True Internet, Changing Wifi Modems

Spoonman

Okies, I have the need for a modem with more than 1 Ethernet port so i have to change.

Ive gone out and purchased a new modem namely a TP-Link TD-W8901G, before i disconnected the true modem i wrote down all the settings.

Plug in the new modem, entered all the settings exactly as they were on the true modem and nada, nothing, the dsl light just flashes so im obviously not connecting....

Any ideas ??

Edited by Spoonman

Did you enter your DSL user name and password into the modem/router? It has to log into the DSL system. Without that it won't connect. You might also need to contact True and give them the MAC address of the new router (shouldn't have to do this though on DSL).

Yes, correct usename and password have been entered.

it just seems this thing wont recognize True, is it possible its not a compatible modem, shouldnt be, it the same specs as the supplied one on different brand with 3 extra ethernet ports.

interestingly, i plugged my spare linksys modem, ive had it connecting with true before its not wifi though and i need wifi for the laptop, it too now is suffering the same non connectivity symptoms.

Edited by Spoonman

vpi=0

vci=100

mtu=1492

Still no luck

After making changes to a router, you need to save and reboot the router to keep the changes permanent.

When making changes to a wireless router, connect your laptop to it using an ethernet cable to port 1. This will ensure there is no lost of connectivity during the modifications.

After making changes to a router, you need to save and reboot the router to keep the changes permanent.

When making changes to a wireless router, connect your laptop to it using an ethernet cable to port 1. This will ensure there is no lost of connectivity during the modifications.

Yup using port1 for the ethernet, im sure i rebooted the modem, but meh.... i'll double check, im running out of options !!!

My setting is MTU 1400; MRU 1492

Has the other end of the connecting cord been pulled out of the wall socket by any chance (always rule out the easy things first). Can you connect with your old modem?

MTU = MRU and should be of the same value, 1492 for PPPoE.

MTU = maximum transmission unit

MRU = maximum receive unit

Only MSS is different and 40 less than MTU or MRU.

MSS = maximum segment size

Ok, i did a hard reset of the modem, doubled checked all the settings/username/password of the true supplied modem and entered them accordingly into the new modem, rebooted both the modem and my PC..... same deal, nothing.

the new modem has the DSL light flashing slowly (according to the manual its trying to establish connection)....it does exactly the same with the adsl line unplugged ???

Has the other end of the connecting cord been pulled out of the wall socket by any chance (always rule out the easy things first). Can you connect with your old modem?

cord is defo connected, ive even swapped it out for a new, tried a combo of using the splitter and not using the splitter (i dont currently as i have no telephone).

Yes the "old" modem connects, im posting via it.

yeah, was kinda trying to avoid doing that trogers as i hate multiple stuff connected together when an all in one will do, hence i spent $$$$ on a new wifi modem rather than use the 4 port wifi router i have here already.

Gotta be a reason why this one wont set up, ive emailed true support so hopefully they have some answers, seems kinda weird my 4 port non wifi linksys modem was working but is now having the same issue.