Tipping / Gifting Apartment Staff, Maids, Security, Etc?

digibum

I've had my maid for 3 years and have never tipped her anything and she seems very happy with the job. Her pay is 1,000 baht to come twice a week (used to be 1,500 for three times per week but didn't need the extra day). I recently changed laundry services and the new one charges extra for socks and underwear and she started taking my socks and underwear to her house to clean them, free of charge (here idea, not mine - I didn't even know until after she started doing it) - so on top of the smiles and longevity, there is another indicator she is happy with the job I think. Edit-I also moved about six months ago and even though she primarily works in my old building, servicing lots of apartments there, she volunteered to come with me to the new building at no extra charge.

So tips not necessary in my experience, though I don't know what they expect - they would certainly appreciate it I'm sure. Though I'm in the habit of not giving Thai people money simply because its a little to you and a lot to them - they tend to get used to this and want/expect more and more and it can cross the line to where I feel taken advantage of. Better to just give them what they expect and are perfectly happy with to begin with.

Edited by DegenFarang

I've had my maid for 3 years and have never tipped her anything and she seems very happy with the job. Her pay is 1,000 baht to come twice a week (used to be 1,500 for three times per week but didn't need the extra day). I recently changed laundry services and the new one charges extra for socks and underwear and she started taking my socks and underwear to her house to clean them, free of charge (here idea, not mine - I didn't even know until after she started doing it) - so on top of the smiles and longevity, there is another indicator she is happy with the job I think. Edit-I also moved about six months ago and even though she primarily works in my old building, servicing lots of apartments there, she volunteered to come with me to the new building at no extra charge.

So tips not necessary in my experience, though I don't know what they expect - they would certainly appreciate it I'm sure. Though I'm in the habit of not giving Thai people money simply because its a little to you and a lot to them - they tend to get used to this and want/expect more and more and it can cross the line to where I feel taken advantage of. Better to just give them what they expect and are perfectly happy with to begin with.

Of course...keep them as low on the totem pole of culture as possible.

OK, this is not the U.S, this is Thailand. Your anser is none. Absolutely none. That is not the culture here. I am an American and I had a lot to learn once outside the U.S. The fact is that the tipping attitude of the U.S. is not continuous around the world and you need to get over it. Difficult, I know. But bringing the U.S greed and expectations here (or anywhere) is just bad. Simply bad. OK, enough of my ranting. If you want to be a tourist and throw your money around, that is up to you, but stop and think.

Dude, calm down. Don't worry, I won't ruin the country for you. You're still safe not to tip. I'm guessing British. Worst tippers in all of Europe.

All I was asking is IF there is an expectation. A simple yes or no suffices.

Great Christmas attitude though. Merry Christmmas

British??? I think him saying "I am an american" sort of gives it away dude..

OP is probably American.. Ready fire aim and all that..

If I tip people New year and or Chinese new year is more appropriate..

............. Expecting tips is coming in far more here now, even launderettes/ ice cream shops in the tourist area have a tipping box lying about somewhere, i was even asked for a tip by my taxi driver coming up for Pattaya to BKK the other day, he'ld have got one if he listened to me and didnt drive like a maniac.

I find this spreading anywhere there are westerners as well. Taxis, even motorbike taxi guys ask for it and yet they have no idea why a tip is generated. Doing your job is not enough. I find it sad and a little irritating that places where you would never tip in the west have the begging bowl out, such as the mini mart.

I used to give the security guys something on New Year as I did my regular motorbike guys (who I have run errants and go out of the way for things on occasion) and I guess had I had a maid working for some time before New Year then I might have added something to her pay packet for the end of December or as one said, perhaps Songkran.

In Patong the 7-11 girls are trying it one with 'tip for me' for ringing up the dam_n till..

I tip those who do their job well without causing me aggravation or extra money. Here that is hard to find, that's why I do it.

Well said!

Example:

If I get in a taxi and he takes me where I want to go, drives safely and is polite he gets a tip.

My old post office forwards mail to me - although they do not need to by post office policy - they get a gift basket at New Years. I used to give a bottle of Scotch to the manager but have changed to a healthy gift basket for the whole office.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tipping tradition in Thailand ?

NO !! so I do it for my own selfish reason:

Garbage man clear my mountain of garden refuse without making a comment - all the time & keep the front of my house

tidy by hauling anything: tip at Christmas/NewYear for sure plus at Songkran ! They have an unpleasant job & they spare

me - having to rent a pickup to clear excessive garbage.

Security guard - prevent the theft of my Cocker Spaniel while he was in heat and somebody come around in a pickup with

a female in heat .... that's why his tip is justified ! Not to mention when I / we go out he'll patrol my house more often

even checked the doors/windows. That's NOT his job as per contract - but that's SERVICE !! Tip justified.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just my personal opinion here , at least I can afford the THB 100-200 and it will not send me to the poorhouse and

the garbageman/ security guard can afford some extra's at the dining table that night, just simple gesture.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose the theory of tipping, as imported from the US, is that separating off a discretionary service-related component to be paid alongside the basic wage is an incentive to better performance. The problem arises when this comes to be expected to the point that failure to tip causes bad feelings and the incentive aspect is fatally weakened. The theory is similar to that of bankers' bonuses. I prefer the old-fashioned approach of fair basic salaries. Regarding the Brit bashing earlier in the thread, all I can say is that some older people have distant memories of candy bars from nice US servicemen, and how later the UK felt the impact of the bill for Lend Lease. Could this old folk memory be part of the reason why Brits are deeply uncomfortable with Yanks who seem to throw their money around but know where their economic interests lie when the chips are down? :)

I usually tip if someone does something a little extra in performing their job. However I can recall a Thai taxi driver aggressively demanding a tip from my Thai spouse at the airport as soon as we got out of the Taxi. He ended up with SFA with that attitude. I think you Yanks should leave automatic tipping back in the states where it belongs. Just my 2 bob's worth.

What does tipping have to do with keeping people low on cultural totem poles? I wasn't implying I like to 'keep Thai people in their place'. If anything I think it is demeaning to give people more money 'to be nice', this puts you in the position of showing them pity and not simply respecting them for doing they work they do for you.

............. Expecting tips is coming in far more here now, even launderettes/ ice cream shops in the tourist area have a tipping box lying about somewhere, i was even asked for a tip by my taxi driver coming up for Pattaya to BKK the other day, he'ld have got one if he listened to me and didnt drive like a maniac.

I find this spreading anywhere there are westerners as well. Taxis, even motorbike taxi guys ask for it and yet they have no idea why a tip is generated. Doing your job is not enough. I find it sad and a little irritating that places where you would never tip in the west have the begging bowl out, such as the mini mart.

I used to give the security guys something on New Year as I did my regular motorbike guys (who I have run errants and go out of the way for things on occasion) and I guess had I had a maid working for some time before New Year then I might have added something to her pay packet for the end of December or as one said, perhaps Songkran.

In Patong the 7-11 girls are trying it one with 'tip for me' for ringing up the dam_n till..

Don't eat yellow snow would have been my answer

But I do have to tip for service

makes me feel better

What does tipping have to do with keeping people low on cultural totem poles? I wasn't implying I like to 'keep Thai people in their place'. If anything I think it is demeaning to give people more money 'to be nice', this puts you in the position of showing them pity and not simply respecting them for doing they work they do for you.

Okay, point taken. Let me rephrase -- you're cheap. They're poor, you're comparatively rich. Spread the wealth around just a tiny, tiny bit.

Edited by phetaroi

OK, this is not the U.S, this is Thailand. Your anser is none. Absolutely none. That is not the culture here. I am an American and I had a lot to learn once outside the U.S. The fact is that the tipping attitude of the U.S. is not continuous around the world and you need to get over it. Difficult, I know. But bringing the U.S greed and expectations here (or anywhere) is just bad. Simply bad. OK, enough of my ranting. If you want to be a tourist and throw your money around, that is up to you, but stop and think.

Wow, kyb789 ... now that's the Christmas spirit. Actually I find that giving a small tip to those who serve me here in Thailand often has several payoffs for me ... especially from those that serve me regularly. Not only do I feel good doing it, but various bars and restaurants I frequent always take very good care of me when I come in ... e.g., the staff always find a good seat for me, no matter how crowded, I get an especially big fish, etc.. Also, my security guys take especially good care of me, like running out to get food for me at 2 am. And, you know, it's not always abut the money per se ... it's also a way of showing respect which goes even further than the cash.

I don't have a problem with tipping for good service, whether at a restaurant or good services rendered... & to say The Thai's don't expect tips, is absolute rubbish... :) often this money is to help family back home... or help them survive through the slow season.... I heard that on my very first trip to Thailand... & is why you see tip boxes at resorts etc ... the money is shared around all the staff.

Before I retired I was in a service industry, most of my customers tipped me well...

I find that tipping here (not excessively) usually assures good service, from service people if you need them again. ... you get to the top of the "Queue" more often than not.

One thing I don't like is when the contractor says "Up to you" for payment for services, that happen to me today, I had some electrical problems which got fixed within hours, two guys spent several hours fixing wiring in the hot attic, & even re-plastered the holes they had to make.... it's Sunday too! I was impressed, that you sure would not find in the west! So I ended up giving 300 baht, which they seemed happy with! ... & a couple of Beers when they finished... they deserved it!...

But going to the original question, about tipping at Christmas, no (since Christmas is not a Thai/ Buddhist thing...) but the New Year, yes, to people who go out of their way to be genuinely kind or useful through out the year ... I have no problem with that... it gets paid back many times over.... :D I get lots of things done for "free"... "I no want money".... I've heard that a number of times

Edited by samuijimmy

And that epitomises where tipping has taken us. Can you imagine, even in the world centre of absurd tipping, the good ol' US of A, the 7/11 shop assistant begging for tips when you buy a bottle of water ?

And yet suckers and the just plain stupid must be giving it. In my old condo block they put a box out next to the till. They also used to try and rob you charging "their2 price for crisps when packets had a price in the packet design. They were too stupid to see that logic as well.

In the Pig and Whistle earlier this year, I checked out after a couple of days stay and they wanted a tip, even suggesting that I give them the Bt250 key deposit. I'm sorry but I pulled them up to the manager. It has gotten out of hand and the original reason, if there actually ever was a justifiable one, has been lost completely.

But going to the original question, about tipping at Christmas, no (since Christmas is not a Thai/ Buddhist thing...) but the New Year, yes, to people who go out of their way to be genuinely kind or useful through out the year ... I have no problem with that... it gets paid back many times over.... :) I get lots of things done for "free"... "I no want money".... I've heard that a number of times

Good post.

The only thing I would say about not tipping at Christmas is that the tipping here in the condo that I will do will be at New Years. One of my original plans, however, was on Christmas to have food for the workers here. That didn't work out for a couple of non-related problems (SO out of town being one). However, it's not always just about doing what the Thais do (at least for me), sometimes it's about what I, as an American, do and believe. Decorating for Christmas or displaying a flag on the 4th of July (along with a Thai flag, of course) or perhaps tipping at Christmas says something about me, and my experience is that Thais love to be included in the fun.

Wow, kyb789 ... now that's the Christmas spirit. Actually I find that giving a small tip to those who serve me here in Thailand often has several payoffs for me ... especially from those that serve me regularly. Not only do I feel good doing it, but various bars and restaurants I frequent always take very good care of me when I come in ... e.g., the staff always find a good seat for me, no matter how crowded, I get an especially big fish, etc.. Also, my security guys take especially good care of me, like running out to get food for me at 2 am. And, you know, it's not always abut the money per se ... it's also a way of showing respect which goes even further than the cash.

a- there is no Christmas spirit here, it is a Buddhist country. Any Christmas Spirit you are spreading is inside your head - you alone are experiencing it, not the person you are 'spreading' it to. if you want to give because it makes you feel good, great, go ahead and do it - but its not going to make them feel anything other than happy that they have a typical dumb farang boss (or customer) that doesn't understand customs and likes to be loose with his money.

b- i agree tipping the people you mentioned can get you better service - i even tip my security guards for this reason, though only when they do things for me which are not in their job description and i know they would never do if they weren't going to get tipped for it - you should know the smiles you receive when you walk in the door of those establishments and see those people, are not genuine. they are happy to see your wallet, and nothing more. just the same as all of those girls on Soi Cowboy telling you you are handsome - they just want your Baht.

c- it is not a way of showing respect. you cannot buy the respect of other people. it is a way of buying fake smiles and fake friendship with people, sure. but you will earn their true respect by speaking thai, wai'ing in appropriate situations, always taking your shoes off when appropriate etc. by naturally respecting their culture as if you are a part of it - not by throwing around your money to everybody with their hand out (which thai people do not do)

Edited by DegenFarang

a- there is no Christmas spirit here, it is a Buddhist country. Any Christmas Spirit you are spreading is inside your head - you alone are experiencing it, not the person you are 'spreading' it to. if you want to give because it makes you feel good, great, go ahead and do it - but its not going to make them feel anything other than happy that they have a typical dumb farang boss (or customer) that doesn't understand customs and likes to be loose with his money.

b- i agree tipping the people you mentioned can get you better service - i even tip my security guards for this reason, though only when they do things for me which are not in their job description and i know they would never do if they weren't going to get tipped for it - you should know the smiles you receive when you walk in the door of those establishments and see those people, are not genuine. they are happy to see your wallet, and nothing more. just the same as all of those girls on Soi Cowboy telling you you are handsome - they just want your Baht.

c- it is not a way of showing respect. you cannot buy the respect of other people. it is a way of buying fake smiles and fake friendship with people, sure. but you will earn their true respect by speaking thai, wai'ing in appropriate situations, always taking your shoes off when appropriate etc. by naturally respecting their culture as if you are a part of it - not by throwing around your money to everybody with their hand out (which thai people do not do)

That is a lot of rhetoric just to say, "I'm a cheapskate". Playing the Buddhist/Christmas card really doesn't fly as it is so close to The New Year's holiday. however, if it makes you feel better to compose a list of excuses, go for it! 'Tis the season....

That is a lot of rhetoric just to say, "I'm a cheapskate". Playing the Buddhist/Christmas card really doesn't fly as it is so close to The New Year's holiday. however, if it makes you feel better to compose a list of excuses, go for it! 'Tis the season....

It isn't about being cheap. I don't like to feel taken advantage of or to be treated fake-nice knowing that the only reason the person is treating me that way is because of money. When I started out in Thailand I was very loose with money - I much prefer the way people treat me now that I don't give them more than is necessary.

It isn't about being cheap. I don't like to feel taken advantage of or to be treated fake-nice knowing that the only reason the person is treating me that way is because of money. When I started out in Thailand I was very loose with money - I much prefer the way people treat me now that I don't give them more than is necessary.

Dear Ebeneezer,

To each his own.

Sincerely,

Jacob Marley

Quote:

(which thai people do not do)

Actually some do! :D I get taken out for a good dinner at least once a month by my land lord & his wife... more expensive meals than I ever buy too, & Heiniken beer!... chaufer driven as well! :D

I've never really thought of it as a "tip" but really it is, as I help them with garden projects... & I know they appreciate it... keeps me "thin & trim" & I enjoy doing it... it sure beats sitting around boring farangs in the bar all day & everyday! :)

Edited by samuijimmy

Quote:

(which thai people do not do)

Actually some do! :D I get taken out for a good dinner at least once a month by my land lord & his wife... more expensive meals than I ever buy too, & Heiniken beer!... chaufer driven as well! :D

I've never really thought of it as a "tip" but really it is, as I help them with garden projects... & I know they appreciate it... keeps me "thin & trim" & I enjoy doing it... it sure beats sitting around boring farangs in the bar all day & everyday! :)

I wouldn't really call that them throwing money around or over-compensating you to be nice. Even I wouldn't fail to offer some form of compensation to somebody who regularly helped me with garden projects (or something similar) whether direct money or some other way. Not at least offering something to you would be extremely rude I think. I'm not advocating anybody being rude - just doing what is normal and what is expected. Not throwing money around for the sake of throwing money around because "oh all the poor Thai people I'm such a rich Farang I can help them out of their misery with my Baht" is extremely naive and arrogant and even though they smile when you do it, they are thinking less of you on the inside.