Anyone Using Bbc Iplayer Over Here ?

properperson

Firefox browser and use the plugin 'foxy proxy' - easy to use to switch your apparent location to UK or Us etc.

I set up the foxy proxy on firefox last month but it wouldnt work, I think they closed this loophole.

Nice find but i doubt whether the free version would be fast enough for the iplayer, it says on tehrir site the free version is slightly faster than modem speed.. which will probabl;y be 64bs

Yeah I tried this before - just kept lossing connection - also would never start a download if chose to watch here. It did seem OK with the CBS player though from the states - slow, but downloads eventually worked.

The BBC keep saying theyt are working on an international version, but there is a lot of negotiating with the media companies they purchase from, but still doesn't explain why BBC radio channels are OK, but BBC owned TV (e.g. Question Time) is not available.

From: http://www.advanced-television.com/2009/dec21_dec25.htm

Canvas OK says BBC Trust

Although no official announcement is made until this morning (Tues 22nd), the BBC Trust is giving a provisional go-ahead for Project Canvas. Set-top boxes using Canvas software are expected to be available late next year for about £200 (E220), allowing people to access the BBC’s iPlayer and other web services via the TV. Partners are the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Five, plus ISPs BT and Carphone Warehouse.

The BBC Trust will order some minor modifications to the BBC’s original proposals for Canvas but the 2010 launch timetable will be maintained.

Canvas has come in for heavy criticism from BSkyB, which has argued that issues exist over consortium membership, the lack of a full market impact assessment and potential breaches of European Union state aid rules relating to use of the licence fee.

banana vpn. Costs a little bit of cash, but incredibly reliable and fast. I can stream bbc from Thailand no problem.

$15 / mo = about 1/4 what I am paying for UnBelievableCrap. Thanks for the tip.

It'd be worth paying more for a quality Internet connection and getting better TV.

Throw my hat into the ring here.

If you really want to have the fastest way of getting all your BBC programs to watch I'd advise you to do the following - using my decent 4MB Maxnet connection I downloaded Top Gear (700MB file) in 21 mins last night and was happy as the proverbial pig in "khee" watching it. 30 min programs take about 10 mins to download.

1. Get a fast and reliable VPN. It's a tunnel that allows you to connect to a server in the UK and have a UK IP address. Also they tend to be really fast, services like your-freedom and other free providers are severly throttled.

A good VPN provider I can recommend is my-private-network.co.uk, they're a British company that charge 5GBP per month for their services and are Paypal friendly.

2. Get FreeDownloadManager (FDM). It really is an excellent program. It accelerates your D/Ls anywhere up to about 20% from what I've seen. It's free, comes with no bundled crap or toolbars. It works great with Firefox.

3. Connect your VPN (full instructions of how to do that are very clearly explained on the website for even the most ardent technophobes!). Make sure you're connected.

4. Go to bbc.co.uk/iplayer

5. Choose the show you want to watch on their site and click on it.

6. On that page you will see, under the main video stream section, a drop-down called "More Downloads" click it and choose Windows Media Player.

7. FDM will automatically take over the downloading of your selected show.

8. Disconnect from the VPN, so you get the full advantage of your download speed in Thailand.

9. When it's done, reconnect your VPN, then find your downloaded show, right click on it and choose to Open File With... Windows Media Player. The reason you need to reconnect your VPN as Windows Media Player will try and get a license from the BBC for that program and you need a UK IP to make that happen.

10. Your program will play!

It all sounds very long winded I know, but I've been fine tuning this method for 4 years approx and it works excellently as the Windows Media Player files are much smaller than the main videos available for streaming and the BBC is notorious for severly throttling bandwith at peak times of the day.

One you get the hang of this, you'll never look back.

On Sun, I set up 8 different shows to DL, Jonathan Ross, Eastenders, Russell Howard's Good News and some other stuff, went out fishing for 2-3 hours or so, came back and it was all there waiting for me, and I had myself a lovely night's viewing all at the expense of those poor TV license payers back in Arctic Blighty.

God I love the internet.

Hope this helps and please feel free to ask any Q's if you need any clarification on any of the points.

N.B. I do not work for, nor am I related to the site above in anyway. :)

N.B.II This method will work for shows that have been up on the iplayer site for 7 days and under, once they surpass this the Windows Media Player option is no longer available.

Edited by ManInSurat

• 2 weeks later...

This whole BBC iPlayer thing got me thinking and I certainly do not want to pay for a UK VPN, so made it a mission to see if I can get it from BKK and much to my surprise it was easier than I thought on my notebook running wifi, see the attached image direct from there a few minutes ago.

post-63721-1262290480_thumb.jpg

This whole BBC iPlayer thing got me thinking and I certainly do not want to pay for a UK VPN, so made it a mission to see if I can get it from BKK and much to my surprise it was easier than I thought on my notebook running wifi, see the attached image direct from there a few minutes ago.

Are you going to say how you did it, or is it a secret?

I'm back in the UK now so maybe somebody could try http://www.filmon.com/splash/ and tell us if it's available in Thailand.

It's certainly got all the BBC/ITV/Ch4 channels plus a lot more on it.

The only problem for me watching live streamed TV from the UK while in Thailand would be the time difference. Who'd want to sit up till 2am to watch Coronation street :D , football's

the only thing I get up in the middle of the night to watch :).

I've always used The Box and UK Nova. I just download what I want to watch from the previous evenings programs when I get up in the morning then I can watch it at my leisure

during the day or just save it for the future.

A few of us oldies still like the radio - and you can't get radio 5 sports programs from the iPlayer.

But you can if you use your-freedom, only as said before they throttle the connection.

However once the connection is made if you are listening using real player you can disconnect from your-freedom and the program continues to come, un-throttled. Also think this is polite to not abuse your-freedom.

SWMBO can now listen to Liverpool FC play.

http://www.ukproxyserver.co.uk

Been using these for a couple of years to watch the iplayer + others, reliable sevice.

My virus app says:

Website blocked by Trend Micro Internet Security

] Opening this website may put your security at risk Trend Micro has not yet evaluated this website The website you wanted to see might transmit malicious software to your computer, or has done that before to someone else. It may also show signs of involvement in online scams or fraud.

Because you have set your Protection Against Web Threats to "High," all websites not yet checked by Trend Micro have been blocked for your protection.

Address: http://www.ukproxyserver.co.uk/ Rating: Dangerous

Edited by joncl

Been using these for a couple of years to watch the iplayer + others, reliable sevice.

My virus app says:

] Opening this website may put your security at risk Trend Micro has not yet evaluated this website The website you wanted to see might transmit malicious software to your computer, or has done that before to someone else. It may also show signs of involvement in online scams or fraud.

Because you have set your Protection Against Web Threats to "High," all websites not yet checked by Trend Micro have been blocked for your protection.

I don't use virus software so can't say I get the same message.

I think your threat level maybe too "high" though, it looks as though it may consider anything with "proxy" in the title as being suspicious as they are used to hide your true identity online.

Can't see how it's "dangerous", It's a company selling proxies. I payed them money for my own proxy, they gave it to me, it works!

Make of it what you will.

My virus app says:

I think your threat level maybe too "high" though, it looks as though it may consider anything with "proxy" in the title as being suspicious as they are used to hide your true identity online.

Can't see how it's "dangerous", It's a company selling proxies. I payed them money for my own proxy, they gave it to me, it works!

[humour mode ON]

Maybe that is the real meaning of the warning "warning: money is about to part from your wallet, when there is absolutely no need to as you can do this for free"

But really, I suspect you are correct.

My virus app says:

[humour mode ON]

Maybe that is the real meaning of the warning "warning: money is about to part from your wallet, when there is absolutely no need to as you can do this for free"

But really, I suspect you are correct.

True, there are free proxies available but these usually don't last long, leaving you searching for another. The amount of people using them also makes them slower or even unusable for streaming TV programs. I prefer to pay for my own proxy, it allows me to stream the programs perfectly and its always there, no need to search around for a free one that "might" work and hasn't been banned by the bbc.

The service is provided by scot hosts by the way which has been a limited company since 2000, definitely not a scam site as your earlier post suggested.

Totally agree djk.

To those decrying the whole having to pay for a proxy, fair dos, that's your prerogative, but I think you're missing out.

I never have to do any searching for that elusive proxy that might work. I know the VPN service I use is not a scam as I have been using them for 2 years. And MOST importantly it's fast, very fast and extremely reliable. It works every time I use it.

The BBC are known for throttling speeds, whether it be at peak or off-peak times, making streaming highly unpredictable - and that's just from within the UK where the broadband infrastructure is not that bad, well comparatively speaking. That's the streaming real-time side of things though. Downloading from their servers, if you can manage to do it - which I've outline above - is excellent and a real revelation since I worked out how to do it. Hence, I prefer to DL what I want and watch it at my own leisure. Most of the time I set up 5-10 shows I've missed to DL while I'm off doing other things. Also the BBC release all their shows for DL about 1-2 hours after they air in the UK, which is nice of them.

I find it hard to believe that from LOS through the bottleneck to the outside world that the stream is perfect and uninterrupted every time. I like to watch a programme in full without the stream freezing and the dreaded spinning circle of death goading me. Jonathan Ross is annoying at the best of times, let alone when he frozen's mid weally wubbish weekly wound-up.

Using my VPN to connect to BBC's servers and then disconnecting, giving me the full benefit of my Maxnet Premier 4Mbs connection, I get DL speeds of up to 550kbps (using FDM*) which equates to 10 mins per half-hour programme. Some of you might say that 10 mins could be used looking for a free proxy. Sorry, but 95% of the free proxies I've used in the past have been utterly useless and as has been alluded here, they still are.

It's 5 quid a month, which means 10 cans taken out of my monthly Chang budget, which can only be a good thing for my oft abused liver. Yeah I know - "peeing the wind" - I hear you cry. It helps! I digress.

Back on topic... to each their own, but if you're looking for fast, reliable and always available service; a paid exclusive proxy or a paid VPN is the way to go, but that's just my opinion, which like bum-holes, everyone has.

* Free Download Manager - It's FREE! If you're not using this you've seriously been missing out. IE/FF/Chrome left to their own devices will give me DL speeds from all servers in the region of 150-300 kbps. Using FDM simply increases the efficiency of how the information is downloaded from the server it is hosted on to your unit. It's the BEST program I have ever used - without a doubt - for DLing purposes. No bundled crap, no toolbars and nonsense. Freebie plug over.

Night all.

M.I.S. :)