Homeless Swedes Face Deportation From Phuket

webfact

Homeless Swedes face deportation from Phuket

gallery_327_1086_3668.jpg

Despite a run of bad luck on the island, the Swedish couple hope to return to Phuket some day.

PHUKET CITY: A homeless couple from Sweden face imminent deportation for overstaying their permits to stay.

Lt Col Boonlert Onklang of the Chalong Police identified the couple as Bjorn Lennart Lundqvist, 59, and his female companion Gabriella Rose-Marie Strand, 58.

Officers found the couple lying on the sidewalk in front of the the Bangkok Bank branch in Karon at 1pm last Wednesday.

Asked to produce their passports, only Ms Strand was able to do so.

Her passport revealed that her permit to stay expired January 19.

Both Mr Lundqvist and Ms Strand were in rough shape when found by police.

Ms Strand's hair was all tangled up and Mr Lundqvist had numerous cuts and abrasions on his arms and legs.

On Thursday, Chalong Police took the couple to Phuket Court where they were charged with breaking immigration laws.

Mr Lundqvist initially told police his passport was being held at Patong Hospital pending payment of 20,000 baht in treatment charges following a motorbike accident last month.

The couple, who are not fluent in English, told the Gazette they had stayed at the Bamboo Village resort in Karon until their money ran out.

Staff at the resort told the Gazette the couple stayed there for two months, August and September, before renting a small room near Karon Temple to save what was left of their money.

They later moved into another small room nearby the resort, but were most often seen on the streets of Karon, the staffer said.

"They were always drunk. Sometimes they asked me for money to buy alcohol," the resort owner said.

Ms Strand told the Gazette they didn't have enough money to extend their visas because their wallets were stolen last month.

The couple had just three baht between them at the time of their arrest, she said.

Despite their run of bad luck, the couple hope to return to Phuket some day.

"If we are sent back to Sweden, I will get treatment for my arthritis there, but we will be back because we love it here. The police have been very good to us," she said.

Phuket Immigration Superintendent Chanatpol Yongbunjerd updated the case today.

They will be deported as soon as the Swedish Embassy arranges air tickets for them, he said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009/12/21

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what happens to them now, I wonder how long they have to wait to be sent back to their homeland?

Now that they have faced court on this overstay, surely they will be unable to obtain visas to return to Thailand?

I wonder if they are members of Thai Visa? :)

their wallets were stolen only a month ago, but they overstayed 11 months.

before even thinking about going abroad from sweden anywhere, they would have to pay back for the government for the airfare from thailand, hospital bill.

if they really wanted they could work, even on thai wages, in so many hotels and guesthouses in phuket - looks, like they are alkoholics, not able to take care of themselves

Edited by londonthai

From what I know, you have to commit a serious crime in order to be banned from Thailand : rape, murder, drugs, etc. Simply overstaying your visa usually doesnt result in being blacklisted.

So what happens to them now, I wonder how long they have to wait to be sent back to their homeland?

Now that they have faced court on this overstay, surely they will be unable to obtain visas to return to Thailand?

I wonder if they are members of Thai Visa? :)

:) Yes a very sad story, they have been victims of self induced misfortune, missing their plane home and drinking their savings away, not giving it any thought until they are sleeping on the footpath outside the bank, with 3 baht between them. Very Strange. :D

From what I know, you have to commit a serious crime in order to be banned from Thailand : rape, murder, drugs, etc. Simply overstaying your visa usually doesnt result in being blacklisted.

I always understood if you went to the airport with your overstay and paid on the way out the worse that happens was a 20k baht fine, but if your arrested by the cops and face court over it, I thought it meant more.

Obviously their embassy now organises for them to be sent back home and they will have to repay their country somehow......I don't think they will be back in a hurry.

They will be deported as soon as the Swedish Embassy arranges air tickets for them, he said.

So why are there hundreds and hundreds of foreigners being held at the immigration detention center in Bangkok? Are all of them just waiting for their home countries to arrange air tickets for them? I wasn't under the impression that if you were caught overstaying your visa for a lengthy period of time you were simply deported immediately...

their wallets were stolen only a month ago, but they overstayed 11 months.

before even thinking about going abroad from sweden anywhere, they would have to pay back for the government for the airfare from thailand, hospital bill.

if they really wanted they could work, even on thai wages, in so many hotels and guesthouses in phuket - looks, like they are alkoholics, not able to take care of themselves

And you think they had work-permits? Listen to you, and make it worse!

I always understood if you went to the airport with your overstay and paid on the way out the worse that happens was a 20k baht fine, but if your arrested by the cops and face court over it, I thought it meant more.

Obviously their embassy now organises for them to be sent back home and they will have to repay their country somehow......I don't think they will be back in a hurry.

If immigration arrests you, you normaly will just have to pay the normal overstay fine. But now they can and will hold you in the immigration jail till you have paid the fine and have a ticket out of the country.

Believe the judge can order you to pay a stiffer fine.

...if they really wanted they could work, even on thai wages, in so many hotels and guesthouses in phuket - looks, like they are alkoholics, not able to take care of themselves...

Better don't judge, unless you know all the facts; even if you feel that you are right :)

I like these two better than Mr. Teal who is a lot more rich, but no less un-legal.

If immigration arrests you, you normaly will just have to pay the normal overstay fine. But now they can and will hold you in the immigration jail till you have paid the fine and have a ticket out of the country.

Believe the judge can order you to pay a stiffer fine.

Thankyou sir. It would seem that their deportation may be years away then, perhaps they may rot inside the thai immigration cells in the mean time. i wonder as they are a married couple, if they get to rot away together or in seperate areas of the prison?

it is people like that, together will all the illegal workers (pakistani, idian, nigerian scams) that makes it harder for all of us and makes immigration toughen up laws...

What are you doing to make your hard for you to get a visa?

Don't you work?

it is people like that, together will all the illegal workers (pakistani, idian, nigerian scams) that makes it harder for all of us and makes immigration toughen up laws...

-------------------------------------------------------------

I am from Sweden, and Yes I agree 100% to that statement. It is always the bad ones that makes it more difficult

for the rest of us.

they are alcoholics, and they should stay for ever in Sweden. It is too dam_n cheap down here for them. Not good at all.

I am sorry that this swedish couple make fools of themselfs.... and make it harder for the rest of us...

I do not feel pity at all for them.

Glegolo

I feel a bit sorry for them, they obviously love the place to have stayed here homeless without seeking help.

I hope they do return one day if that is there wish.

HUH? they overstayed their visas and u feel sorry for them?? :)

WHY>

their is a swedish council here they could have gone to for help but they didn't

They will not stay in Jail, the embassy will lend them the 20,000 baht overstay charge and fly them home and keep their passports till they repay the goverment which hopefuly means they will never leave sweden again.

Edited by phuketrichard