Homeless Swedes Face Deportation From Phuket

webfact

Perfect timing, to come home to Sweden in Early January. Be prepared for a 40 to 50 degree temperature difference

Alcoholics are the same, wherever they come from.

(True) (They are the same) And if they live long enough, to hit where ever their bottom is, and maybe they have, they might have a good chance of living a good life, problem is being a alcholic is a hard killer habit to quit, the first step is wanting to and many don't, I wish them the power to change, may the force be with them.

We are only as good as our last performance.

374.bmp

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope these two vagrant scum get tossed on their welfare butts back to Sweden. There's no excuse for two middle aged farang to be unemployed and penniless in this world especially with all the opportunities weighed in their favor back home in a wonderful country like Sweden. They should be completely ashamed of themselves. These wastes of air give all farang living in Thailand legitimately a bad name.

There but for the grace of God eh! Not much christmas spirit on TV, just the spirit; talking of which it and a lack of cash is proberbly the cause of most of their troubles.

A little compassion can go a long way & remember that alcoholics need treatment for their disorder, not derision!36_19_5.gif

In the USA there are more and more people like this now. Many are just one major illness away from bankruptcy and on the street given the screwed up health care system and insurance costs now. Plus so many are loosing their homes and jobs or have already done so... Count yourself lucky if you're healthy, working or have plenty of money. You could be next... (also, one thing to consider, we don't know their history and what happen that caused them to sink to this level)

Edited by Rainmon

There but for the grace of God eh! Not much christmas spirit on TV, just the spirit; talking of which it and a lack of cash is proberbly the cause of most of their troubles.

A little compassion can go a long way & remember that alcoholics need treatment for their disorder, not derision!36_19_5.gif

Where's that going? You want Thailand to treat their disorder? They'll get great treatment if they stay here! It's not a question of compassion, they're homeless Swedish alcoholics living on the streets of Thailand with no cash and no paperwork, send them home. It's the most compassionate thing to do and they get a free flight. Jesus Christ this isn't Thailand being a b!tch as if you had a couple of illegal aliens sleeping on the streets of your home town they'd be sent home.

... and 3 meals a day till home time.

That's not funny anymore but really cruel.

And in many cases incorrect. Not sure regarding the immigrations detention center, but in many of the prisons here the real meal is served once per day.

Rubbish! You don't see people coming out of Prison in this country with skin hangin off their bones. They're well fed, crap food maybe but they're not starved. Obviously you don't know anyone who's done time here!

Are you smoking something illegal?

Remember the case of a farang up country that was freed in a trial that took 11 months in waiting? He lost several teeth and 25 kilo iirc from his little 'endeavor'. He was malnutrition and said they were serverd rice and minuscule amounts of skin and bone of chicken, basically. Now, you can BUY yourself better food if you are rich enough. But that isn't what normal people can do. (You can also in some jails have items delivered to you by relatives.)

I hope these two vagrant scum get tossed on their welfare butts back to Sweden. There's no excuse for two middle aged farang to be unemployed and penniless in this world especially with all the opportunities weighed in their favor back home in a wonderful country like Sweden. They should be completely ashamed of themselves. These wastes of air give all farang living in Thailand legitimately a bad name.

A guess would be that they managed to get here with well-fare money (is actually enough to cover 2 airline tickets and food for a few months, if eating cheaply). They thought they would get themselves a nice long vacation but couldn't be bothered to try to earn a keep while doing so. Well, atleast they were not into any crimes, that we know off.

In the USA there are more and more people like this now. Many are just one major illness away from bankruptcy and on the street given the screwed up health care system and insurance costs now. Plus so many are loosing their homes and jobs or have already done so... Count yourself lucky if you're healthy, working or have plenty of money. You could be next... (also, one thing to consider, we don't know their history and what happen that caused them to sink to this level)

This is getting silly as we're talking about 2 alcoholic swedes being sent back to Sweden where they have some of the best social services and health care in the world. Their government will get them a place to live and give them money every month which they can spend on booze if they want. It's Sweden not the USA!

Edited by Jirapa

Not knowing the reason behind their problems, I would not be so fast in casting the first stone, you seem to be judge and jury with no real information, not the smartest way to judge people or anything for that mater.

This is getting silly as we're talking about 2 alcoholic swedes being sent back to Sweden where they have some of the best social services and health care in the world. Their government will get them a place to live and give them money every month which they can spend on booze if they want. It's Sweden not the USA!

my point is the lack of compassion being expressed by so many here, people are so arrogant, they never think this could happen to them...

Not knowing the reason behind their problems, I would not be so fast in casting the first stone, you seem to be judge and jury with no real information, not the smartest way to judge people or anything for that mater.

well said Koto!

I think people have been a little unfair here. It isn't like he was running around with young bar girls or hill tribe boys as some do, in fact he was just sharing his passion for life with his wife, I thought it was all quite romantic. And at least they were a western couple sleeping together, albeit on the side of the road.

As to the nonsense about people like that making it more difficult for the hi so members here to get visas, that is rubbish, they put us through the wringer purely because they enjoy it.

I went into immigration today to get a 12 month extension for supporting my Thai daugher. I had my daughter with me, papers for sole court awarded custody, school receipts, a sum in the bank 20 times what is required etc. I was first told the court papers were not correct which I questioned, she checked with her colleagues and was told they were OK, So she decided that as I didn't bring a photo of us together that a visa could not be issued on that instead, come back tomorrow and join the queue again. I was well dressed and polite. Just luck of the draw on who you get.

I agree. And too many people jumping to conclusions. We don't know all the facts

I always understood if you went to the airport with your overstay and paid on the way out the worse that happens was a 20k baht fine, but if your arrested by the cops and face court over it, I thought it meant more.

Obviously their embassy now organises for them to be sent back home and they will have to repay their country somehow......I don't think they will be back in a hurry.

If immigration arrests you, you normaly will just have to pay the normal overstay fine. But now they can and will hold you in the immigration jail till you have paid the fine and have a ticket out of the country.

Believe the judge can order you to pay a stiffer fine.

I don't know about Phuket but in Bangkok overstayers who can't pay the fine are sent to Patum Thani provincial prison to pay it off at a rate of one day in prison = 200 baht worth of fine or 100 days for the current maximum fine. Then they are transferred to the Immigration prison which is still in Soi Suan Phlu to be incarcerated until some one pays for their air ticket home. Most embassies will not advance the funds and they have to try to get friends or relatives to do it. Western embassies will usually give them free use of an Internet phone to call whoever they want anywhere in the world to try to raise the money. Apparently it is amazing how quickly some people who say they don't have any friends or relatives can raise money when they realize they will rot in prison until they get it. They may also be forced to get money to pay the hospital bill and other debts they may have run up.

it is people like that, together will all the illegal workers (pakistani, idian, nigerian scams) that makes it harder for all of us and makes immigration toughen up laws...

Strange coming fom a person who is supposed to be senior member of the forum. I think there are more white skin over stayer and drunk on the roads in main tourist attraction in Thailand than Pakistani, Indian or Nigerions. Color or Nationality cannot be used to describe a persons misfortune.

As for illegals worker, do not we see many foreigners working as teachers without any work permit what so ever. What should we call them legal workers?

No, we should call them exactly what they are; illegal workers.

Deport them at their own expense, without prejudice, but as laid down by the law.

Nowhere does it say they were illegal workers.

I'd say it's people like you that give us all a bad name.

I wonder if they are members of Thai Visa?

Wouldn't surprise me. The photo of that guy is spot on for how I picture most members of this forum.

Are you sure your not just looking in the mirror? :)

So TRUE! :D

If you have never dreamed of living a carefree life in a 'paradise' such as South Thailand, then I am dumbfounded.....

no real crime, really..... sad for them and Good Luck with their future dreams.

Nappy Hoel from Brewsta to you All, Scrooge or Santa that you may be :D

Edited by Brewsta

I always understood if you went to the airport with your overstay and paid on the way out the worse that happens was a 20k baht fine, but if your arrested by the cops and face court over it,

I think that is still correct

ฺีBut they were not on the way to the airport. They were apparently arrested by police. And had 3 baht on them.

it is people like that, together will all the illegal workers (pakistani, idian, nigerian scams) that makes it harder for all of us and makes immigration toughen up laws...

Hi Bkk,

Hold your horse don't just start blaming communities or countries, ill things or black sheeps are everywhere. I think you agree to this. If you go on like this then may be some one will reply your so called quotes suitably. "Every dog has it's day" Thanks.

Strange coming fom a person who is supposed to be senior member of the forum. I think there are more white skin over stayer and drunk on the roads in main tourist attraction in Thailand than Pakistani, Indian or Nigerions. Color or Nationality cannot be used to describe a persons misfortune.

As for illegals worker, do not we see many foreigners working as teachers without any work permit what so ever. What should we call them legal workers?

Seems it is perfectly OK to joke about non white races, just don't say a non flattering word about gays or women. :)

Thaipak, send me the address of a teacher of any race without a work permit! I'm not a teacher but that doesn't happen. You can't teach in this country without a work permit as no one would give you a job if you didn't get one as the employer would be fined or have their school closed. The largest percentage of illegal workers and people without visas are Asians.... Burma, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. It's not a black or white thing it's a fact!

You are correct the biggest offenders are Asians, however there are many teachers without work permits, the schools never get into trouble have you read any of the forums? There are several posts that guys are asking what can they do that their school is not getting them a work permit. I have overheard teachers talking how their school keeps telling them they are working on it and this goes on and on.

A guess would be that they managed to get here with well-fare money (is actually enough to cover 2 airline tickets and food for a few months, if eating cheaply). They thought they would get themselves a nice long vacation but couldn't be bothered to try to earn a keep while doing so. Well, atleast they were not into any crimes, that we know off.

A guess would also be that they were into crimes "that we know off"

Come on Tawp. This is all pointless speculation. You know as well as I do that information in this country is not of the highest calibre. And stories reported are usually one-sided.

I always understood if you went to the airport with your overstay and paid on the way out the worse that happens was a 20k baht fine, but if your arrested by the cops and face court over it, I thought it meant more.

Obviously their embassy now organises for them to be sent back home and they will have to repay their country somehow......I don't think they will be back in a hurry.

If immigration arrests you, you normaly will just have to pay the normal overstay fine. But now they can and will hold you in the immigration jail till you have paid the fine and have a ticket out of the country.

Believe the judge can order you to pay a stiffer fine.

Thankyou sir. It would seem that their deportation may be years away then, perhaps they may rot inside the thai immigration cells in the mean time. i wonder as they are a married couple, if they get to rot away together or in seperate areas of the prison?

loads of them like that in Pattaya. Police dont bother to arrest them cos they are so boring :)

A guess would also be that they were into crimes "that we know off"

Come on Tawp. This is all pointless speculation. You know as well as I do that information in this country is not of the highest calibre. And stories reported are usually one-sided.

Uhm, what? I was pointing out that from the look of it they were NOT into any criminal activity, which I atleast am happy for. They are just drunken bums. And drunken bums will always drink first and think later. If they get around to it.

Not the wisest choice to sleep on the sidewalk infront of a bank. Surely a park bench in a park would be nicer? Unless they decided to get caught. Or was way too drunk the day before.

But they were not on the way to the airport. They were apparently arrested by police. And had 3 baht on them.

The article stated that the man had a motorbike accident and the hospital was holding his passport until he paid. It would be difficult to leave the country without your passport.

It sounds to me like they went on vacation with very little money and then got stuck there. Not everyone knows someone that they can call to bail themselves out of a jam. If they've been alcoholics for quite some time then they've probably used up any favors that they had with relatives long ago.

I think people have been a little unfair here. It isn't like he was running around with young bar girls or hill tribe boys as some do, in fact he was just sharing his passion for life with his wife, I thought it was all quite romantic. And at least they were a western couple sleeping together, albeit on the side of the road.

As to the nonsense about people like that making it more difficult for the hi so members here to get visas, that is rubbish, they put us through the wringer purely because they enjoy it.

I went into immigration today to get a 12 month extension for supporting my Thai daugher. I had my daughter with me, papers for sole court awarded custody, school receipts, a sum in the bank 20 times what is required etc. I was first told the court papers were not correct which I questioned, she checked with her colleagues and was told they were OK, So she decided that as I didn't bring a photo of us together that a visa could not be issued on that instead, come back tomorrow and join the queue again. I was well dressed and polite. Just luck of the draw on who you get.

I agree. And too many people jumping to conclusions. We don't know all the facts

Erm????? Drunk, homeless, sleeping on the streets, only one passport between them, 3 Baht to their name, no visas, overstay since January, not Swedish political refugees! What more do you need? I'm gonna go hug a tree! I can't get why so many people are jumping on the Ferrang sympathy wagon and pointing the finger at the Thai authorites? Thailand 1, Ferrang 0! Good they got it right this time

Edited by Jirapa

But they were not on the way to the airport. They were apparently arrested by police. And had 3 baht on them.

The article stated that the man had a motorbike accident and the hospital was holding his passport until he paid. It would be difficult to leave the country without your passport.

It sounds to me like they went on vacation with very little money and then got stuck there. Not everyone knows someone that they can call to bail themselves out of a jam. If they've been alcoholics for quite some time then they've probably used up any favors that they had with relatives long ago.

The motorbike accident was 1 month back. They where 9 months overstay. That is NOT running into trouble and not being able to go back due to lacking passport etc.

And their wallets 'being stolen' was also months after the visa's expired.

Spare me effin days --- 660 reading this topic, what a impact these two <deleted> have had on this forum.

Simple, send the scumbags home with a positive NO RE-ENTRY and keep them out of my space.

For what ever reason it's people like this that finish up in the back blocks of Isaan without a "Pot to piss in" and sponge off both Thais and Farang without so much as a thank you.

NO MERCY FROM ME --- F#@K OFF.

my point is the lack of compassion being expressed by so many here, people are so arrogant, they never think this could happen to them...

Nice to find someone that I agree with, you took the words out of my heart, stink can hit the fan at any time and one can lose it, we should reach out, not kick, when one is down, a bunch of heart-less people out there.