Airport Taxis On Strike

TAWP

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange... I took a taxi TO the airport today...no problem... and I didn't notice anything amiss while I was there.... (but I wasn't down on the ground floor where the normal departing taxis are clustered at the dispatch area for them.

I'm guessing if so many go on strike to protest, there probably will be an equal number happy to take their place...

So how exactly will this strike work? Taxis will refuse to take people to the airport because they won't get paid an extra 50 Baht for the return journey? What about people arriving, will they be left with just the limousines and other unofficial taxis, and perhaps a few non-striking cabs, presumably with horrendous queues due to the shortage of numbers? Can see that this could get messy...

Is that airport skytrain running yet?

Wasn't it supposed to be running (3rd or 4th schedule) on Dec. 7, 2009 ?

I hope this is not too far off topic:

I wonder how the security will be run for the airport sky train. I've never tried to take a large bag/suitcase on any skytrain, but when I have taken small shoulder bags on the underground MRT trains, the security person at the top of the entrance escalator has always made a reasonably thurough search of my bag. Does anyone know what, if any, security search will be required to board the airport skytrain?

Yes, it is what you see, but a lot more taxis are in the designated area waiting to be call.

i am totally for the 50 baht surcharge (if it go to the driver), plus I tip them very well if they give me a smooth ride back to my home after hours of flight.

Just to be clear; I'm not against the 50baht surcharge per se, if the taxi's that pick me up are approved and the kind that will never hassle regarding meter. I always pay and never complain. Taxi-fare isn't all to bad here.

Tawp if as you say is true, that it's not the drivers making the money, then why do we have so many?

Why do you think there are so many?

Is it not the case that there are many tourists who have little option? Where is the underground train that was due to start operations on the King's birthday?

Why have ThaiAir cancelled flying to Ubon Rachathani?

This Airport and its management has been a shambles from the day it opened.

Queue-jumping and cheats really make me angry in Thailand - particularly in taxi queues.

I would like to see taxi drivers arrested for picking up passengers at the departures level. There is (or used to be) a perfectly good taxi queuing system at arrivals, that included a trivial surcharge which recompensed the taxi drivers for their queuing time, and helped ensure that there were plentiful cheap and generally honest taxi drivers waiting at the airport. Once, or maybe twice in the probably thirty of forty times I've come back from the airport the taxi driver has cheated me of a few baht - probably 100 in the worst case - so the total fare still less than half the cost of a Yellow Airport Limo.

I don't know who pays for the people that give you the queing ticket and write your destination, but I think that is a useful service which is worth supporting. As I recall, is there not a chart showing indicative fares to various districts, which might put a bit of a damper on the "broken meter" taxis - anyway, never happened to me yet.

At Don Muang, where the taxi queing system didn't seem to work efficiently, rather than take a dishonest queue-jumping cheat form the departures level, I would go across the footbridge to get a legitimate taxi from the street - not for the sake of the 50 baht, but because of the queing time inside the airport. At Suv. that doesn't seem to be a problem.

I'd like to see taxi fares increase, so that perhaps they could improve the quality of their vehicles, and encourage them to leave their seat belts usable

SC

PS I think the fella saying he paid 2,500 a shift for his car was a customer, and that probably included driver and fuel. Seems a minimal premium to the cabbie's normal earnings to ensure good and faithful service - I reckon normal earnings about THB 2,400 per shift (say 4 trips to and from airport, or equivalent, or 4 short 50 baht trips per hour over a 12 hour shift). Probably suits the cabbie as he can sleep while the customer is in meetings etc. I'm probably over-estimating utilisation. I'm sure there's a QUantity Surveyor who could help on this. I have no idea how much LNG costs or how many km per litre / kilo / BTU...

Tawp if as you say is true, that it's not the drivers making the money, then why do we have so many?

In the developed world if a child has learning disabilities they send him to special schools etc. In SEA they become bus drivers. If he can count to 100 he can be a taxi driver.

It actually gets worse in Malaysia and Indonesia. Eg, you're walking past a rank of taxis, and there is no shortage of taxis passing on the street. Each driver will have to solicit you "Taxi?" as you walk past. They're not driving taxis because university was too boring. :)

Exactly ! If the job doesn't pay MOVE ON and find a another job. What a bunch of wimps ! Use your nounce That's what we learnt in Oz in the 50/60's. Bludging Bastards !

Its been 8 baht a litre for LPG/NGV for as long as I can remeber so their main cost has not increased.

What I don't comprehend (and don't give me the Thai logic answer) is that if a taxi drops someone off at the airport, they should be able to then pick someone up at the same time? Otherwise the driver ends up making an empty trip back from the airport. Its seems the pickup for the 50 baht is somewhat controlled and only those working for the taxi mafia can use it? I just don't get why the drop off and pickup cannot be at the same place at the top of the terminal? Wouldn't this been more efficient?

I'm currently out of Los and enjoying snippets of democracy juggle for position, naturally corrected Market prices for us all will be the equilibrium of all this !

But, relax - Khun Thatcher is closely monitoring the situation.

Xmas greetings to all from blighty.... Tis like wintery hel_l over here.

Wood

What's the source for this? I fly in this evening :)

I don't think there will be any change in operations. If there is, just go up to the departures level and find a taxi that has just dropped off a customer.

I think that once the express train to Suvarnibhummi opens, (it is supposed to open in April 2010), the airport taxis will be on their own. I for one will gladly take the city line, (there will be two lines, the express, and the city line), of the train one stop away and get a regular street taxi, just to thwart the taxi mafia.

What is the typical salary of most Thai workers? Many an aiport taxi will readily scam a foreigner i.e. go around in circles/ no meter etc. I wonder if someone got a taxi on Thonglor and went to the airport what does the taxi driver do re: compensation for the “ride back” to the city????? I see taxis – many many many – driving around at all hours of the night when logic might suggest there are fewer people needing a taxi. I do not feel any sorrow for their plight. If they were constantly loosing money would they continue their chosen profession?

I see your from the North east most drives are from there and you can't work out why they drive.

Factory worker will get around 250 THB basic a day with a few bits for performance bonus on top

They live in hope thats all it is.

I would prefer to pay more and be safe.

Taxi drivers are not the scum they are often painted as. They do in fact work long hours for very little.

My 'go-to guy' is a taxi driver and tells me what they earn and it isn't much. When the meter charge was raised this year it was cancelled out by the car owners charging more for the rent at the same time. Who saw the benefit?

If I keep poking myself in the eye, who would be to blame? Nobody forces these guys to do drive taxis.

This is a false dilemma, an either/or hypothetical situation. So, as far as your concerned, they can take it or leave it. It seems to me the taxi drivers are brighter than you, and know that there are other options and alternatives. If you play by the rules the house sets, who do you think is gonna win?

Many of the taxi drivers I talk to are sending money back to their families upcountry and there really aren't a lot of options for employment.

Have a little compassion.

Oh come on man. People should read up on the taxi situation before they visit Thailand. Anybody should know you ask them to turn on the meter or get out. They should stay at home in their own country and stop complaining about 50B surcharges. And if there was not taxis driving around people would be complaining that theres not enough taxis.

Whoa nellie. Ever get into an argument with a driver once your bag is in the trunk? He's more likely to take off with your bag if you don't pay him for the time he took to open the door. People that travel with bags are held hostage. I am not complaining about the 50B charge, but getting some drivers to respect the use of a meter is a hassle. The worse offenders are the taxis that park outside the hotels like Ambassador, President off Suki and that will refuse to use a meter to take you to the airport. They are in cahoots with the doormen at the hotels as they steer guests to certain taxis and get their kickback.

Phooie on the lot of them. The Skytrain service is coming at the right time. Screw all of them.

Actually felt bad for these guys last time I was at the airport. They had some ridiculous system setup where you have to checking through a desk and then get assigned to the first taxi. Except where you would usually find a line of tourists waiting to get a taxi - there was a huge line of taxi drivers waiting for a customer. I can't imagine at the rate they were going the end of the line would have had a customer within 3 hours.

You lot living in Bangkok should try finding a taxi here in Phuket for the same charge as a taxi in Bangkok... You don't know how lucky you are...What is the minimum charge there now? 39 baht? Well it was a couple of years ago. The tuk tuks here charge 200 baht for going 200 meters! As for finding one with a meter!!!!! hahahahahaha you must be joking! Double that price if it's raining!

Edited by melbat

don't pity the airport taxi drivers - read that correctly, since alot of people on thai visa have reading problems...i said - airport- taxi drivers.

The only reason they stay in the que is so they can screw over arriving passengers period.

why else would you wait on a que for an hour, oh thats right a small group of various mafias controls the airport specific routes going out from the airport.

hel_l with them.

try taking a taxi to a location close to the airport and see what their facial expressions are like.

im all for the 50baht fee but for god's sake please stop blaming the 'rental companies' as if the small guy is preyd on.

Most taxis drivers are dumb enough to rent the new expensive model(600 to 1500 a day) instead of renting an ok taxi(95-2000) for 250baht a day

Is that airport skytrain running yet?

LOL.......... HELLOOOOooo WE are in THAILAND........that one in Spore is fine, in Thailand it will take some more years to set up a NORMAL transportation systems to and from the airports.

Poor Taxi guys, there are too much on the roads anyway, if half of them will stop driving the other half dont have to complain so much anymore! ....but sorry I forgot, THAILAND....copy the neighbors idea is everything.

Suvarnabhumi airport taxis up in arms over surcharge

By The Nation

Published on December 25, 2009

Drivers protesting against change refuse to pick up travellers, as talks with officials continue

Some 900 legal airport taxis at Suvarnabhumi International Airport were refusing to pick up passengers yesterday, protesting a reported plan by Airports of Thailand (AOT) to change the Bt50 surcharge on taxi fares of arriving travellers.

Earlier, the Consumer Protection Board had asked the Parliament's Standing Committee for Commerce and Intellectual Property for the surcharge to be cancelled on the grounds it was unfair to passengers.

Wachairaphong Keawduang, an investigative police officer of Rachatheva Police Station, said the protesting taxi drivers claimed they had not been receiving the surcharge because it was split between AOT and the airport taxi management team.

The cabbies said the rumoured change would require them to pay the surcharge directly to AOT on behalf of their passengers, which was an unfair responsibility. If they were to lose the airport surcharge, they would not be able to cover their expenses.

The cabbies claimed some 5,000 taxis were on standby for passengers at the airport each day and each had to wait two hours on average for a fare.

They also called for AOT to move the departure taxi stand from the terminal's first floor to the second, because illegal taxis were snatching their passengers.

The AOT management and taxi driver representatives were, at time of press, still negotiating the issue. To alleviate inconvenience, AOT had contacted 12 taxi communication radio centres to arrange transport for airport users.

AOT deputy director Narongchai Thanantchangsaeng said the AOT would not implement the surcharge change for now, but admitted it was being discussed. Relocation of the taxi stand at the airport would also be reconsidered.

Land Transport Department chief Chairat Sanguansue said the cabbies misunderstood plans to change the surcharge. He said the department could not freeze the surcharge as it is an airport regulation, aimed at compensating them for their long wait for passengers. However, he said the department had also received complaints from a human rights committee, asking the agency to withdraw the surcharge in fairness to passengers.

According to Transport Ministry's rules, the surcharge has a ceiling of Bt100, but currently stands at Bt50, the same rate as Don Mueang Airport. Earlier, taxis had proposed increasing it from Bt50 to Bt70 when Suvarnabhumi Airport was opened, but without success .

Surapol Sritrakul, president of Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA) called on both sides to end the dispute as soon as possible. "We are in high season. Many foreigners will be coming into the country during the New Year season and they should experience good service," said Surapol.

AOT's president Serirat Prasutanond, said the company would try to solve this problem and also the question of illegal taxis at the airport.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/12/245

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

AOT's president Serirat Prasutanond, said the company would try to solve this problem and also the question of illegal taxis at the airport.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/12/245

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

It will most certainly be a white Christmas in Thailand if that happens. :)

Edited by mrtoad

More shuttle buses at every airport in Thailand - is what's needed.

Airports don't exist to accommodate taxis. Airports exist to accommodate passengers.

Convenience of getting to and fro is a prime factor for travelers.

Phuket, Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, and probably every other puddle jump airport in Thailand has a dearth of shuttle buses in to town. At best, they have mini-vans to big hotels/resorts. Same goes for the larger airports at Bkk.

The surplus of taxis/drivers which would ensue from such a sensible change would have to adapt to finding other ways of making a living. Same as buggy whip manufacturers at the turn of the 19th century. or 8-track cassette makers 30 years ago. People have to adapt to changing times.

]

There is no such thing as a 2-3h wait-time during normal hours of operations.

Every time I land at the airport from abroad I walk to the taxi-stand and see between 10 and 20 guys waiting and a line that is constantly moving. 30min I can believe...

WRONG! Clearly you have never ever seen the HOLD-area, which is beside the busterminal. There are most of times 100s, if not well over a 1000 taxi's waiting for their turn. Their are flagged off (so cannot really go out) by blocks-so that at arrivals there should be steady flow to arriving passengers. This is so that they do not obstruct all of the ramps into the terminal building.One major point is that times for departures and main arrivals times do not at all parrallel.

At old Don Muang it was quite easy to pick up locals along the main road. At swampy thats not possible-and the nearest public main road is Lard Krabang-with not that many demand.

Also note that at BUSstations like Mochit and Ekamai there is an official 20 bt surcharge for taximeters, and I believe also at HuaLamPong main station.

Please dot not post blatant incorrect opinions as facts before making sure how the situation is. This is really too much of a TV fenomenon giving the genral imprersion its a forum for nitwits and ill-informed fictional facts.

In the developed world if a child has learning disabilities they send him to special schools etc. In SEA they become bus drivers. If he can count to 100 he can be a taxi driver.

It actually gets worse in Malaysia and Indonesia. Eg, you're walking past a rank of taxis, and there is no shortage of taxis passing on the street. Each driver will have to solicit you "Taxi?" as you walk past. They're not driving taxis because university was too boring. :)

Exactly ! If the job doesn't pay MOVE ON and find a another job. What a bunch of wimps ! Use your nounce That's what we learnt in Oz in the 50/60's. Bludging Bastards !

Right...move on to what? Planting rice? Day labor at 200B a day or so? Which is not steady work. Go to college? Right...This ain't Oz. The opportunities are not here, and driving a taxi is a decent way to make a living. I know many...they are my relatives. They work their a** off and make next to nothing. Like another poster said, all the money goes home to support the family and they live 5-6 in a small studio in the slums. The big guys are the ones making the money...just like with everything else here in Thailand. The poor really do get taken advantage of.

I have had a few problems with taxis, but only a few. Sure, got the pitch at the old airport my first time here and took the 800B Mercedes to my hotel. Which for me, coming from New York City, was cheap! And I didn't have to wait in that dam_n queue after a 20+ hour flight. Actually, did that a few times after that also!

Yes, they pay 600-800B a shift or so for the taxi. Then another driver gets in and does another shift. I have rented them by the day for 2500B. Tough to beat. Get to sit in the back, drink beer, and not worry about all the crazy drivers. Wish I was rich enough to do that all the time!

Most of these guys are honest, hard working people. A few scammers, but most are not. And for what we pay, we are really lucky! Like another guy said, be glad you don't live in Phuket. Or Samui. Or even Singapore. We are very lucky here.

If you are from Chonburi and don't want to deal with the queue after arrival, call a service to meet you. I used Mr. T's (recommended on TV by several members) and it was great. Met me at arrivals, took my bags, and had a nice ride to my hotel. A great way to go.

Every time I land at the airport from abroad I walk to the taxi-stand and see between 10 and 20 guys waiting and a line that is constantly moving. 30min I can believe...

Rubbish reply :) ,

seems you never went to the Transportation Center, next to it you would see the vast number of taxis waiting their turn to be allowed to get in line at arrivals. I have no idea how long drivers have to wait there, but I would not like to be part of them.

im all for the 50baht fee but for god's sake please stop blaming the 'rental companies' as if the small guy is preyd on.

Most taxis drivers are dumb enough to rent the new expensive model(600 to 1500 a day) instead of renting an ok taxi(95-2000) for 250baht a day

I understand what you are saying BUT

I have ridden in a few dodgy taxis here in LOS, they must have been the 100 baht per day jobbies and these days if one of them comes along I do NOT engage its services, theres nothing like sitting in a dirty hot old taxi with virtually no suspension shocks and the springs in the rear seat riding up ur arse. :)

One day i was in one and we got caught in a traffic jam, to make matters worse i couldnt get out because I was on a section of Rama 2 which is bound in by a little klong and you cant cross the road to get to the footpath because the klong is there. Worse still the fekkin thing broke down and then the taxi driver asked me to push it to the side of the road........i ended up riding on the rear step of a ute to the next break in the klong so I could catch another taxi.....i was on my way to a domestic flight to Krabi and was draging 40kg of luggage with me :D:D

I tell ya, Im snobby now, Im looking for a clean new taxi & a well presented driver.

So the taxi driver that pays 1200 baht per day probably knows this & Im more likely to tip if my journey is pleasant and calm.

]

WRONG! Clearly you have never ever seen the HOLD-area, which is beside the busterminal. There are most of times 100s, if not well over a 1000 taxi's waiting for their turn. Their are flagged off (so cannot really go out) by blocks-so that at arrivals there should be steady flow to arriving passengers. This is so that they do not obstruct all of the ramps into the terminal building.One major point is that times for departures and main arrivals times do not at all parrallel.

At old Don Muang it was quite easy to pick up locals along the main road. At swampy thats not possible-and the nearest public main road is Lard Krabang-with not that many demand.

Also note that at BUSstations like Mochit and Ekamai there is an official 20 bt surcharge for taximeters, and I believe also at HuaLamPong main station.

Please dot not post blatant incorrect opinions as facts before making sure how the situation is. This is really too much of a TV fenomenon giving the genral imprersion its a forum for nitwits and ill-informed fictional facts.

He cant help it :):D