What About An Expats Club In Chiangmai?

Oneman

OK, so make it a Japanese/Korean gentleman's club.

These guys know how to make it work.

Individual lockers- for the member's premium Scotch.

Fresh sushi/sashimi, served by attractive hostesses.

Steam room/sauna.

:)

:D I 'm in for a yard maybe two.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the "vision" of this so-called "Gentlemens' Club" begins to emerge from the alcoholic haze of perpetually fogged-in farang male minds, accompanied by images of : sushi, boxing arenas, black balls and football, initiation rituals involving bared breasts and lifted-trousers, stilton cheese, subservient attractive hostesses, pubs, saunas, pool tables, snooker, and debate on racial, sexual, and "social class" criteria for membership, etc. ...

We think a good strong name might help its evolution further.

Since we desire to help said evolution further based on our view that a concentration of scum in one known place makes it easier to avoid encounter with scum who are dispersed around the city willy-nilly :

We propose the name "LESS," an acronym for "Limp Ego Social Society."

And for a motto, to paraphrase a former governor of the state of California : "LESS is MORE."

Where "MORE" is also an acronym : "Males Overcompensating Reduced Erectability"

Hope this helps !

~o:37;

I like it :) Quite fitting really : faceless, home (country) less, career-less, worry-less, and of course legless for openers. Less is More Club, pithy. You score again O-37

It would require a healthy selection of top shelf whisky....

(and I am not talking about fartlabel or glennmorraine)

something like taliskers, laphroaig, bowmore, ardberg... etc..

stuff you can't get in bars around here.

I am sure the brandy and congac people have their equivalents.

d

Maybe we could make it like the Tiger Kingdom - charge an entrance fee and an extra fee to "hug the farang" :)

What a wonderful idea. I had not thought of it.

What sort of fee did you have in mind for when you enter the enclosure. Do we pay you or Tiger Kingdom.

It would make a good club outing to see how the detractors on these threads actually behave. Would we be allowed to throw you peanuts or just satang coins.

Good to see a constructive post though, makes a change from those hijacking a thread.

( please don't tell too many people cmsally , but Tiger Kingdom offers free water at least in the buffet and I think in the a la carte restaurant though I am not sure of that as I ordered mineral water which is of course chargeable. But please. Mum's the word. Let's keep Kevin behind the bar.

As the "vision" of this so-called "Gentlemens' Club" begins to emerge from the alcoholic haze of perpetually fogged-in farang male minds, accompanied by images of : sushi, boxing arenas, black balls and football, initiation rituals involving bared breasts and lifted-trousers, stilton cheese, subservient attractive hostesses, pubs, saunas, pool tables, snooker, and debate on racial, sexual, and "social class" criteria for membership, etc. ...

We think a good strong name might help its evolution further.

Since we desire to help said evolution further based on our view that a concentration of scum in one known place makes it easier to avoid encounter with scum who are dispersed around the city willy-nilly :

We propose the name "LESS," an acronym for "Limp Ego Social Society."

And for a motto, to paraphrase a former governor of the state of California : "LESS is MORE."

Where "MORE" is also an acronym : "Males Overcompensating Reduced Erectability"

Hope this helps !

~o:37;

I like it :) Quite fitting really : faceless, home (country) less, career-less, worry-less, and of course legless for openers. Less is More Club, pithy. You score again O-37

Indeed, we don't understand his every word, but O-37 is cheerful, clever without being caustic. A good example to follow.

Back on topic - I think it's an interesting idea, but who or how would you decide who could join? Black balls and white balls? As someone once said 'I wouldn't want to be a member of a club that allowed people like me to be members.' (or something like that).

It was Groucho Marx and I did mention it on a previous posting along with the obvious black ball jokes but because I quoted David Oxon It got deleted :)

Personally I won't join any gentlemans club until there is a bit of ritual involved - roled up trouser legs and bared breasts and all that caper :D

Wrong.

It was Woody Allen from the film, Annie Hall. who made that quote.

I’m not joining unless I get a badge and a Gentlemen’s club elite card.

We've quoted Groucho, with malapropisms, at least 4 times.

We've hemmed and hawed, dithered, flamed...all to no conclusion.

So where is the first meeting, gentlemen?

Maybe I'll drop by for a tea, or stronger. :D

Already its a Brittish club, how Boring!!

Nothing wrong with a British Club per say.....or Afganistanni........or Iraqi.......or North Korean.......the magic is in the punters that it attracts........can be great or unfortunately on occasion .... gru-som..... :)

Anyway as said earlier there are loads of gentlemens "clubs"all over the Mai........phut... Pubs...with no joining fee and or childish - retards rolling up trouser legs and pretending to cut off bits of your what-evers.....

Make mine a pint :D ....but no nuts...mai chorp :D

OK, so make it a Japanese/Korean gentleman's club.

These guys know how to make it work.

Individual lockers- for the member's premium Scotch.

Fresh sushi/sashimi, served by attractive hostesses.

Steam room/sauna.

:)

True that. But then I couldn't join. Of course I've never been a joiner and always sailed the seas less traveled.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

Groucho Marx

Woody Allen stole it from Groucho.

Now you have ruined my reputation as a know all.

Anyway, it doesn`t look like this elite gentlemens club is ever going get passed talking about it on ThaiVisa, so where ever you are and whoever you are:

Wishing you all a very happy, healthy, wealthy and prosperous 2010.

2010, scary isn`t it. Where have all the years gone? The 21st century was complete science fiction when I was a kid.

If the idea was something along the lines of a group of like-minded souls getting together once a week or once a month to maybe go for a meal at a different restaurant, or visit different bars or go on the occasional outing it might work, but a permanent based club would be a non-starter I would think. Too expensive and not enough people willing to fork out, I reckon. A male equivalent of the International women's group, maybe? Not that I know too much about what they get up to.

If the idea was something along the lines of a group of like-minded souls getting together once a week or once a month to maybe go for a meal at a different restaurant, or visit different bars or go on the occasional outing it might work, but a permanent based club would be a non-starter I would think. Too expensive and not enough people willing to fork out, I reckon. A male equivalent of the International women's group, maybe? Not that I know too much about what they get up to.

That's a perfect summary of what was in mind. Unless a lottery winner bought a unique location and donated it to the club, a bar or restaurant would be the solution. The op did mention that actually but there were more "fun" responses than serious ideas and I notice he has not posted recently.

I actually enjoy threads that contain both

That is probably the best idea, Kevin. I belong to a writers group and we meet once a week at a restaurant. It seems to work for our group. But, every club relies on someone who is willing to carry most of the load and get things organized. There are too few of those type of people in this world. I'm certainly not one of them, but I appreciate the effort made by others. If it gets a bit too much like a clique then so what. Take the good with the bad.

That's a perfect summary of what was in mind. Unless a lottery winner bought a unique location and donated it to the club, a bar or restaurant would be the solution. The op did mention that actually but there were more "fun" responses than serious ideas and I notice he has not posted recently.

I actually enjoy threads that contain both

I think that there is a gentleman's group that meets up at the pub once a week for lunch, sure I saw it mentioned in CM Mail or such like.

That is probably the best idea, Kevin. I belong to a writers group and we meet once a week at a restaurant. It seems to work for our group. But, every club relies on someone who is willing to carry most of the load and get things organized. There are too few of those type of people in this world. I'm certainly not one of them, but I appreciate the effort made by others. If it gets a bit too much like a clique then so what. Take the good with the bad.

That was the op's view too Ian; but the thread got derailed and no one seems inclined to get it back on the tracks.

Pity; because the basic idea, which could have been worked on, was good.

Sawasdee Khrup, TV Friends,

If this post is removed, or edited, then that's goodbye for us from ThaiVisa, so Happy New Year, if that happens and you don't hear from us again :)

Seriously, there are many expat clubs in Chiang Mai, for both men and women. And never harm starting another one : you are free to do so, defining the criterion for membership in any way you like; in fact, given TIT (this is Thailand), you are probably more free here to start a "somewhat public" club with highly exclusionary membership requirements than, say, in the US, or Europe.

Suggestion : instead of viewing the "club you want" as something that has to appear "full grown" from the "get-go" : think about just starting with a few friends, and making it happen, and letting it grow slowly, making it more "formal" as required, as it evolves. In other words, demonstrate, act out, perform, what you wish to happen, and see the response you get. Endless debates about structure, policy, and leadership are the death of many good social ideas.

The Wednesday night photography club here is, we think, a very fine example of a great group in Chiang Mai where both men and women respect each other, and contribute to each other's knowledge, and have fun, and facilitated by excellent leadership. The "Northern Thai Study Group," meeting once a month : another good example.

The kind of club we'd like to join would be one where being a person, and showing respect for persons, is so much more important than gender, and all are equal participants. But, we don't need any club for that since our small circle of friends is already : exactly that.

If we were to join an "all male" club, it would have to be only for the purpose of worshipping the Sacred Feminine Nature of the Godhead, and for group atonement, through public service and charitable acts, with other men for whatever karma resulted in our being born incompletely female, and, thus, incapable of the miracle of conception and birth.

We ourselves, pray that if our human has the bad karma to be re-incarnated male again, he will, in the words of the English comedian Eddie Izzard : be at the least : "a lesbian trapped in a man's body."

p.s. To do penance for our previous "crimes" on this thread (we were even accused of intent to kill the thread in one private e-mail message from one of our CM TV "professional carpers"), we have abstained from flagellation for an entire day, and donated the 60 baht we spend daily for about 3.4 liters of fresh soy milk (up from 48 baht last month !) to the Sisters of St. Surplus Organ-Transplant Bingo Foundation.

Ultimatums are probably not the best response orang.

thank you for staying within the topic in this post. In the future, please remember to refrain from hijacking, flaming or otherwise baiting. If you do not agree with the concept then there is no need for you to read the thread. Cheers.

I think perhaps this should have been a poll, as it stands its hard to see if (or how) the OPs questions has been answered. Its moved through evry kind of quip, argueing about quotes fromn 80 years ago, excluding genders whilst including non-expats (Thais), a history of soccer (football and rugby vs soccer and football) and umpteen other tangents.

As to the basic idea - which I gather was a social group of expats, then I think its a fine idea. If its kept within the TV CM-ers, then oirganisation is too difficult, a sub forum here for announcements as to venue and maybe a couple of people organise the next venue on a rotation (or names out of a hat). Good way for newbies to make friends and some of us to get to know each other without waiting for the next BBQ. Perhaps one of the bar owners here could oblige with the first venue to get the ball roilling????

I'd prefer if it was kept as Expats (or TV members perhaps?) - any gender (this is will mostly males anyway for those that think women can't talk sport).

Anyway, I'd be in. Restuarants monthly (bi-monthly at most) and maybe a Friday or Saturday night beer-a-thon at a new venue each week for those that want.

There is lot of sense in what Wolf is saying. His input earlier would have been useful.

It went off on lots of tangents, as you say, Wolf. A few amusing asides were fun and raised a laugh with many a poster, me included. But, together with the constant flaming that had to be dealt with by the mods, it resulted in there being very few posts on the thread that dealt with the ops idea.( Thanks are due to sbk for trying to keep it civilised )

I agree that the Op was not that clear in his first post*. Raising the point that the two expat clubs are business opportunities for the owners, though true, was a red herring and made it look as if he was seeking an alternative to them but with men only and under the traditional set up of a gentlemen's club.

I sincerely believe the op was open to discussion on how a club could be run. We are in the twenty first century and the club would not have been in the same mold as that caricatured by some posters. Some of your ideas, Wolf, seem to suggest a modern type of club could work but you may experience the same fate as the op raising it on the open forum. Just a thought but maybe using the private message system would result in those interested setting up something informal much along the lines you suggested. A social group of expats ( and Thai partners, guests ?) of a like mind, respecting one anothers views.

Let's hope this can be salvaged.

caf

* raised also by bigwheelman

Ultimatums are probably not the best response orang.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun SBK,

We completely agree with you, the "ultimatum" part of the message was stupid and childish, a reflection of our "worst" parts. We apologize.

As for "baiting" : well, when a thread starts off with an original post, in which a statement occurs like : "Females and children are fine in their place" : we have to admit that is the kind of wriggling "bait" that makes us want to "snap" and "bite" with our mighty jaws :)

best, ~o:37;