Need Advice For New Tv

bikerlou47

So I am finally ready to part with BIG bucks to buy a flat screen 40 or 42 inch!

90% of the time I am watching TV from my Slingbox in USA and we all know abou tthe quality of the Internet here in Thailand!

I never watch DVD's but who knows maybe in the future I will.

So what do you guys think?

Plasma or LCD?

A particular brand over another?

Does it make a difference where the speakers are located? Side or bottom?

Should I get an external stereo to hook up to the TV?

At this time my computer does not have a HDMI connection but I do have a VGA connection.

Can I hook it up to a USB port?

Thanks for your help.

Plasma does seem to give a better picture, especially with fast motion/action material.

Power hungry, twice the levels of LCD (are you watching your carbon footprint?)

See these threads for other discussions and advice:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Lcd-Televisi...er-t304980.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Choosing-Com...Tv-t297838.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/40-Lcd-Tv-La...io-t284606.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Samsung-Seri...Tv-t268828.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tips-Plasma-...nd-t289664.html

Plasma is better as a general rule, but there are exceptions. Since people usually keep a TV a long time I recommend pushing the budget.

Panasonic and some Samsung are the best for Plasma. If you an find a Pioneer Plasma Kuro, either buy it or tell me where. They are still by far the best consumer plasmas ever made and some dealers are really trying to stiff people on them.

Plasma does use more power, but newer models have gotten better. On some you have to consider extra fan or aircon use in the room.

40 to 42 prices have come down. At that size you might be able to get a 720p resolution and save some green and not notice the difference.

I would highly recommend getting a 46 to 52 inch screen and 1080p resolution if your budget allows, bigger is better.

BTW a led tv is a lcd tv that uses led rather than fluorescents for the light source They are often more frugal with electricity. The most expensive type has led's behind the screen rather than at the edge. These tv can do some local dimming of the led's to help one of lcd's weak spots that is getting real black black's.

You could go to cnet.com for more information than you need.

One more thought are for the dlp projection TV's. They can be huge and much cheaper. Most are now about 10-15 inches deep so no skinny screen, but the most bang for your buck. Mitsubishi makes and excellent 60 incher that is available in the US for about $1,200. Samsung also still (I believe) makes these and they had 2 on display at Numchai Pattaya Suk last time I was there. With them there is one problem that has gotten much better with the new models, but not solved in all new models. Some people my wife, but not me can see flashes of rainbow like distortions at rare times in areas of high contrast. Watch something with high contrast, explosions in a night scene are a prime example. If you do not see the rainbows you might be able to get a giant TV for a good price and few folks are now bothered by the rainbow distortion that was more common in earlier models.

If you are going to buy a nice tv, please get an HDMI source. Also these days power buy and Numchai are offering some excellent deals that include a simple home theater. I believe that good sound adds more to the cinematic experience than the size of the tv.

Enjoy

kdf

Good luck

I'm also in the market for an LCD TV.

I went to Tesco today, and they had the Samsung Series 450 (26") on sale for 12,000 baht. For most situations I think the 26" would be too small, but the room I am thinking about putting it in is not very large, and I would only be sitting about 2.5 meters from the screen.

Here are some of the specs:

HD ready

50 HZ

1366 x 768

HDMI x3

Sound Output:down-firing 5Wx2

It will mainly be used for watching UBC and connecting my netbook for surfing the internet and watch movies on my hard drive.

I had originally been thinking about a 32" and spending about 15,000-17,000, but this Samsung seems like a pretty good deal.

Any thoughts?

Edited by up-country_sinclair

As far as quality is concerned... Samsung LED with a surround sound system is rather excellent. Also, the prices have dropped a little over the past month or so.

True Visions lets the picture quality down a little (on the 46" I have), however I am sometimes surprised by True and the quality is rather good (I have not yet worked out how or why it improves).

DVD's, even the Panthip and Fortune town DVD9's at B100-150 show up excellently - I've not yet had a chance to watch a Blu-Ray Movie but I expect it'll be quite an experience.

This TV (46" Samsung LED Series 7 - With Blu-Ray home theatre - B89,000) should last me many years - at least 5.

(so when put into perspective its costing B1483 per month which is cheaper than the True Visions Platinum package)

For the really budget minded - there is a shop right next door to Jedi Computers in Pan Tip Plaza - selling new but probably discontinued Samsumg models for very low prices.

I bought a series 3 - 26 inch for my bedroom - I think I paid 10,900 at HomePro. Might not be awesome for a computer monitor though. Saw series 3 & series 4 there yest.