Abhisit Insists Thaksin Must Serve Jail Term

webfact

And Thaksin aspired for the Imperial Prime for himself.

Bush the lesser also aspired for this Imperial Presidency,

and we have seen how badly that has turned out.

I would not have expected better from Thaksin in this regard

if left to his own devices indefinitely.

If the parties want to truly have reconcilliation talks they should meet with no pre-conditions on both sides imho. Right now both main sides in their power struggle put forward pre-conditions they know full well the other side wont accept.

Interesting advice from House Speaker (and Newin's dad) Chai Chidchob reported today by Bangkok Post - to the effect that Thaksin should be playing it cool because BJT will support passing an amnesty law to pardon all politicians - to include Thaksin not going to jail and also clearing the PAD leaders of charges relating to the airport occupations. I couldn't find any mention of this in The Nation, but Bangkok Pundit has picked up on it and raises some questions about the motives for the comments and compares them with BJT's previous stance. Could just be kite-flying or delaying tactics - we'll see.....

http://asiancorrespondent.com/bangkok-pundit-blog/an-amnesty

Edited by Steve2UK

Thaksin is a high stakes kind of guy, all or nothing gambler, he could have got his money back by now if he agreed to disappear but he's deluded by popularity and firmly believes that one way or another he will win and regain it all, perhaps greed sullies our senses

You are of course totally ignoring Section 30 of the NCCC act.

This amount is massive (nearly 27 billion baht). Do you think that people are going to simply walk away from a chance of pocketing this amount of money....

Him being Thai I'm sure it has a lot to do with saving face for him and his family as well. He would probably rather be a respected Thai citizen worth $100 Million than a shamed, forgotten, convict on the lam worth $10 Billion. Whereas most Westerners if given the option would likely take the $10 Billion, I know I would.

For Thaksin it is all about face first, followed by power- this ensures he keeps his face in the forefront and them the money so he can ensure any problems with face can be bought off.

Power IS face, Money IS power.

But he needs to be closer

to implement the Power and that's his problem.

If he loses the money, as expected, he will try for civil war,

he has no other option with his ego in such a state.

Anupong has said he is watching the chessboard closely.

Thaksin is putting his chess pieces into place for this,

if doing so doesn't seem threatening enough for him

to get his Money / Face returned to him, the actions will happen.

It won't happen, because they KNOW he will

wreck the country through vengeance if he has the cash to do it.

Of course serving jail time is a larger loss of face,

even with the money returned. He can't stomach that.

The next 3 months will be sadly eventful.

Edited by animatic

It's sad to think that this whole farce would be over if Abhisit would admit that the coup and all of its appointed investigative agencies were wrong, the 1997 constitution was reinstated, amnesty was provided for those involved in the military takeover (with their resignations, of course), and elections were called. Sure, a few generals and elites would have to eat a bit of humble pie, but the people of Thailand would be far happier.

Except that is fantasy land.

Thaksin only wants return of all power and all moneys.

And then it will be all revenge.

He started this debacle and giving in to him now,

will make his ego explode in vengeance.

The majority of Thai people would enjoy this karmic revenge.

The majority of Thai people want to all go away.

Do they really? Where would they go? Most of the Thai people I know like it here in Thailand.

But not if there was a civil war where the colour of your politics is more important than family, friendship or human life.

You have a situation in Thailand now where the prime minister and the Democrats are supposedly threatened with violence if the should venture into parts of the country.

How can you have any form of democracy if people are not allowed to visit any part of the country freely and without hindrance.

There were a couple of radio presenters in Chiang Mai who supposedly threatened the prime ministers life if he went there.

Do you think that this is normal and allowable?

If not how can you have a democratic election with or without vote buying?

The majority of Thai people want to all go away.

Do they really? Where would they go? Most of the Thai people I know like it here in Thailand.

But not if there was a civil war where the colour of your politics is more important than family, friendship or human life.

You have a situation in Thailand now where the prime minister and the Democrats are supposedly threatened with violence if the should venture into parts of the country.

How can you have any form of democracy if people are not allowed to visit any part of the country freely and without hindrance.

There were a couple of radio presenters in Chiang Mai who supposedly threatened the prime ministers life if he went there.

Do you think that this is normal and allowable?

If not how can you have a democratic election with or without vote buying?

You are quite right. People do get a bit touchy when you take over the government with the military, trash the constitution, topple two more administrations and then appoint a pansy surrogate for the military. Thais have been far more patient than most Western European populations would be in the same circumstances.

As Somchai Wongsawat says "hel_l Yeah!" :)

No one said Somchai couldn't go to Swampy or Bangkok,

They actual called for him to come and man up rather than cower in Chaing Rai.

They just requested repeatedly and loudly that he quit the government..

much too forcefully towards the end of course.

They also never said they would try and kill him if he went anywhere in the country north or south.

Didn't he have to leg it from the Parliament building in 2008 after a policy address after protesters cut the power etc?

I suppose you could call it "without hindrance" seeing as he managed to escape by jumping over a wall. :)

<snip>

They just requested repeatedly and loudly that he quit the government..

much too forcefully towards the end of course.

<snip>

"They" including the heads of the army, navy, air force and police on national TV. I'd say that qualifies as quite a lot of force(s) - and forcing. Agreed, no threats of physical violence to Somchai........ :)

Didn't he have to leg it from the Parliament building in 2008 after a policy address after protesters cut the power etc?

I suppose you could call it "without hindrance" seeing as he managed to escape by jumping over a wall. :)

No lights certainly is a hindrance, no denying,

but not like curb stones thrown through your windshield

like the Red brigades follow up social action at parliament.

Somchai never seemed to have much balls on display at any time.

Oh, I remember Yaowapha has them back at home in a jar.

Now he is just tieing with Nopaddom for the worst porky

untrue story told to the press as facts about Thaksin in 2009.

It's a toss up;

Malaysia loves him or Sri Lanka wants him as advisor.

Of course the whole Hun Sen saga is in a class by itself,

or totally classless by itself...

Edited by sbk
post edited--please make sure you are posting the correct name-sbk