Where Did You Have The Christmas Lunch. The Buffet Lunch At Shangri La Was Packed!

Maccheroncini

Please tell us more. Price? Did they have imported roast beef or prime rib? Was it tender? Imported raw oysters? Crab or lobster? Did they have ham and turkey? Were the salads typical or inspired?

Did they have armed guards at the desert station, or could you take what you wanted? :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Please tell us more. Price? Did they have imported roast beef or prime rib? Was it tender? Imported raw oysters? Crab or lobster? Did they have ham and turkey? Were the salads typical or inspired?

Did they have armed guards at the desert station, or could you take what you wanted? :)

Can't speak for today but the Shangri La buffet on normal days can only be described as a mini buffet

No great choice and low value foods on display;which is why I suppose they only need guards on the dessert counter

Has the op any connection with any organisation promoting the shangri la

Can't speak for today but the Shangri La buffet on normal days can only be described as a mini buffet

No great choice and low value foods on display;which is why I suppose they only need guards on the dessert counter

Has the op any connection with any organisation promoting the shangri la?

This has been my experience also. I was kind of suprised that it is apparently, suddenly the place to go.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Montien Riverside buffet.

Not an extensive range, but quite OK. A very nice location and the place busy without being crowded. No waiting to get to the various buffet sections.

We go there most years for Xmas and will probably do so again next year, barring unforeseen circumstances.

Cost? Don't know. Mrs Xangsamhua paid, but she said it wasn't very expensive. There were six of us, including rellies from Australia.

Sorry, I just realised this is the Chiangmai forum. :)

Edited by Xangsamhua

I must concur with others, the Shangrila standard has dropped to barely average. Last year, I would rate it as the top buffet for lunch or dinner, but they must have lost a lot. The saturday buffet used to be 299++, They had every station open, roast duck, sushi, wonderful main courses, side dishes. The deserts are still good, but their selection reduced more than half.

I used to frequent their buffet a few times a month, but I won't go back again. Their entire staff has changed also.

There Sunday buffet price has been reduced to about 400 baht from their original 700. It is not as good either but still is almost worth it. Good selection and quality.

I say it is the biggest let down. It is common though in chiangmai, to have a great place to eat and then after a few months or a year, they either raise rates, cut proportions, or quality and sometimes all three.

Just had the buffet dinner at The Dukes because the Shangri-La was full. The food was typically good. Ham, turkey, prime rib, salmon, crab, giant prawns, oysters, cheeses, salads, etc, etc. Burp.

1100 a person.

Edited by wimpy

I must concur with others, the Shangrila standard has dropped to barely average. Last year, I would rate it as the top buffet for lunch or dinner, but they must have lost a lot. The saturday buffet used to be 299++, They had every station open, roast duck, sushi, wonderful main courses, side dishes. The deserts are still good, but their selection reduced more than half.

I used to frequent their buffet a few times a month, but I won't go back again. Their entire staff has changed also.

There Sunday buffet price has been reduced to about 400 baht from their original 700. It is not as good either but still is almost worth it. Good selection and quality.

I say it is the biggest let down. It is common though in chiangmai, to have a great place to eat and then after a few months or a year, they either raise rates, cut proportions, or quality and sometimes all three.

Went to the Shangrila last sunday 20 dec. it was crap poor selection of salad poor selection of main course dishes the roast beef was like leather and a poor selection of sweets but the bread was OK thats about all not worth the 470 bath at all I suppose it could have been a bad day but who wants to a fancy place and hope that they are going to have a good day

I went to Shangri La for the lunch buffet in mid November and was surprised to see that they had reverted back to the old system of having the full salad bar, sushi, full dessert bar, hot foods in the back, etc. 199 Baht each plus 10% service and 7% VAT; 10% discount with my membership card.

I went again this Tuesday since last time was a good experience. When we walked in, low and behold no salad bar, no sushi, no hot foods and limited dessert choices. Only 2-3 salads, pizza (terrible), pasta and limited desserts. My g/f asked the waitress what was going on - why the change (again). She said she didn't think they had the full buffet for a long time. We assured her we had been there last month and the full buffet was available. Next thing we know there are 3 ladies and the male manager at our table. My g/f repeated the scenario. They gave us that look like we were in the Twilight Zone. "No, no have" said the manager to me. "Maybe you went Bangkok". I assured him we were not in BKK last month. Then... "Oh we had full buffet for Father's Day 5 December." We again told him no we were there in November.... Typical inconsistency in Thailand. Then when we got the bill it was only 358 Baht compared to 470 Baht last time. We got up to leave and decided we would not return. As I got to the stairs I realized that the lovely girl who was our waitress had made a mistake. I know that in Thailand if an employee makes a mistake that the loss comes out of her pay and that would not be fair. I brought the mistake to her attention and she was so relieved that I was honest. This time 421.60 Baht.

We went to Bake and Bite this evening. It was just as good as it has been the two years before. The new location is the nicest of all of them. We ate a lot, made some new friends, and had a nice time!

Thank you, khunphilip and newbie001 for your clear opinions about buffets.

My recent experiences -- at a variety of buffets -- match your comments.

After many, bad experiences, I've decided, "No more buffets".

Christmas dinner, I too went to a buffet (not Shangri-La).

The restaurant is normally superb -- ala-carte only, no buffet -- but the special, Christmas buffet was very disappointing.

I paid the bill and left, then went to a little Italian place and had a plate of pasta.

Newbie001 is right when he wrote:

... common though in chiangmai, to have a great place to eat and then after a few months or a year, they either raise rates, cut proportions, or quality and sometimes all three.

I agree, and from now on, I'm not willing to risk any buffets; not at Christmas, not at any time, and especially not in hotels.

From now on, I'm only willing to order ala-carte, where the food is cooked fresh.

And if I ever see another chocolate fountain, I'll be out of there in a flash.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Thank you, khunphilip and newbie001 for your clear opinions about buffets.

My recent experiences -- at a variety of buffets -- match your comments.

After many, bad experiences, I've decided, "No more buffets".

Christmas dinner, I too went to a buffet (not Shangri-La).

The restaurant is normally superb -- ala-carte only, no buffet -- but the special, Christmas buffet was very disappointing.

I paid the bill and left, then went to a little Italian place and had a plate of pasta.

Newbie001 is right when he wrote:

... common though in chiangmai, to have a great place to eat and then after a few months or a year, they either raise rates, cut proportions, or quality and sometimes all three.

I agree, and from now on, I'm not willing to risk any buffets; not at Christmas, not at any time, and especially not in hotels.

From now on, I'm only willing to order ala-carte, where the food is cooked fresh.

And if I ever see another chocolate fountain, I'll be out of there in a flash.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Oneman

Before you give up on the dinner Buffet in hotel's I would suggest the Kantari Hills hotel,Neimenheimen soi 11(?), on their Buffet night. I too do not have much time for buffets, but I was taken there by a friend. I was quite pleasently surprised. There was a choice of beef,chicken,lamb,pork along with a selection of vegtables, various salads etc. There was a sweet table as well, though no chocolate fountain I hasten to add. What surprised me most was the quality of the beef, absolutely first class, so much so I went back for a second lot. Okay maybe the Yorkshires could do with a little work, but I would not hesitate to recommend the place. My dining partner had the lamb and the pork as his main course, which he assured me he also enjoyed.

I do not know what the cost was as my friend picked up the bill. As far as I know it is only one night during the week when there is a buffet, I think it was Thursday. They also had a couple of musicians in there who did a fine job, to say the least. The sound level was not too high so that you could actually talk and get heard quite easily.

Before you ask.........no I have nothing to do with the hotel, or persons working there. I just enjoyed it and felt that I should spread the word.

Before you give up on the dinner Buffet in hotel's I would suggest the Kantari Hills hotel,Neimenheimen soi ?

It is Nimman soi 12.

Thank you, Mickmac, I know it well.

And the decline in quality at Nimman Grill in Kantary Hills Hotel was one of the major factors in my decision of, "No more buffets".

I didn't eat there for Christmas dinner, but the thread topic here seems to have expanded to buffets in general, so I will comment about Nimman Grill:

Lots of breads (cheap).

Slices of most items are paper thin (trying to make less appear as more).

Items that should be hot, are not.

Items that should be chilled -- like salads and some desserts -- are not.

The price is low, and so quality must be trimmed to fit the price.

So last time I was there (about three weeks ago) I ordered Fillet Mignon dinner set with imported beef.

The quality of that has declined compared to previous experiences, but the price is still the same.

Beef portion size was about 2/3 of past servings.

Beef probably was imported, but the quality -- flavour and texture -- was nowhere near the past standard.

Salad was 1/2 size of previous meals there, and now with more lettuce (cheap) and less other vegetables (more costly).

Cafe de Paris sauce was bland, lacking herbs (costly).

When it first opened -- about two years ago -- Kantary's Nimman Grill was among my top restaurant choices in Chiangmai.

But when I saw the buffet appear -- about one year ago -- I started to worry.

In my observations, when a buffet appears at any restaurant -- where previously there was no buffet -- all of the food quality declines, even the ala-carte.

It's moral hazard at work in the kitchen.

Impossible to offer good quality at an ala-carte table, while trying to scratch out a profit from the buffet table.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

(Psssst, Mickmac: No need to quote a full post on forums like this one. Just a relevant sentence or three is sufficient to focus your reply.)

Edited by Oneman

Xmas eve - 1,000 baht buffet at the Kantary Hills (off Nimenheman west side).

Four Seasons Mae Rim - Xmas lunch buffet - 1800 no booze / 2200 all you can drink.

===

Xmas eve - 1,000 baht buffet at the Kantary Hills

OK variety - including a chocolate bar. Shrimp bisque was great - chef said it took two days to reduce. Turkey was a little dry, but the stuffing was fantastic - light and rich at the same time. They had a ham there too.

Shrimp flambe Pernod were decent - the shrimp didn't really stand out. Oysters (small), mussels, and large prawns on the seafood tray. Little steak-ettes in a rich wine sauce - a little tough. Trout Almandine - nice, but oversalted.

More stuff - including a few other shrimp dishes - can't remember everything. Very good smoked salmon, and marinated salmon.

Overall it was pretty good, but not an overwhelming variety, and not fantastic quality. Satisfying though. Ate lots.

Oh yeah - free glass of punch to start, and a fantastic Irish Coffee to finish. The pastries were very good - real butter etc etc...

Chocolate bar was also great - no rug-rats ruining it with their grimy little paws!

btw - their regular buffet is 150bt Mondays and Fridays.

===

Four Seasons - Xmas lunch buffet - 1800 no booze / 2200 all you can drink.

This place is the shit! The sushi and sashimi were fantastic - top grade tuna tasted almost like roast beef, AND the tuna sushi was topped with salmon caviar(Ikura). No, they didn't just serve the caviar by itself! Also had blow-torched thin-butterflied prawns - the top quality of all the ingredients here really made the meal. The first thing I tasted was the soy sauce for the sushi - even it was of clearly superior quality

Little shrimp spring rolls that really tasted of shrimp!

Lobster, mussels, prawns, on the seafood platter. (No fresh oysters as Xmas did not fall on a Saturday this year!).

A small assortment of quite good dim-sum.

Luscious little lamb chops - either grilled or Indian-spiced and cooked in their real tandoor (I had both) - luscious and tender. Chicken also served either way. No green chutney though, and the raita was a little watery - oh well!

Turkey, prime rib, (and I think I saw a ham too) on the carvery - didn't even try them - heard that both the beef and turkey were tender and juicy.

Beef carpaccio, smoked salmon (better than the Kantary), excellent humus and baba ganooj...

Full cheese tray, breads, salads, etc etc

I know I am forgetting a lot. Some other seafood dishes. I remember a pasta bar with fresh-made sauces - didn't sample them. Oh yeah - some Thai dishes, including Som Tam!

NO CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN, and if anything was a little weak it would be the deserts - ok, but nothing fancy. The pastries at the Kantary were better.

Service at both the Kantary and the Four Seasons was top notch - friendly and accommodating.

===

For supper I had Pad Kai Nem with a little rice, and a touch of Nam Pla Prik (the food stand uses a little lime in theirs) - delicious and 35bt!

Kantary Hills

Salad & Antipasto Buffet

Every Monday & Friday from 18:00 - 22:00 hrs.

True only Only 150 baht but this is more used as a segue into dinner and not dinner itself.

Wanted the cost conscience to be aware of this.

Can't remember how they said the price was but by the end I paid around 822.5 bath each.  And yes we could grab anything we want at the dessert area. :)   There were Turkey, Leg of lamb, Xmas Ham, Grilled chicken breast (which was juicy and tender) with sundried tomato, Roast beef, Salmon, etc..   I think there was even some Tofu as well.   There were also some steamed crab legs, not King crab though, shrimps and New Zealand mussels.  Very nice and creamy Ceasar salad dressing and some Japanese food which was typical.  

I was drawn to the dessert so much I didn't care to take the picture of the food it self.  

Did they have armed guards at the desert station, or could you take what you wanted? :D

post-50475-1261771203_thumb.jpg

'Slices of most items are paper thin (trying to make less appear as more).'

This was completely opposite to what I was given to eat, 2 thick slices of pink beef, that was both very tender and succulent. As I say it was the only time I have been there, this was early December when we went. Maybe I just struck lucky that night, it might be that as we were going in there at approx 7:30 and as most people had eaten they were giving out larger portions, I don't know, but like I said I really did enjoy it.

Hubby and I went to Tuskers for our Christmas dinner. It was superb! It wasn't a buffet, but instead they had set menu which consisted of several types of meat, both mashed and cottage-fried potatoes, a rich sausage stuffing, cranberry sauce, mixed veggies, shrimp for starters and desserts to die for. The whole operation was very well organized, the place cutely decorated for the holiday and the staff was their usual cheerful selves.

We left feeling stuffed and happy. I can't imagine spending 1100 baht for a buffet -- we just can't eat that much. Our total bill, including a couple large Leos was less than that.

'Slices of most items are paper thin (trying to make less appear as more).'

This was completely opposite to what I was given to eat, 2 thick slices of pink beef, that was both very tender and succulent. As I say it was the only time I have been there, this was early December when we went. Maybe I just struck lucky that night, it might be that as we were going in there at approx 7:30 and as most people had eaten they were giving out larger portions, I don't know, but like I said I really did enjoy it.

My friend, who took me to the restaurant, informs me that it was the Wednesday Carvery night that we went to, not the buffet. Sorry about that folks.

I went to Shangri La for the lunch buffet in mid November and was surprised to see that they had reverted back to the old system of having the full salad bar, sushi, full dessert bar, hot foods in the back, etc. 199 Baht each plus 10% service and 7% VAT; 10% discount with my membership card.

I went again this Tuesday since last time was a good experience. When we walked in, low and behold no salad bar, no sushi, no hot foods and limited dessert choices. Only 2-3 salads, pizza (terrible), pasta and limited desserts. My g/f asked the waitress what was going on - why the change (again). She said she didn't think they had the full buffet for a long time. We assured her we had been there last month and the full buffet was available. Next thing we know there are 3 ladies and the male manager at our table. My g/f repeated the scenario. They gave us that look like we were in the Twilight Zone. "No, no have" said the manager to me. "Maybe you went Bangkok". I assured him we were not in BKK last month. Then... "Oh we had full buffet for Father's Day 5 December." We again told him no we were there in November.... Typical inconsistency in Thailand. Then when we got the bill it was only 358 Baht compared to 470 Baht last time. We got up to leave and decided we would not return. As I got to the stairs I realized that the lovely girl who was our waitress had made a mistake. I know that in Thailand if an employee makes a mistake that the loss comes out of her pay and that would not be fair. I brought the mistake to her attention and she was so relieved that I was honest. This time 421.60 Baht.

We went to Bake and Bite this evening. It was just as good as it has been the two years before. The new location is the nicest of all of them. We ate a lot, made some new friends, and had a nice time!

I experienced the same at the Shangri-La last November - a one-time-only-better-than-the-usually-poor selection. Explanation - they expected a special-large group to be dining there that particular day and therefore put on their 'A' game. Many months ago the Shangri-law was quite good. These days the norm for the Shangri-La is extremely poor. What I understand is that they have suffered financially and are up for sale.

As far as normal (Monday - Saturday) lunch buffet, the Amari Rincon can not be beat.

Now - on topic - the Xmas buffet at the Dukes was one of the best I ever experienced. Price was high (1100 baht as previously posted) but you definitely received what you paid for. Superb!

Has the op any connection with any organisation promoting the shangri la?

This has been my experience also. I was kind of suprised that it is apparently, suddenly the place to go.

I am surprised too but also intrigued. It seems to be getting promoted by people who have either not been there or have a motive for promoting it. Is any one organisation behind this?

I am surprised too but also intrigued. It seems to be getting promoted by people who have either not been there or have a motive for promoting it. Is any one organisation behind this?

What do you base that statement on?

Marinakorn

Thai and western buffet, wide selection of starters, mains, and desserts

No real criticisms. You could have as much turkey as you wished but there were none of the usual accompaniments to the meat. The wide selection made up for that.

Table clearance was swift, water topped up regularly. Staff cheerful. Ownership and management are Thai chinese which may explain much.

Anyone have experience of Marinakorn?

What do you base that statement on?

The fact that most posters, who seem to have eaten there, have very different views from the way it is proposed as the best buffet in town by certain people in certain quarters.

Even if they get free or subsidised meals or other benefits, that is not a reason for anyone to promote in a misrepresentative way.

From talking to many expats most are aware of what is being talked about.