Senseless Thai Myths

penzman

the haircut on wednesday comes from some thai man a couple hundred jyears ago who wrote a long lenghty piece about proper behavior for thai men and thai women, just saw it somewhere actually its antique will look for it: what colour to wear each day; to bathe each day (that why thais shower so much), which direction to face when sleeping, etc ; also for how women should treat a man etc etc... it was on a different forum that i just happend upon... will now attempt to find it

What I've heard from Barbers over the years is that it has to do with some 'wan phra' kinda thing, but most barbers ignore that now. It wasn't that way when I first moved here. Then, you'd have a very tough time finding a place open on wed....

The sleeping direction has to do with Buddhism, it seems, from what I've been told. Facing the west (tawan tok) signifies death and is considered by some to be bad luck. I've always thought death was bad luck, too, so I make sure I'm facing the other way.... I think north is ideal, but I can't remember the reasoning why...

My grandmother would always do that too...she said it was because of the 'poles' and that sleeping with your head facing north was much better. :o

The sleeping direction has to do with Buddhism, it seems, from what I've been told. Facing the west (tawan tok) signifies death and is considered by some to be bad luck. I've always thought death was bad luck, too, so I make sure I'm facing the other way....

I don't think sleeping direction has to do with Buddhism - it's more about Thai funeral custom - the body is laid out with the head pointing west, therefore living people should not do so....

The British army breaking step when marching over bridges is another one. It is unfounded and stems from one march over the river irwell in manchester which collapsed. Everafter the troops would break step on Bridges.
For sure, no myth!

All armys do so, because if they don't a bridge can start to swing and finally collapse caused by the marching in step.

Patex

today i was told not to eat a cherry that had an other cherry attatched like siamese twins i.e. grown together... or i will have twins if i get pregnant

over the hill and so wont be able to test this one... :o

The British army breaking step when marching over bridges is another one. It is unfounded and stems from one march over the river irwell in manchester which collapsed. Everafter the troops would break step on Bridges.
For sure, no myth!

All armys do so, because if they don't a bridge can start to swing and finally collapse caused by the marching in step.

Patex

very true, you beat me to it :o