Homeless Swedes Face Deportation From Phuket

webfact

Bunch of heartless folks in this forum. Seriously, no one here has ever fallen on hard times nor known anyone who has? Amazing Falangs!

They didn't fall on hard times per se, these are long-term alcoholics that came here on government (handout/wellfare) money and knowingly and willfully overstayed their VISA to try to get as much 'vacation' as possible.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a run of bad luck while staying in Thailand, and can relate to the idea of being stuck here with no money. The bad luck spell was having things stolen from me for a sustained period of time (long story, several characters). I have no chance of ever getting a pension or SS from my home country, and I accept that, so I was getting frazzled by my diminishing situation. Some basic differences between me and the Swedish couple: I always stayed legal and I don't have any self-debilitating habits like alcoholism. Also, I always did what I could to bring in some baht, some days selling home made potting soil out of the back of my older model p.u. truck - or doing freelance editing jobs via the internet.

Things have gotten better in recent months, so that dark cloud is behind me. Even so, I don't look down on the downtrodden, as I've been in a similar quagmires a few times in my half century on this planet.

I had a run of bad luck while staying in Thailand, and can relate to the idea of being stuck here with no money. The bad luck spell was having things stolen from me for a sustained period of time (long story, several characters). I have no chance of ever getting a pension or SS from my home country, and I accept that, so I was getting frazzled by my diminishing situation. Some basic differences between me and the Swedish couple: I always stayed legal and I don't have any self-debilitating habits like alcoholism. Also, I always did what I could to bring in some baht, some days selling home made potting soil out of the back of my older model p.u. truck - or doing freelance editing jobs via the internet.

Things have gotten better in recent months, so that dark cloud is behind me. Even so, I don't look down on the downtrodden, as I've been in a similar quagmires a few times in my half century on this planet.

That doesnt sound too LEGAL to me, did you have a WP for selling the soil from your pickup or the freelance editing jobs via the internet. :D:)

I disagree - alcoholism is a disease.

Agreed, it is. BUT it is a self-imposed, chosen disease! You do not just become an alcoholic. You are the only person who can make you an alcoholic. You can make up endless excuses and reasons, and alcoholics do because it is never their own fault, but it does not change the fact that this disease is a choice you make.

And it is thinking like this that is just ignorance.

My father was an alcoholic and every morning you hear the same thing, "Im sorry I will stop drinking, but it never stops" Believe me he tried many many times but never could stop not even till the day he died.

Do I like alcoholics- NO!! do I think they can control the cravings - NO! How can you judge someone when you have no idea how it is - take a walk in their shoes pal!!

Self righteous you are. And do not call people who you do not know pals, it shows ignorance. Of which you seem to know a lot about. Your father was an alcoholic and you seem to be convinced that it was a disease that he had no influence over. That because he was not able to pull out of it, it was never his fault. That is what I said. It is never their fault. And since it is not, they can just keep on as there is no one out there to help them. >In their thinking.

How can you assume no one but yourself has any idea how this is? Everyone an idiot except you? Right. Heard that enough times. Oh and my father was also an alcoholic!

Self righteous you are. And do not call people who you do not know pals, it shows ignorance. Of which you seem to know a lot about. Your father was an alcoholic and you seem to be convinced that it was a disease that he had no influence over. That because he was not able to pull out of it, it was never his fault. That is what I said. It is never their fault. And since it is not, they can just keep on as there is no one out there to help them. >In their thinking.

How can you assume no one but yourself has any idea how this is? Everyone an idiot except you? Right. Heard that enough times. Oh and my father was also an alcoholic!

Fine wont call you pal, and I'm not trying to fight with you. Obviously because your dad was an alcoholic you are blinded by the real problem of what an alcoholic really is, where until they have that first drink they have no idea they are an alcoholic and then it's too late. Some people can control, some people cant, depends on how strong or weak that person is. What did I say to infer that I'm self righteous? about taking a walk in their shoes? I still stand by that comment, until you or I have the disease how can we judge someone that has it?