What Can I Do In Lamai With 3 Million Thai B

Why are you in such a hurry to leave the uk for thailand?, biggest mistakes i made was to beg my english ex girlfriend and mother of my daughter to buy me out of our four bedroom house so that I could move over to thailand to look after a bargirl. All my money was gone within month, i missed my daughter and realised what a big mistake I made chasing unrealistic dreams in Thailand.

When I got back to the uk my ex gf had sold our house and moved with our daughter, her family say's she wont ever return and never wants to see me again as I'd been sleeping and looking after a Thai Prosi, as they put it and guess what it's true. Thai women use english men and then dump you when you have no money .

What[ affairs are you leaving behaind in the uk, have you any children?

quote=samuiDarbs,2005-04-22 15:54:32]

hello every 1

iam a regular visitor to Thailand samui /pattaya /rayong samet you get the idea

been about 12 times and have finally sorted my affairs out in the uk so I will be able to pack up and move to samui

next June/ July 2006 . I will have a bit of money to rent a small bungalow house for about 8000 a month

I will have roughly 3 million bhat in total that's cutting all ties and burning a few bridges in the uk

so don't no how long this money will last out there, i dont plan on going back with my tail between my legs to quickley

what do I do if iam planning on staying long term .Rent then build a cheap place or what ?.I work from home allot on my website which hopefully I can spend more time on out there so might be able to live off that but if i cant what should /could i invest in ?

also visa runs is there a way round them after you've been there a while ?also Bank accounts ?

iam popping back over on the 20th of July for a week or so just to chat to people and have a little look around lamai

iam looking around lamai as its cheaper than chaweng .and my money might go abit further

my money wont last for ever any advice would be greatly appreciated

SamuiDarbs

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SamuiDarbs:

I would be inclined to google looking for "withdrawal calculators" that may help with your descision.

An example would be below:

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/

As for investing in Thailand, my attitude is "never", except for money I can afford to lose. I plan to keep my money invested in my home country in a diversified, low cost, world portfolio. Meanwhile, I continue working until I have enough saved, so that if I retire permanently in Thailand, I can, and enough for backup, so that if Thailand doesn't work out, I can always go elsewhere. I'll never be rich, but then again I never, ever want to be poor.

All the best, whatever you decide.

Why oh why do so many people with so little knowledge of what is available here in Thailand eagerly give advice that would possibly prevent an individual from making his/her home here.

I would agree that at this time in Thailand it is not prudent for a non National to invest in Land/Property for the reasons quoted and the simple fact that if any non National has to go to the lengths currently open to them to have control, the system isn't set up to favour the farang. The fact that with gigery pokery it can be done only serves to give employment and profit to the hoard of thai lawyers who know how to use the loop holes currently existing in Thai law. All those loop holes can be closed for the farang at any time. While Thai law prevents the non Thai from Having the same basic rights, representation and opportunities as the thai, the non thai should always treat themselves merely as a guest. Guests eventually have to leave.

However as far as investing here in Thailand, there are ways where the farang and the thai can invest here with legal title and the protection of international law of ownership where any coup (withi reason) or change of government or monarchy cannot affect. The investments are protected and the proceeds are redeemable in a selection of countries around the world so the individual doesn't ever have to come here again should they so wish. The annualized returns are among the highest available anywhere in the world today.

Those who are not aware of this should bone up before slating everything.

Teach.

The fact is that Thailand is still a developing country and economically a small one at that. You won't find it listed in an EAFE (Europe, Asia, Far East) index fund. It's regarded as an emerging market. The country's total market capitilization represents only 2.7% of an emerging markets index fund.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?F2271141B

>>>Those who are not aware of this should bone up before slating everything.<<<

Teach:

I certainly don't know what you do or don't know, but maybe some on this board know more than you think. One thing I am definitely not doing is telling people what to do or what not to do as regards to investing in Thailand. Just as long as they realize the risks involved in doing so, they can make up their own minds.

>>>The annualized returns are among the highest available anywhere in the world today.<<<

Oh, and by the way, past annualized returns tell you nothing about future returns, on that I can assure you. Don't believe me. Think back to the mid-nineties when investors around the world were buying emerging market funds like they were the greatest thing going. That was until 97 when the Asian crisis hit.

Where is Thailand's stock market now? Just slightly above where it peaked all these years ago.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=%5ESETI&t=my

• 2 weeks later...
However as far as investing here in Thailand, there are ways where the farang and the thai can invest here with legal title and the protection of international law of ownership where any coup (withi reason) or change of government or monarchy cannot affect.
Why invest in a country where you have to look for such ways to protect yourself? The rule of law in LOS hangs on a tiny thread, while there are many places where your investments are safeguarded by solid democracy. Sure, you have Enrons etc, but no investment is without risk.

The growth potential of any investment in LOS does not justify the high risk of doing business here., where farang are merely tolerated, not welcome.

Thai women use english men and then dump you when you have no money .

I really am sorry that you had such an experience where you lost everything. It is a far too common story. But in the end you have only yourself to blame. To state that 'Thai women.... ' is grossly unfair if you pick up a bar girl and suddenly expect her to not look out for herself and her family first. You could not possibly have built a close enough relationship with such a girl of such a different culture in a short time, that she would think of you first. You should have realized this.

Many Thai women will stick with their foreign husband/boyfriend against all odds and without money, for love alone. Just like anywhere else.

Why are you in such a hurry to leave the uk for thailand?, biggest mistakes i made was to beg my english ex girlfriend and mother of my daughter to buy me out of our four bedroom house so that I could move over to thailand to look after a bargirl. All my money was gone within month, i missed my daughter and realised what a big mistake I made chasing unrealistic dreams in Thailand.

When I got back to the uk my ex gf had sold our house and moved with our daughter, her family say's she wont ever return and never wants to see me again as I'd been sleeping and looking after a Thai Prosi, as they put it and guess what it's true. Thai women use english men and then dump you when you have no money .

thanks for the advice good and bad

well at the moment my job as gone wonkie and am on allot less money now iam 27 then I was

when I was 18 . I bought a place a few years ago when mortgage rates were good 3.5%

now iam paying 6% which leaves me unable to pay rent on my house and my mortgage

I don't get on with my sons mum even though I live with her ,

ive had enough here ,why not start a fresh and try again somewhere new

I have been Thailand plenty of times and will be over for a holiday in 6 or 7 weeks time

so its not like I have no idea of there culture or customs

if it goes tits up within 6 months I will come back ,not the end of the world

life's to short to piss and moan what if what if

As for investing in Thailand, my attitude is "never", except for money I can afford to lose.

basically ive decided not to invest in Thailand just live there

I will just sit on my money leave it in the uk

maybe just work on my website get enough money to get buy day to day

I don't plan on being rich just happy

iam sure most people can understand how bad it can be living in London

at this moment in time I serenely don't want to grow old here

better I come to LOS sooner rather than later

still every 1 is intituled to there opinion

As for investing in Thailand, my attitude is "never", except for money I can afford to lose.

basically ive decided not to invest in Thailand just live there

I will just sit on my money leave it in the uk

maybe just work on my website get enough money to get buy day to day

I don't plan on being rich just happy

iam sure most people can understand how bad it can be living in London

at this moment in time I serenely don't want to grow old here

better I come to LOS sooner rather than later

still every 1 is intituled to there opinion

sD

You have made a good decision. No hurry, life is long, especially for someone only 27. If you have a house in London hang on to it.

Chookdee na

... I recommend you quickly double (or even triple) your money in the Thai stock market then consider your additional options.

If you can quadruple your money first all the better...

... even better is if you can triple-quadruple, but do it quickly....

Everybody's doing it, that's how we got our Thai Elite cards ... :o

:o WHY DO YOU GUYS LIVE HERE?????

I thought the idea of a forum was to give good solid advice to those that ask the question. I to am considering a move to Thailand and have askesd the same question more or less on the Pattaya forum and got a very different response. Reading these responses makes me want to weep and avoid Samui like the plague because you all sound depressed. Life in Hum Drum UK is not very cheap, houses are so exspensive now that the cheapest house in the UK is around £150k so people leave for different reasons and when they come to you guys it sound like Samui is the pits.

I have considered Samui but the schooling wasn't great for the lad so we knocked that one on the head, but that doesn't make Samui bad. Please give this chap some good advice and not negative advice all the time and ask yourselfs why are you here? Is it because most of you have opened a bar and found out the hard way, or is it you don't want others to eat into your pound of flesh incase they do a better job.

I know I'm new to this forum but like many other forums throughout the world those that shout the lousdest have fallen the hardest. My advice is to take your time when you get here and don't buy into the first offer that comes along. rent don't buy, and allways if you need it have enough to come home. But most of all find your feet and enjoy yourself and the rest will happen in its own time.

Cheer up Samui :D

Shakeydave

I thought the idea of a forum was to give good solid advice to those that ask the question

thanks for the support

I get the impression most forum members are trying to do me a favour by pointing

out the negatives so I don't lose everything on a silly dream /idea what ever you want to call it

and to the answer to that question someone said keep your home in the uk

HOW I was renting it out for £650 and my mortgage is £826 now even I no this doesn't add up

at the moment its sitting empty so I am losing every day .and I have service charges £220

every quarter , not worth it

England isn't all its cracked up to be .Sure if your not English its fine

free free everything .

well I will becoming even if I don't have 10 mill as most people would expect

so what if I only have 3,5 mill thb rather blow it in the sun .having fun than give it to Tony Blair

cheers

>>>Please give this chap some good advice and not negative advice all the time<<<

shakeydave:

What would you like me to do, lie to him and tell him everything will be great, and his money will last at least a couple of decades or more. Sorry, no can do.

>>>so what if I only have 3,5 mill thb rather blow it in the sun, having fun<<<

samuiDarbs:

For some people "fun" equates to just lying in a hammock, strolling along the beach, and swimming in the ocean. If it's paid fun, then that will certainly affect how long your savings last. If you don't believe the figures I gave you, then figure out what you think your average weekly costs will be in Samui, and if there's such a thing in London, try and find a fee only financial planner who will charge you an hourly rate to find out how long your savings will last. That's if you want to find out.

I'm in a very similar position to samuiDarbs. I live in the UK, make a small income from a website and have a house here I'm looking at selling shortly. I've looked into buying a house on Samui and the figures just don't add up to me. One of the early replies said to leave the money in the bank and use the interest to pay the rent on a house. That sounds like the best solution to me. I'm not sure what current interest rates are, I think someone quoted 8.5% but that seems a bit high. Even at 5% you'd only need 30 - 40 K sitting in a UK bank to pay the rent on a decent Samui house, and surely it is a lot safer? my opinion is that the UK property bubble is about to burst and interest rates will rise, simply because there is so much debt in the UK now and not enough industry to support it for much longer. Money in the bank is the safest strategy IMHO. Not that I'm saying nobody should buy a place in Thailand, just that if you do it should because you really want a place in Thailand, not because you think it's a great investment

Edited by systemshock

Systemshock. Nice too see someone who can calculate.

Your last sentence says it all. But even then you should be aware of the pitfalls. Areas that look nice now can change very quick. I see big changes in 5-6 months, nobody knows what will happen in a few years. Try to sell an old house when everybody wants to build their own or buy new. It will be almost impossible.

I love(d) Samui but i am thinking of moving to a better place. Never thought it would change so much and so fast. I rent so i can go whenever i want. Other people i know are stuck, only because they used their money to buy and don't have enough cash to be able to move. Not to talk about people with thai spouses who seperate, unable to sell because of wrongly setup companies, lease contracts etc..

Headaches headaches.

With rent you are trouble free, when you don't like it anymore.. move on.

"Invest in land,they don't make it anymore...."

Seems to be the mantra of most on samui.

After all its only 40kx40k

3m wont buy much though now unfort,maybe one rai enough to build two houses.

Systemshock. Nice too see someone who can calculate.

Your last sentence says it all. But even then you should be aware of the pitfalls. Areas that look nice now can change very quick. I see big changes in 5-6 months, nobody knows what will happen in a few years. Try to sell an old house when everybody wants to build their own or buy new. It will be almost impossible.

I love(d) Samui but i am thinking of moving to a better place. Never thought it would change so much and so fast. I rent so i can go whenever i want. Other people i know are stuck, only because they used their money to buy and don't have enough cash to be able to move.  Not to talk about people with thai spouses who seperate, unable to sell because of wrongly setup companies, lease contracts etc..

Headaches headaches.

With rent you are trouble free, when you don't like it anymore.. move on.

3m wont buy much though now unfort,maybe one rai enough to build two houses.

Total utter nonsense!!! If you can be bothered to get off your A*** and spend time looking there is plenty at a million and under per rai. Of course if your only source of info is the flashy estate agents here then more fool you!!!! Get a jeep,find a good THAI to help you and start looking - you'll be shown a myriad of rubbish before you find a good bit but at least you did the leg-work and have a feel for the REAL value not the HYPED value :o

You are right. Plenty for sale, starting from 300.000 baht per rai.

Unfortunately it is not "nice" land. Somewhere up a mountain or in the "jungle". If you want to live on an island most want to be close to a beach or some closeness to the sea. If it is not the sea you are interested in better go to the mainland. Much better prices. BTW The coast from Chumphon to Surat is very nice and land at the beach can be bought from around 800.000 per rai.

You are right. Plenty for sale, starting from 300.000 baht per rai.

Unfortunately it is not "nice" land. Somewhere up a mountain or in the "jungle". If you want to live on an island most want to be close to a beach or some closeness to the sea. If it is not the sea you are interested in better go to the mainland. Much better prices. BTW The coast from Chumphon to Surat is very nice and land at the beach can be bought from around 800.000 per rai.

i wonder how much the land is around Donsak? I really like the sceanery there, with the limestone rocks, like a minature Krabi. Shame the sea is so dirty.

land close to the beach starts at about 1.5M/rai in Ko Phangan, I know I'm selling some.

LaoPo,

I like to live in Thailand and Samui is (was) a good starting point for me. I found out i like to be further away from tourism. It has some advantages to be living close to a tourist place but it is taking over everything Thai.

Our 2 children are now 2 and 3 years old. My wife and I both like to see many places. Still have 2-3 years left to do that. When the children have to go to school i don't want to move for a long period. Stability at an age of 5-6 will be important and moving around will not be that good for them. It will be a difficult search to find a good place with good schools. Even other countries are not ruled out at this moment. Ok.. one country is ruled out. :o

We at least want to see Australia and China. Who knows where we will end up. At this moment Australia, area Brisbane, is on our radar. We probably will stay around there for 6-12 months.

In Thailand the area from HuaHin, Prachuap Khirikhan to Chumphon looks inviting. We will try a few places along that coast too. I have been there many times but not for a long time to really see how the places are.

To get back a bit on topic. I also found out it is not easy to do legitimate business here, especially on Samui where prices are rediculous. Contracts are difficult/unreliable workpermit not easy to obtain etc.etc.

a few million baht gets you nowhere, it will allow you to stay a few years but then... I see so many places that were succesfull only to find out when it is time to extend their contracts the landlords ask too much rent and outrages amounts of keymoney. Not a good environment to invest money or start a business. Samui especially has too many shops, bars and restaurants compared to the number of acommodations that are available.

I am speaking from the viewpoint of living long term not only a few years. For a few years you can take a shot and try something but there will always be something looming in the back if you want to make it permanent.

I am experiencing it myself now on a very small scale. I have an internet shop which i closed for 1.5 months to visit my homecountry. In that short moment two other shops opposite of mine are doing exactly the same. They did not even research the area for competition! First it was not difficult for me to be in my "own" shop (on my wifes name of course). Now we have direct competition. I know we are better because the new ones don't know anything from computers and internet, have no idea how to print, chat or anything else. Customers still come to my place, a farang place, while their shops are completely empty. If you live here long enough you know what will happen. Now i have to be careful to set foot in my "own" shop. I don't work but someone might think so. Imagine if you have a lot of money invested, you will be a bigger target. Honest competition is unknown. Other tactics are used. Instead of confrontations it is easier, better and cheaper to avoid it. We not really need the money we make in the shop, it is more of a hobby. For the other ones who now have debts it will be a struggle. We give them a change and do something else. Enough hobbies. :D

So what about living in Samui. Well the first 6 months are nice, like an extended holiday. After that you are seeing very unfriendly and even dangerous people, garbage everywhere, noise pollution. Really stupid tourists. Many very negative things.

On the other hand very friendly people, nice restaurants, beaches. The positives still outweigh the negatives but not with a large margin.

Renting a house with a max period of 3 years, not really sure if you can extend it and for what price. Not the best conditions to have a "home". Buying is for me too expensive when compared to renting. And the impossibility to outright own land and house is not helping too.

Khun Jean,

see here:

your quote

At this moment Australia, area Brisbane, is on our radar. We probably will stay around there for 6-12 months.

unquote

I know some people, a Dutch couple with a little daughter, a very very dear friend* of mine, living in Byron Bay. He has/had his business in Sydney but moving it right now to Byron Bay.

Unfortunately I've never been there but it might be on our schedule this summer.

If you like I can send you his details/phonenumber etc.

*unbelievable but true, I met this guy for the first time, walking, on Patong Beach/Phuket more than 25 years ago...deserted place then.

Very kind and honest people.

LaoPo

Slightly off subject, but Oz is not as easy as you might think if you are a foreigner. For example, you get a 3 month visa but you have to buy that and will have to do a visa 'run' every 3 months. Work permits are hard to get unless you have a spouse/sponsor. And you cannot buy second-hand properties there as a non resident, you can only buy brand new apartments or houses. Renting is very expensive unless you sign a 6 month lease. Unless the are froma country with a reciprocal medical agreement you will not be covered by medicare.