to speak..this town goes ballistic in the playoffs

I'd be surprised if the Canucks even make the playoffs this year. Every year it's the same thing, rely on a few players (Naslund, Twins, Sundin, Messier, Luongo) to try and carry the entire team. And now they've got the goalie as captain?! Luongo is a great goalie but I don't see him being a great captain.

I have NHL Gamecenter. I think it is about 600 baht a month or so, but you can watch all the games live, or anytime as they archive them. I used to check them out for free on the net or on the slingbox but I couldn't consistently watch my teams games so I went for the pay option.

Unfortunately I changed internet providers, now with True 8mb, and it seems that the quality is worse... but if you want to check out all your teams games, or follow a few teams, it is probably the best option.

Really looking forward to the Winter Olympics and hopefully watching Team Canada win gold!