Hi all,

If your in debt owing £15,000 in the UK, would you be refused entry to the Kingdom of Thailand using a Non-Immigrant Visa or a Tourist Visa?

Thanks,

Andy

PS. If however it would be refused, why would it make a difference if you can stay in Thailand for a holiday up to 30 days?

If your in debt owing £15,000 in the UK, would you be refused entry to the Kingdom of Thailand using a Non-Immigrant Visa or a Tourist Visa?

If you have a general debt not subject to a Court ruling you can travel to Thailand on an O Visa. However, as I recall if you're a bankrupt in your country of residence you are not granted a Thai O visa. Obviously it is unlikely this will be cross-checked. Also many countries will not allow exit if you are bankrupt without permission from the court. e.g. In Australia your passport has to be handed over to the Court.

Who in the UK isn't in debt to the tune of 15,000 ?

With house prices where they are - I'd guess most people are in debt over 100,000...

I guess there's more here than meets the eye - in any case, don't worry - they don't check criminal records on entry, so I'd say it's unlikely they'll cross-check with the people that owe you money...

I know of one man that owes aprox £100,000 to various banks in the UK and has an reiterment visa for thailand, when he applied for the visa, the problem of debt in the UK did not come up and has not up till now.

He also sent money from England to Thailand via the banking system.

The man who owes the money is hoping to be made bankrupt in his absence.

I know of one man that owes aprox £100,000 to various banks in the UK and has an reiterment visa for thailand, when he applied for the visa, the problem of debt in the UK did not come up and has not up till now.

well the good news is!! there is a new anglo thai debt collection agency buying up debts in UK and Australia,supposed to have caught up with a singaporean business man here in brisbane and beat the crap out of him, then he payed up what he owed, they are setting up office in Bangkok so all you debtors who thought you were so clever Heads up!! these guys are good at their jobs, sadly I was to old to take them up on their job offer :o Nignoy

What about declaring bankrupt first in the UK, would this stop someone from entering the Kingdom of Thailand under the Non-Immigrant or Tourist Visa?

Not a problem at all.

Dr Pat I'm afraid you're not 100% correct. As I previously stated if you are delared bankrupt in some countries you have to surender your passport & are not allowed to leave the country without the Court's permission. e.g. in Australia the period of is three years. Unsure of U.K. regulations but I assume it's similar.

What about declaring bankrupt first in the UK, would this stop someone from entering the Kingdom of Thailand under the Non-Immigrant or Tourist Visa?

Not a problem at all.

Dr Pat I'm afraid you're not 100% correct. As I previously stated if you are delared bankrupt in some countries you have to surender your passport & are not allowed to leave the country without the Court's permission. e.g. in Australia the period of is three years. Unsure of U.K. regulations but I assume it's similar.

I assumed the OP was expecting to be in possession of his passport. If not, there's no travel for him. Bankrupcy, of itself, is of no concern to Thai authorities as long as the traveller possesses valid travel documents.

Not a problem at all.

I assumed the OP was expecting to be in possession of his passport. If not, there's no travel for him. Bankrupcy, of itself, is of no concern to Thai authorities as long as the traveller possesses valid travel documents.

Is that true? I recall reading somewhere that bankruptcy makes you ineligible for certain Thai visas; can you clarify?

Is that true? I recall reading somewhere that bankruptcy makes you ineligible for certain Thai visas; can you clarify?

Yes, I do believe bankruptcy makes you ineligible for the Thai Elite card (and the visa that comes with it), However I'd be willing to bet they would let you get that anyway if you were willing to fork over 1,000,000 baht. :o

Kingdom of Thailand using a Non-Immigrant Visa

Perhaps you could enlighten us how you can get a non immigrant visa without showing proof that you have access to funds for the one year you want to stay in Thailand?

Kingdom of Thailand using a Non-Immigrant Visa

Perhaps you could enlighten us how you can get a non immigrant visa without showing proof that you have access to funds for the one year you want to stay in Thailand?

Did the OP say anything about staying for a year? You can get a Multi-entry Non-Immigrant O without any proof of access to funds.

well the good news is!! there is a new anglo thai debt collection agency buying up debts in UK and Australia,supposed to have caught up with a singaporean business man here in brisbane and beat the crap out of him, then he payed up what he owed, they are setting up office in Bangkok so all you debtors who thought you were so clever Heads up!! these guys are good at their jobs, sadly I was to old to take them up on their job offer :o Nignoy

My friend hasnt had any problems. never heard of this agency and dont understand how this would work ?

My friend hasnt had any problems. never heard of this agency and dont understand how this would work ?

Not a lot to understand really, they have been buying up debts and they are pretty good at tracing people and collecting what is owed, one way or another.Nignoy

Unless the rules have changed in recent years, the UK does indeed require a bankrupt to surrender his or her passport. This is the case whether bankruptcy proceedings were initiated by either debtor or creditor's petition.

A bankrupt has no obligation in the UK to surrender his passport. In extreme cases the receiver will ask the court for an injunction requiring this in order for current assets to be safeguarded. Normally in business insolvencies. This is not the case in Australia and New Zealand ,otherwise law is the same.

My advice get a new 10 year passport: non immigrant O visas;

The only problem possible is that you would probably be required for bankruptcy hearing and non show could lead to a warrant for arrest. Get an insolvency advisor, some are free. If possible agree to pay small amounts every month, interest can be frozen and the loan is often reduced depending on circumstances.If you have no assets in UK, bankruptcy would be of little use compared to a few quid every month.

With regard to Debt Collection in Thailand anyone taking on a debt of less than 100,000 quid would be mad unless they are sure the person has large assets over here. Bully Boy tactics would not go down well if the original debt is with a reputable company. Besides, who can't hire counter bully boys for 10,000 baht :o